I'm new here and have lots of questions...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mark_noi

Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Hello,

I'm a new member and just starting to learn about satellite TV. I just recently found out about c band when I was learning about ku band (my wife is Thai and she would like to watch Thai TV).

I'm thinking that with c band I would be able to pick up more programming overall?

Is there any Thai programming on c band?
For example, according to lyngsat.com, there is Thai programming on:
Intelsat 701
Optus A3, B3
Thaicom 1A, 2, 3
Hot Bird 3
Intelsat 907
Intelsat Americas 5
NSS 6
PAS 8
Telstar 10
ST 1

So can some of these be picked up with a c band lnb? Can someone describe the differences in lnb's to me or point me to a link about them?

Also, I'm really in the dark about how you find a satellite, please point me in a direction to learn about that if you can.

I'd like to pick up a used dish to start with and then add or replace any needed components. I went to look at a dish that is all metal that I can get for free. So, I was wondering, what is better, an all metal dish or a mesh dish? And what about surface rust on the metal dish, will that affect reception?

Also, could two households share one satellite dish? For example, could I split the line and have one line go into a receiver in my house and one line go into a receiver in my parent's house next door?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

dish feed to neighbors

I am pretty sure but don't hold me to it, that you can get a "stacked" lnbf that combines both horizontal and vertical polarities on the line at the same time.

instead of the receiver scanning the IF band from 950-1450 mhz, it will scan from 950-2150mhz on the coax without worrying with voltage switching polarity.

I know my fortec ultra lifetime FTA receiver will scan to 2150 mhz but of course with my lnbf's there is no signal after 1450 mhz.

If this would work then you could split the signal from a stacked lnbf with a power passing splitter and both receivers (or however many) could view the SAME satellite but DIFFERENT polarities at the same time.

OR just get a dual output lnbf (two coax connections on lnbf) and use a multiswitch This method would accomplish the same thing but require more coax, connectors and a multiswitch.

If there is room for another dish it MAY be cheaper to just purchase another dish and install at the neighbor's versus the cost of multiswitch, dual lnbf and more RG-6 coax.
Hope that helps - Trucker:)

When first getting into C-Band I tried sharing with my fathers property behind ours and it was a pain in the neck. Of course that was back in the LNA with downconverter days (1981) and we used a dual feedhorn along with a switching system so both polarities would work. However, even though I had control of the actuator (driven by an oil pump then) it was still a pain to get a phone call from one of them several times a day asking me to switch to another bird. C-band equipment was very expensive in those days (cost us about 14K for the system and no ku) but I still quickly found I would be happier if we had totally independent systems.

Thanks for the input.

I'm finding answers to some of my questions in the www.nmia.com/~roberst/tvro.faq.

I just found a second satellite dish that I can acquire, so I'll probably just set up a second dish for my parents.

I also found that a solid metal dish is better than the mesh type. But will surface rust affect it? I'll probably just set it up and get it working and then paint it later.

Are those satellites that I listed available with c band or do I need a ku band lnb?

Thanks,
Mark

mark_noi said:
Hello,

I'm a new member and just starting to learn about satellite TV. I just recently found out about c band when I was learning about ku band (my wife is Thai and she would like to watch Thai TV).

I'm thinking that with c band I would be able to pick up more programming overall?

Is there any Thai programming on c band?
For example, according to lyngsat.com, there is Thai programming on:
Intelsat 701
Optus A3, B3
Thaicom 1A, 2, 3
Hot Bird 3
Intelsat 907
Intelsat Americas 5
NSS 6
PAS 8
Telstar 10
ST 1

So can some of these be picked up with a c band lnb? Can someone describe the differences in lnb's to me or point me to a link about them?

Also, I'm really in the dark about how you find a satellite, please point me in a direction to learn about that if you can.

I'd like to pick up a used dish to start with and then add or replace any needed components. I went to look at a dish that is all metal that I can get for free. So, I was wondering, what is better, an all metal dish or a mesh dish? And what about surface rust on the metal dish, will that affect reception?

Also, could two households share one satellite dish? For example, could I split the line and have one line go into a receiver in my house and one line go into a receiver in my parent's house next door?

Thanks for the help,

Mark

First , what part of the world are you in ? This determines what sats you can POTENTIALLY pick up .

Second , for C band , for a PRACTICAL systen , 6' dish is probably
bare minimun , better with a 10' dish .

Wyr

mark_noi said:
We live near Rochester, NY.

First , go to
http://lyngsat.com/america.html

Since you are on the east coast , you should have no problem " seeing " the low number sats starting out with 61 degrees west Ku band and / or 65 gegrees west C band ( Spanish programing ) . Working your way west , AMC 4 at 101 degrees west is about middle of the country . Do not know how far west from there , you will be able to see .

From the east coast , you should be able to see some of the Atlantic sats at
http://lyngsat.com/america.html

I can hit Pas 9 from the south central part of the country .

The lyngsat chart has green for Ku band , pink for C band and yellow for both .

C band frequencies / TransPonders are 4 digits , Ku 5 digits .

Wyr

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)