Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This weekend I at the Dish Network Team Summit in Dallas Texas I got one of the new SR200 Sirius Radios.

When my plane landed at the airport I went into my suitcase and pulled out my radio and installed it right there in my truck. I turned on the radio and after it was done updating the channel list I was listening to the Sirius preview channel.

I called into Sirius to have my unit rehit (I was told at the show my unit would be activated within a few hours of me getting it, and when I got home I would need to call for a Rehit) I had no problem with that.

I called for the rehit and was told my account did not exist and there was no record of my ESN in the system.

We then proceeded to sign me up AGAIN for Sirius. The lady on the phone was friendly and told me they got so many radios given away in Dallas that they haven't finished entering all the activations yet. I know they ran out of the radios at the show, so again I had not problem with it.

Within a few seconds I got the Channel Activation message and was good to go. I listened to Sirius for a little while and was impressed with how it sounded via the built in FM Modulator. After listening for awhile I turned the unit off because we had picked up some friends for dinner and my wife wanted to talk with them.

This morning I woke up and got in my truck to go to work, a message came on (like Aquiring signal) and it stayed there. I started driving and then a few miles later audio started playing. I thought there was a satellite problem, and then went to the Antenna pointing screen and found out I was getting great Terrestrial singal but NO Satellite signal. When I got to work I checked the location of the antenna and it was fine.

Tonight after work I went to my truck turned on the radio and I got a message saying "Antenna Not Detected" on my screen.

I went to the menu and to the Antenna aiming menu and had zero on the Sat and Zero on the Ter. I started driving and the Ter Signal came back but the satellite signal was zero. Audio came back on, until I lost the Ter signal then the "Antenna Not Detected" message came back on.

I called Sirius since I got the unit directly from them, they told me to call Dish Network. I called Dish Network and they told me to call Sirius.

I called Sirius back again and talked to a tech, again the tech told me to call Dish, I told him I was NOT calling Dish, I did not get my receiver from Dish, I got it from Sirius. He put me on hold. I was on hold for about 10 minutes and then someone else came on.

I had to go through the complete story again and was told that unfortunetly they could not help me, I would need to return my unit to the dealer where I got my unit. Again I stated I got the unit directly from Sirius, and the rep told me that Sirius does not sell radios! I again explained I got it from Sirius Direct! He put me on hold for a few minutes and appologized for my problem and told me that I did get my radio from a Sirus promotion but unfortunately they could not help me because they had no set policy on what to do when a unit furnished by Sirius goes bad. He said that once a policy is set they would give me a call. With that he thanked me for calling Sirius and HUNG UP ON ME!

WTF? I paid for a year of service and they wont help me?

Sirius wants me to sell their sh*t and they won't even help me out when I got my equipment direct from them?

Is there ANYONE who can help?

I should note that I have installed plenty of XM Radios (or Brand X Radios as Joe Clayton calls them) and also have XM in the same truck. I have gone through the entire length of wire looking for a crack or crimp in the wire and everything looks good.

I went for another ride tonight and the error message was on the screen until I went to the same place where Terrestrial signals were available, and then again my radio worked fine! After I was out of the Terrestrial area the signal again was gone.

Sirius has left a sour taste in my mouth.

PLEASE IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN HELP?

Because this is from the Dish Network Team Summit.

Sirius says its a Dish Network problem, Dish says its a Sirius problem.

My advice for now is if you are looking for a Sirius radio to wait. I have a real sour taste in my mouth at the moment from Sirius.

I wonder if it's the radio... Does everything that dish slaps their logo on have a bug :D

hall said:
Why is this in the Dish Network forum ??
Because Scott (the guy that runs this place - remember :)) got his radio at the DISH Team Summit - it probably even says DISH on it.

Aned, because Scott can post anything anywhere anytime he wants - if for no other reason than we want him to keep on truckin' ;)

SimpleSimon said:
Because Scott (the guy that runs this place - remember :)) got his radio at the DISH Team Summit - it probably even says DISH on it.

Aned, because Scott can post anything anywhere anytime he wants - if for no other reason than we want him to keep on truckin' ;)
I saw the pictures--it does say DISH. Besides, there's no Sirius forum here! (No pun intended...)

The minute a tech hangs up on me would be the minute my subscription would be cancelled...I wouldnt care how good the service itself was!

Well some good news to report.

After posting my message I have been contacted by John from Sirius who is sending me a new antenna tommorow.

While my problem may be corrected, I hope that this message pushes some buttons at Sirius to make sure this NEVER happens to any other customer again.

I do hope Sirius offers me some kind of follow up to let me know what changes they have made (if any) so that this does not happen again. If I know that I helped to make someone else Sirius experiance a better one that I will feel much better.

Alot of my criticizms are made to help companies improve, when a company improves they not only help themselves, they help their customers. To me the customer should always come first.

I thank John from Sirius for his help.

DWS44 said:
The minute a tech hangs up on me would be the minute my subscription would be cancelled...I wouldnt care how good the service itself was!
He did thank me for calling Sirius before hanging up though, so I got to give him that. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
...a message came on (like Aquiring signal) and it stayed there.
Hmmm, sounds like maybe the 6000 is the SR200's father...

Seriously, though, it seems likely the satellite antenna/LNA is bad since you're able to get a terrestrial transmission. Infant mortality, maybe?

Scott Greczkowski said:
After posting my message I have been contacted by John from Sirius who is sending me a new antenna tommorow.
Boy, that's what I get for watching TV while reading the Forums. By the time I finally hit "send", the problem's solved.

Oh, and "Siriusly", maybe you got a dog.... star.

Good For You

Scott Greczkowski said:
Well some good news to report.

While my problem may be corrected, I hope that this message pushes some buttons at Sirius to make sure this NEVER happens to any other customer again.

I do hope Sirius offers me some kind of follow up to let me know what changes they have made (if any) so that this does not happen again. If I know that I helped to make someone else Sirius experiance a better one that I will feel much better.

Alot of my criticizms are made to help companies improve, when a company improves they not only help themselves, they help their customers. To me the customer should always come first.

I thank John from Sirius for his help.

Scott,

I feel confident that you will recieve the service you deserve. During Christmas I gave a couple dozen Kenwood H2A's away as customer gifts. I had one that had a bad antenna connection on the tuner. A Sirius rep gave me a replacement the next day. I have dealt with Sirius CC numerous times and had one experience that did not make me happy. That specific problem was solved later the same day by another Sirius CSR.

I have dealt with John before and he is a man of his word. Like I said on Backstage, you can have mine if necessary or you can have a contest for it on your forum.

I was going to say hold down the power button for 5 seconds, if that didn't work unplug the unit for 5 minutes. :D

Glad to hear they got back in touch with you and are correcting the problem.

mwgiii said:
I was going to say hold down the power button for 5 seconds, if that didn't work unplug the unit for 5 minutes. :D

Glad to hear they got back in touch with you and are correcting the problem.
I was going to try removing and reinserting the smart card, as I am use to doing that with products that have Dish Network written on them.

Also the radio is (according to the manual) a Dish Network brand Sirius Radio.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Sirius says its a Dish Network problem, Dish says its a Sirius problem.

And people say they want a third party to make dish network receivers.

This is exactly what would happen, they'd blame each other for problems.

(Sorry about off topic post, but it makes my point)

If this is what to expect when Dish carries Sirius.. I'll go get it at the local sound shop and eliminate the incompetence.

I have on good authority that Pamela Andersen will be visiting you shortly to make a formal apology on behaf of Sirius. She's waiting until your wife's not home.

My only disappointment about what the DishNetwork has on Serius is that it appears to be a cut down version of the real thing. I hope your DishNetwork/Serius radio get's all the channels for the monthly fee. Frankly, I don't understand why you(anyone)are dealing with Dish anyway. If the service is extra and not included withy Dish subscription on that radio then what's the point. Admit I don't know all the details, just that I get far less Serius channels on my Dish receivers than what Serius advertises.

Scott- Don't know about how your receiver is installed, but with a mobile sat antenna, the pickup must be on a groundplane. Sitting it on the dash is usually not good enough. Mounting it outside on the metal roof will greatly improve the satellite reception of those satellite radio antennas. Been there done that with GPS antennas.

Scott-

n0qcu said:
And people say they want a third party to make dish network receivers.

This is exactly what would happen, they'd blame each other for problems.

(Sorry about off topic post, but it makes my point)

D* seems to be doing it ok and on a much larger scale than Sirius. So I really don't the point there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts