I'm NOW happy with Sirius (Updated)

Don Landis said:
Scott- Don't know about how your receiver is installed, but with a mobile sat antenna, the pickup must be on a groundplane. Sitting it on the dash is usually not good enough. Mounting it outside on the metal roof will greatly improve the satellite reception of those satellite radio antennas. Been there done that with GPS antennas.
The antenna is installed on top of my roof, its about a foot away from my XM Antenna. John from Sirius is shipping me a new antenna and hopefully it will be here today. The wierd thing is it works when I am in an area with a ground repeater.

And yes I moved the antenna all over the place to try getting a signal, I even drove out into the middle of a field with no trees around and could still not get a signal, it looks like the Satellite part of the antenna is gone, while the terrestrial receiver part of the antenna is workinig.

While John from Sirius has been great, I still have not got my promised phone call from Sirius about this issue, and that don't sit good with me.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The antenna is installed on top of my roof, its about a foot away from my XM Antenna. John from Sirius is shipping me a new antenna and hopefully it will be here today. The wierd thing is it works when I am in an area with a ground repeater.

The ground repeaters use OFDM and are totally separate from the PSK satellite channel. So, a bad antenna is a reasonable guess because the OFDM can be received very easily as compared to the PSK. Or, the PSK part of the radio is dead. The radio uses a diversity receiver/combiner and can function on only the OFDM signal, where present. [I worked as a consultant on the Sirius system design].

Good luck.

Keith.

Scott,

What does the "car kit" mount look like on this model. Is it double sided tape/velcro; screw in; or suction cups (like the JVC P'nP). How did you mount the "car kit" in your vehicle? A photo of the radio and it's car kit would be nice if you have the time.

I will take a picture of it, it is hooked to my windshield via a suction cup.

I like this mount MUCH better then the mount on my XM SkyFi unit.

I am happy to report that Sirius has taken care of the problem (which turned out to be a bad antenna)

My thanks to John at Sirius for his help and going above and beyond to get me working and happy again.

I am also happy to report that DishStore.NET will soon be offering Sirius Units. :)

While I'm certainly happy that they took care of you, I sure hope that they fix the "its not OUR problem, you need to call SIRIUS" or "its not OUR problem, you need to call DISH" run around.

Hmmm, buzzsaw in the car........

tempting.....

Normally a customer would call the place where they purchased the radio for support. I got my radio directly from Sirius at the show. The Radio is branded as a Dish Network brand receiver (even though it is really a BRIX Streamer) so this is why there was this problem.

The good news is that this problem would only happen to the 1,000 people who got radios at the show and out of those 1,000 I was the only one to have a hardware problem (bad antenna). Customers should NOT have to call Sirius about radio problems so this problem is a very isolated one.

However if you are one of those 1,000 folks who got your radio at Team Summit and are having equipment issues please CONTACT ME and I will put you in contact with John at Sirius who will be happy to take care of your problem (and will avoid you all the BS). :D

As I said I am now ENJOYING Sirius. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Normally a customer would call the place where they purchased the radio for support. I got my radio directly from Sirius at the show. The Radio is branded as a Dish Network brand receiver (even though it is really a BRIX Streamer) so this is why there was this problem.

Good point. I had forgotten about that being the reason for the run around.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I will take a picture of it, it is hooked to my windshield via a suction cup.

I like this mount MUCH better then the mount on my XM SkyFi unit.
Scott, I know you're a busy person and all, but any chance that we can see pix of your Sirius install? How noticable is the external antenna? Thanks!

Let's not judge Sirius so quickly over not getting the logistics of taking care of the 1000 receivers given away during the Team Summit. These came out before the full roll-out to the general public so I'm sure they're not "ready" yet. It was a simple problem to fix, so it was just a matter of Sirius and Dish getting the proper channels set up to take care of problems for the new Dish-Sirius customers. But one good thing that came out of this was that other people having problems after Scott will hopefully be taken care of in a better way. I'd be frustrated in a paid unit myself though I can't blame either Sirius and/or Dish since these receivers aren't prime time yet. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am happy to report that Sirius has taken care of the problem (which turned out to be a bad antenna)

My thanks to John at Sirius for his help and going above and beyond to get me working and happy again.

I am also happy to report that DishStore.NET will soon be offering Sirius Units. :)
can you use an "xm" antenna for sirius? (with a splitter if such a thing exsists?)

Actually the question is more complicated than XM vs Sirius antennas as there is one than more than one antenna design used on Sirius receivers. Some receivers require a separated sat/terrestrial signal, while others have them combined into one cable.

Scott Greczkowski said:

The good news is that this problem would only happen to the 1,000 people who got radios at the show and out of those 1,000 I was the only one to have a hardware problem (bad antenna). Customers should NOT have to call Sirius about radio problems so this problem is a very isolated one.

However if you are one of those 1,000 folks who got your radio at Team Summit and are having equipment issues please CONTACT ME and I will put you in contact with John at Sirius who will be happy to take care of your problem (and will avoid you all the BS). :D

As I said I am now ENJOYING Sirius. :)

SCOTT my antenna also has went bad can you email or PM the contact information for John. Did you have to send in the old one? I was thinking i might be able to fix it but hated to do anything without asking first.

Thanks
Bruno

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts