I'm Pissed!

JimBanville

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
Or maybe I'm just stupid! My wife called to set up the 4 room (free equipment) system for Dish Network. I ASSUMED it would be 4 separate receivers. The installer called today and said it was a 2 receiver/dual tuner system. So instead of using the current RG6 quad-shield cable built into my walls, he'd have to add an additional cable going to each bax, plus he'd have to run a cable from each of the boxes to the 'slave' TV's. I WANT 4 SEPARATE receivers! Is that dumb? I called Dish and they said the only single-tuner "free" plan they had was for 3 rooms and I'd have to buy the 4th box, plus I'd have to sign up for a year contract. I told her to just cancel the set-up. I went searching where I must have gotten the idea that I'd get 4 receivers, but I can't find it. Does anyone know of a plan where you get 4 standard single tuner boxes for free/no annual commitment?

thanks
Jim

The DHA promotion allows "Up to four total receivers if all are single tuner receivers."

So if you don't have a problem with $15 per month in additional receiver fees you can get 4 seperate boxes.

I wouldn't set anyone up this way who wasn't willing to sign a minimum 12-month agreement for at least AT60 and I wouldn't refer you to any other independent specialty retailer either.

But you should be able to get it direct from DISH Network if you call (800)333-DISH.

The DHA promotion does allow up to 4 single tuner receivers, but you'd probably be hard pressed to find someone who gives away 4 single tuner receivers without a commitment.

Can someone PLEASE show me exactly where the DHA plan allows up to 4 'free' receivers. I don't mind signing a 1 year contract. We were planning on the Top160 package. The rep. I spoke with said the highest number of boxes I could get 'free' were 3. I would have to buy the fourth. My wife said that when she called to cancel the install tonight, she said we were not getting it because we wanted 4 single tuner receiver's, and that rep. only mentioned the 2 dual-tuner receiver package. I will get the VMC Satellite deal if you guys think they are reputable and there are no other 'surprises' :). Why do they have a better deal than Dish themselves?

Oh yeah. Another reason I was pissed earlier was that I was concerned that since they had already set up my account and charged the $50 install fee, I didn't want to be considered a 'past' customer, thus not allowing me another 'new customer' deal. The rep. didn't seem to know what my 'status' will be now :(

Okay... after nearly an hour on the phone, I got what I wanted: 4 standard receivers. My bill will be $49.99 (no discount for not having local channels) + $4.99 (x 3) for the 3 additional receivers. The rep. on the phone was talking sort of double-speak. He said it wasn't possible to do the 4 receiver deal, but yet he said they could do it through "a different dept.". He kept having to go back to some other reps to get the thing set up. At first, I actually had to direct him to his own DHA terms & conditions to show him that the 4 receiver deal was possible! These folks need to get their act together. The best part is that I am under no obligation. If I decide I don't like the equiment/programming, I cancel any time. The 'confirmation rep' I spoke to last said I would be getting the 301 receiver's. In my earlier conversation with the intaller, he said I should get the 311 receiver. Is there a difference?

thanks
Jim

Hopefully this shows you how screwed up DISH is. This is one of the reasons I switched to Directv. Not only are their reps friendly, they don't try to rip people off like DISH. Also, you could have gotten a 4 room deal with Direct with no problem. DISH needs to pull their head from their ***.

(1) What type of 'interface' do the dual-tuner receivers use with the dish and additional receivers? Some sort of multiswitch?
(2)Does this interface have a UHF/VHF antenna input?
(3)As I understand it, the dish has 2 outputs and each dual-tuner receivers has 2 dish inputs. How do the 2 outputs on the dish become 4 for 2 receivers?
(3)Do the dual-tuner receivers come with 2 RF remotes?
(4)How far does the RF signal reach?
(5)Is there any 'lag' in response time with RF remote control vs. IR remote control?

thanks!
Jim

JimBanville said:
Okay... after nearly an hour on the phone, I got what I wanted: 4 standard receivers. My bill will be $49.99 (no discount for not having local channels) + $4.99 (x 3) for the 3 additional receivers. The rep. on the phone was talking sort of double-speak. He said it wasn't possible to do the 4 receiver deal, but yet he said they could do it through "a different dept.". He kept having to go back to some other reps to get the thing set up. At first, I actually had to direct him to his own DHA terms & conditions to show him that the 4 receiver deal was possible!
thanks
Jim

I think there was some confusion here... the DHA plan allows for having up to 4 receivers on the plan. The DHA plan, in and of itself, make no mention about the initial cost of receivers.

The plan does not say "You get 4 free Single Tuner Receivers". The plan says you can rent up to 4 tuners under the plan agreement.

If you got them to give you 4 single tuner with no upfront cost, you should consider yourself lucky, and grateful that a REP bent over backwards to help you out, instead of accusing the rep of "Double-speak".

Neutron said:
Hopefully this shows you how screwed up DISH is. This is one of the reasons I switched to Directv. Not only are their reps friendly, they don't try to rip people off like DISH. Also, you could have gotten a 4 room deal with Direct with no problem. DISH needs to pull their head from their ***.

You switched... why don't you move on? :no

snathanb said:
You switched... why don't you move on? :no

I second that. :smug

I have had positive experience with Dish. They did not screw me or rip me off. Hell, they gave me more than thay should have. I could not be happier.

I called Directv last time, before my upgrade. Right off the bat, Directv couldn't even offer me the local channels that Dish offers me.

Bottom line, both Dish and Directv offer different needs for different people.

You switched... why don't you move on?

Claude brought up a good point that I didn't think was pocssible and that I want to explore. I was thinking that the dual-tuner receivers have 1 IR remote and 1 RF remote. The WHOLE reason I didn't want the 2 dual-tuner receivers is that I didn't want to have to run a bunch of extra wires throughout the house, since I thought the receivers would have to be in the IR remotes 'view' in at least 2 of the rooms. IF the dual-tuner receiver has TWO RF remotes and can be completely hidden away, then that would allow me to put the two dual-tuner receivers in a closet near the outside wall where the dish would be located, which is also where the 'tap' (cable junction box?) is to connect to all 4 rooms in my house that have TV's in them. Therefore, I would not have to have a bunch of new cables run throughout my house. I would only need the 2 cables from the dish going into the atttic and into the closet, where the 4 wires coming from the 2 receivers could go right back out to the 'tap' where they would connect to the 4 TV's in my house. This would seem like a very clean install. I basically don't want a bunch of new holes in my walls and I also hate to see runs of coax running around the exterior of my house. If the scenario I just drew up would work, then I would prefer it over the 4 single-receiver setup not only because it would be 'cleaner', but it would save me a few bucks (I wasn't happy to hear that I have to pay for local channels under the DHA plan, even though we don't have local channels via Dish!). Therefore, I not only wind up paying an extra $5 that I didn't plan on from the start, but I'm paying $15 to rent the 3 additional boxes.

Look fellas, although I had DirecTV a few years ago, I haven't kept up with the technology, nor have I deeply studied Dish's plan "setups", but apparently neither has some of their own reps :). Can one of you Dish 'veterans' answer the questions I posted in my previous thread?

I think there was some confusion here... the DHA plan allows for having up to 4 receivers on the plan. The DHA plan, in and of itself, make no mention about the initial cost of receivers.

The plan does not say "You get 4 free Single Tuner Receivers". The plan says you can rent up to 4 tuners under the plan agreement.

If you got them to give you 4 single tuner with no upfront cost, you should consider yourself lucky, and grateful that a REP bent over backwards to help you out, instead of accusing the rep of "Double-speak".

No. Dish's website has this to say about the DHA plan "Add up to 3 more receivers to your plan for an additional $5 per month, per receiver.". Therefore, based on my mediocre math skills and what several Dish reps told me, they only "really" offer 2 "plans" --> either the 2 dual-tuner receiver package or 3 single tuner receiver package. On top of THOSE tuners, you can ADD up to 3 more for $5 per month, BUT you would have to BUY those receivers.

And I most certainly don't think I made anyone bend over backwards to help me when I simply asked for the plan based on their own TERMS & CONDITIONS!!!

Tuner 1 of those 322 receivers have a IR remote, Tuner 2 have a RF remote, however if I am not mistaken you can upgrade the tuner1 remotes to RF for $49 each I believe is the price. You may want to consider the 522 for one of these receivers, it will cost you an extra $4.98/mo unless you get the AEP programing package but the DVR function is well worth it and their are many here who will vouch for how nice this feature is.

I don't see how you can say that when they gave you a deal that other's typically can't get... 4 free single-tuner receivers, without a contract.

But, hey what do I know, I'm just reading the DHA agreement that is in my hands. You are obviously the expert.

However, I am starting to believe the opening sentence of your first post in this thread.

snathanb, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? It seems like every post out of you is a bash on someone else.

snathanb said:
I don't see how you can say that when they gave you a deal that other's typically can't get... 4 free single-tuner receivers, without a contract.

But, hey what do I know, I'm just reading the DHA agreement that is in my hands. You are obviously the expert.

However, I am starting to believe the opening sentence of your first post in this thread.

I thought he said he paid $50 for the 4th.

Actually many people who are not in the DHA plan would love to get a hold of the 322 or 522. They save $5/month since they drive 2 TVs from one box. The UHF option should solve most problems since you can put in a central location... Then it is almost like "cable".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)