I'm returning to Dish, what would i expect for the switch back

Willh699

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2009
Campbell, TX
i was formerly with Dish from January 2007 to March 2016, when I left for DirecTV, but in recent times, the DirecTV bill has been getting too expensive to keep staying and my household is now in a situation where we are dealing with a slight loss of money so we decided to return to Dish for the slightly cheaper bill, what should me and my household expect when it comes to returning to Dish, as in will we be getting the latest Hopper DVR and the latest Joeys, i know we won't be able to get Bally Sports Southwest and AT&T Sportsnet Southwest and a few other DirecTV exclusives, but i know it might be for the best for the time being.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlesrshell
Make sure they give you a hopper3. Specifically tell them hopper3 or no deal. If you do a lot of streaming you could also ask for our hopper plus. But the plus does still have a few minor bugs that most people are okay with. If you don't stream much or want bug free then don't get the plus.
If you had a hopper before then it will overall be about the same, with some improvements.

First, congratulations!, you made a wise decision to come back. The Hopper 3 is the best there is. I, personally, have no experience with the Plus but the Joeys are very good. You left DTV but it might come back to you!

As for Bally, they're done. It's funny to remember how many people predicted the end of Dish Network for not succumbing to their outrageously over the top demands. Maybe Charlie could see further into the future than he was given credit. MLB has already taken over the Padres and there's 13, I think, other teams that will follow suit because Bally can't fulfill their financial obligations. I am sure that an MLB subscription will be available through the Hopper Plus. I have never tried to just use the MLB station, channel 152, as subscription. Thanks to Bally, we no longer have access to the Reds in Lexington. Because of blackout rules I don't remember much about AT&T Sportsnet.

Enjoy!!

Welcome Back!! Ya regional sports is a mess. Thankfully you can snag Bally via there app and stream it. A lot of the service will feel the same, just a matter of getting used to the remote again!

Since you are used to paying high amounts for DIRECTV then DISH will look really cheaper in comparison. But the Addtional receiver and DVR FEES are what will get you. Look to pay $15.00 for dvr and $7.00 per additional receiver. I used to pay $29.00 a month just to have a hopper 3 and two joeys. They did finally decide if you owned your receivers which I did the additional receiver fees would go to $5.00 each. But you can't escape the $15.00 DVR fee unless you go with the Wally receiver and pay the $40.00 to turn it into a dvr with external hard drive. But last I read they now charge an additional receiver fee even if you only have one receiver on the Wally. :smug

I started with Dish, all the way back to 2001. I left Dish for about a year or so, and went with Directv in 04. Came back to Dish after commitment with Direct was over, because Dish finally had gotten my locals. I like Dish, and the Hopper 3, but I need to call Loyalty to see if they can get my bill any lower, without sacrificing losing to many channels. I know, that the Hopper Plus can go to streaming without switching inputs, but now, I have a new Samsung AU8000, that seems like this can happen also. But, if you would come back to Dish, I am thinking that you can get the Hopper Plus, along with the Hopper 3 with a Free Installation, and a Price Lock. Too me, that is a great deal, which if I was new customer, I would do it. I am thinking you would also be getting Joey 4s with how many TVs that you have in your home. I am also thinking that the streamed content is also in 4K. More reasons to do the Hopper 3, along with the Hopper Plus. I am still hesitant on getting the Hopper Plus, because of the Samsung TV, but if I didn't have this TV, then I would definitely get the Hopper Plus.

I see the Hopper Plus being mentioned a few times in this thread. Just make sure you're aware of the limitations of the Hopper Plus. I know the bugs have been getting better but I suspect the limitations still exist - for me, not having MultiView is a deal breaker because I like to use it to watch multiple sports events at the same time. So, I've stayed with just having a Hopper3 without the Plus until there is feature parity between the two.

ok, they hooked it all up and it's one Hopper with Sling DVR, 2 joeys and a Supet Joey.

I'm on the America's top 120 package but a few channels that were listed were missing from my setup like NFL Network, Longhorn Network, FS2 and a couple of others, but i think it might be cause I'm may actually be on the America's 120 package that isn't with the “plus“ option.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

and all a sudden, I'm experiencing a outage on my Satellite on Dish as channels on the western arc aren't working on 129, 119 and 110, i can't tell if this is a lingering effect of non severe storms hitting the area, a uplink center issue or just a misaligned dish that somehow got more misaligned after the storm.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

and all a sudden, I'm experiencing a outage on my Satellite on Dish as channels on the western arc aren't working on 129, 119 and 110, i can't tell if this is a lingering effect of non severe storms hitting the area, a uplink center issue or just a misaligned dish that somehow got more misaligned after the storm.

Did you have a power outage? Sometimes after power outage it can cause a surge and damage dish equipment. Usually will fry the lnb outside and sometimes the hub and receiver as well. Or if the installer didn't quite get things tightened all the way it could of moved from wind.

Did you have a power outage? Sometimes after power outage it can cause a surge and damage dish equipment. Usually will fry the lnb outside and sometimes the hub and receiver as well. Or if the installer didn't quite get things tightened all the way it could of moved from wind.
nope, power never went out during this storm yesterday afternoon and last night.

That’s why I insisted on a two dish set up.