I'm still on legacy equipment. need some info.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Logic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Norwalk, CA
What do I need to know about what's going to happen with my sub? I've had all my original equipment since 2000 (RCA STB's & Sat 101) and i wanted to know how long I could go before being forced to upgrade.:confused: Granted I know HD is good but having to upgrade 4 STB's and the dish is kinda pricey for me. are there any FAQ's on this?

Eventually all channels will be moved to MPEG-4, but I'm not sure there's a clear timetable. I would think that when the time comes for that you have to upgrade you would get everything for free assuming you replace with like equipment (e.g. standard receiver for standard receiver, SD-DVR for SD-DVR, etc). The only reason I would think you'd be charged would be if you upgrade equipment - an SD-DVR to and HD-DVR for example. I've gotten an HD-Tivo and 3 D* HD-DVRs over the last 2 years or so, and have only paid for one of them. So deals do exist (and I've never called in and threatened to cancel or even mentioned a competitor).

WELCOME to the site. I would predict you will be ok until 2010 or beyond.

There is A TON of equipment they would have to replace before they start turning off basic mpeg2 sd. Just this past year they developed new products for basic sd on the 101 sat - the Sat-go for example.

well thats good to hear. whats a good way to look into deals? obviously the less spent the better. i've never been late on a bill nor changed my basic plan, just bought ppv here and there and added premiums over time. i hear their CS is good.

You could probably call in and start upgrading some of the equipment now for free if you wanted. If you've been a subscriber for that long and you're not under any contract, as long as you've paid your bills on time I am willing to bet they will cut you some good deals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)