Image pixelation problem on some HD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

itzelm

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2006
ok guys, i have this problem with some of my HD channels:

--in some channels, the image does not look smooth. it looks like little squares, the audio drops too. it looks as if the image is not being delivered to the receiver the correct way so you can see the image in many,many little squares.

so what's the deal? we called direct tv and of course, they could not figure the problem out. then suggested that we could have the technician come out but we have to pay for the service? WTF? why should i pay for that if they should guarantee the image.

do you guys have any ideas of what the problem could be?

i have the direct tv plus hd dvr

Unfortunately, the problems you are describing could be various in nature. It could be that you dish needs realignment, it could be temporary due to weather, it could be LOS issues, it could be cabling, it could the multiswitch, it could be the box. So with all those things in play, having a technician come out is probably best...especially if the problem couldn't be fixed with a phone call/troubleshooting.

However, that being said, I was under the impression that if you paid for the Protection Program, that it extended beyond the IRD and actually covered all service related tech visits. I guess I was wrong or I misunderstood your post. Are you on the Protection Plan?

no. we are not on the protection plan.

we have a new box and we are trying that option first.

we are having the problems with only 2 of the hd channels. the OTA channels we get with the antenna have no problems at all.

Yep. we are having problems with channel 73 (ESPN). for months we were having problems with 509 (hbo) but took the service off. we also have problems and now we also have problems with the discovery HD channel 76.

ok guys, i have this problem with some of my HD channels:

--in some channels, the image does not look smooth. it looks like little squares, the audio drops too. it looks as if the image is not being delivered to the receiver the correct way so you can see the image in many,many little squares.

so what's the deal? we called direct tv and of course, they could not figure the problem out. then suggested that we could have the technician come out but we have to pay for the service? WTF? why should i pay for that if they should guarantee the image.

do you guys have any ideas of what the problem could be?

i have the direct tv plus hd dvr
Have you heard of the term HDlite? I have seen all that you describe on D* for the last 3 years.

HD-lite: HD-Lite refers to a practice started by some cable companies and DirecTV and adopted by Dish Network (on VOOM HD channels, CBS HD East as well as MPEG4 HD Locals and most MPEG4 additions) of reducing the HD picture resolution from the standard 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i, esentially losing 1/3 of the pixels. The term also applies when bitrates are lowered to the point of degrading the HDTV signal. It is also used in OTA to signify that a provider like CBS is multicasting or stealing bandwith from the HD channel to service other digital channels.

Last edited:
Have you heard of the term HDlite? I have seen all that you describe on D* for the last 3 years.

HD-lite: HD-Lite refers to a practice started by some cable companies and DirecTV and adopted by Dish Network (on VOOM HD channels, CBS HD East as well as MPEG4 HD Locals and most MPEG4 additions) of reducing the HD picture resolution from the standard 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i, esentially losing 1/3 of the pixels. The term also applies when bitrates are lowered to the point of degrading the HDTV signal. It is also used in OTA to signify that a provider like CBS is multicasting or stealing bandwith from the HD channel to service other digital channels.

Ummm, doubt it. Suppose thats his audio problem as well. Vurb, are you not tired of listening to yourself? There could easily be other problems. I rarely get blocking on 73.

Ummm, doubt it. Suppose thats his audio problem as well. Vurb, are you not tired of listening to yourself? There could easily be other problems. I rarely get blocking on 73.
No I dont. Bandwidth would really have to be choked to create blocking on a 720p channel. From what I have seen ESPNHD has looked much better than last years preseason so far. But last year at this time it was a mess. I suppose it depends on when you watch. I have always had audio problems during 73 studio shows like sportscenter before getting the HR20. I havent stopped to notice any lately though and I think its an ESPNHD problem and not D*. This could explain his audio problems and his picture problems.

No I dont. Bandwidth would really have to be choked to create blocking on a 720p channel. From what I have seen ESPNHD has looked much better than last years preseason so far. But last year at this time it was a mess. I suppose it depends on when you watch. I have always had audio problems during 73 studio shows like sportscenter before getting the HR20. I havent stopped to notice any lately though and I think its an ESPNHD problem and not D*. This could explain his audio problems and his picture problems.

And I think this post right here is one key reason NOT to use the ignore feature. :p V has a good point :eek: ...ESPN is all over the place at times and with no apparent reason why. It could be some D* issues, but a lot of the issue I see on ESPN can probably be traced back to the signal that ESPN is pumping to D*. I don't think D* plays around with providers' signals from day to day (at least I hope not). I think once they are locked in with a provider, the fluctuations in quality and service and volume can be attributed to the original content provider (in this case ESPN), not the carriage provider (D*).

Now if the signal is all dorked up on one box and not another, then maybe we need to look at the box being a problem. Or maybe the cabling.

itzelm - Do you have more than one HR20? Can you check the connection compared to another box/outlet? Or is the problem with ESPN on all boxes and all outlets?

Considering there is no audio dropouts on E*, I'd say it's a D* problem.

Here is the followup to my issue.

We installed a 2nd hr 20 machine. we had the same problems with pixelation and audio dropouts.

on sunday however, we tried channel 72 and instead of pixelation we got "searching for signal" message. and 73, which is usually ok, had pixelation and audio dropout problems.

so, don't know what the problem is. i read on the internet that condensation can cause problems in one of the satellite lnb's.

anyway, we are having the technician come out on sept. 14 (could not get him to get out earlier). they will check on the problem and install a 5 lnb satellite dish. supposedly, we were supposed to get one initially when we had the satellite installed (about 9 months ago) but for some reason, we did not. their records indicate we have it but we don't. we have the 3 lnb satellite.

Let us know what happens itzelm...and umm Coach Gibbs, that was really a well thought out answer, not! Really, how are we suppose to take you seriously when you put so much thought into your narrowminded answer.

Here is the followup to my issue.

We installed a 2nd hr 20 machine. we had the same problems with pixelation and audio dropouts.

on sunday however, we tried channel 72 and instead of pixelation we got "searching for signal" message. and 73, which is usually ok, had pixelation and audio dropout problems.

so, don't know what the problem is. i read on the internet that condensation can cause problems in one of the satellite lnb's.

anyway, we are having the technician come out on sept. 14 (could not get him to get out earlier). they will check on the problem and install a 5 lnb satellite dish. supposedly, we were supposed to get one initially when we had the satellite installed (about 9 months ago) but for some reason, we did not. their records indicate we have it but we don't. we have the 3 lnb satellite.

I've got a question...are you getting your locals in HD right now?

Somewhere in this forum I posted a similar thread. After much badgering of the "tech" that came out to my house he replaced the multiswitch. That seemed to get me back to just the "normal-bad directtv picture" that I've come to love & expect.

Let us know what happens itzelm...and umm Coach Gibbs, that was really a well thought out answer, not! Really, how are we suppose to take you seriously when you put so much thought into your narrowminded answer.

Huh? Maybe I missed something but I've seen people complaining about audio dropouts on ESPNHD via D* and I stated that since the problem doesn't exist on E* nor Comcast, it's likely a D* problem.

Huh? Maybe I missed something but I've seen people complaining about audio dropouts on ESPNHD via D* and I stated that since the problem doesn't exist on E* nor Comcast, it's likely a D* problem.

Sorry, maybe i jumped on that one. I have seen the threads too, a couple, my point was that in those threads there were many that stated that they don't have the problem, like me, so I assume that it's not a D* problem, but an equipment problem, sorry!

Image pixellation problem on some HD channels

Sorry, maybe i jumped on that one. I have seen the threads too, a couple, my point was that in those threads there were many that stated that they don't have the problem, like me, so I assume that it's not a D* problem, but an equipment problem, sorry!

I have not had any audio problems on ESPNHD on my HR20 or H20.

Their super technicolor (hot pink and red) news sets are distracting!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts