Importing Video from MiniDV to Computer

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
I am importing video from my MiniDV camcorder, via Firewire iLink DV cable. Using Windows video import, I am allowed to import the video as a AVI (13 GB per hour approx.) or Windows Media (2 GB per hour approx.) file. I just imported 45 minutes of video as AVI, and it still doesn't look great. I will be putting these videos on DVD at the highest quality possible. My Question is, is there a better format to import these videos with? I really can't afford to go out and buy a 200 program that allows for real fancy editing. I am just going for a simple transfer and want to do it on the comptuer just to cut out some parts that dont' need to be on tape (my wife tends to put the camera in her purse without stopping the recording.)

Any ideas!?

I have also used both the Ulead & Nero products with my digital 8mm and IEEE 1394 to do what you want; archive home movies to DVD - stellar results.

Stop wasting your time with a pc. Buy a cheap dvd recorder plug in your video camera and bam video burned to dvd. Easiest way.

I just imported 45 minutes of video as AVI, and it still doesn't look great.
Unless you use software that does multiple recodings between formats, uncompressed AVI is as close to the original you'll get (13 GB/h vs. ~10 GB/h of miniDV compression).
It could be the chroma subsampling that leaves something to be desired...
DV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And don't listen to people that claim "consumer" devices can come close to what a computer can do. If you care about the result quality, that is...

Diogen.

I don't believe I was using uncompressed AVI. I don't know what I was using before but I am now using uncompressed AVI and the video looks a lot better. I am feeding it into Windows Movie Maker to do some cut and paste work, adding titles, etc. And then putting it on DVD. Looks great. Thanks for the help everyone!

Also, I have a DVD recorder with a DV cable. Works great, but I wanted more than just a simple copy. I wanted to cut out parts and add titles. Need a computer to do that.

Stop wasting your time with a pc. Buy a cheap dvd recorder plug in your video camera and bam video burned to dvd. Easiest way.

How will you edit, add music, titles, etc. People need to get off the non-pc , go the easy way out routine. SORRY, but most of us prefer something pro-looking we are proud to show to our friends & family. Not just dump and burn crap. This is the sad mentality of today's USA, "Don't make me learn and just take to easy way out". ARGH!

How will you edit, add music, titles, etc. People need to get off the non-pc , go the easy way out routine. SORRY, but most of us prefer something pro-looking we are proud to show to our friends & family. Not just dump and burn crap. This is the sad mentality of today's USA, "Don't make me learn and just take to easy way out". ARGH!

Thanks for your expert advise!

Thanks for your expert advise!

WOW is not here, get your own server and hit each other until detrone the highest scorers.

on the other hand, our friend Xterra, went the easy way, because to be honest is like half day in a project; C'mon, to tell you the truth, importing to the computer, then looking for an motivitional aspect to show and then converting the format, takes like 3.5 to 6 hours for a mere 90 minutes aka 1:30 minutes footage. Well, if you have the time, do not rush others. However, I must admit, to also like impressive presentations. but not bash anyone, just make them read the small letters.:hungry:

Yeah, even with a fast processor, the rendering and importing does take a while, but if you want to make a good movie, its worth it! Like I said in in my OP, I am not looking for anything fancy, but I do like to do some editing that a simple transfer to a DVD player does not do. But I have got it figured out and looking great now. Thanks Everyone!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts