This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

In a shocking turn of events, AT&T lied

Not the same company at all
I'm saying that no comparison is necessary. The current AT&T has been around long enough that its record stands by itself. That you felt a need to insert the old AT&T into the discussion is unfortunate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I agree that it was uncalled for that comfortably numb globbed the old AT&T together with the new AT&T (seemingly believing that they were one and the same).

Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure the rest of the free world either knows the difference or only knows the new AT&T. Of course many old American telecom companies that are/were in a similar position have been acquired or died (look at GTE and Stromberg Carlson) but that shouldn't necessarily reflect on those who worked there or ran the show in bygone days.

The old att developed the transistor, launched the first satellite, was the original owner of the ABC tv network( divested)... current att is nowhere near the same company

Reactions: ncted
I think AT&T has been monitoring my Internet posts. I have no Internet connection at my house tonight with no estimate for when it will be back online. Either that or it was the wind storm that came through this morning.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I think AT&T has been monitoring my Internet posts. I have no Internet connection at my house tonight with no estimate for when it will be back online. Either that or it was the wind storm that came through this morning.

Dude, your social credit score just went WAY down!!

1 slight correction ...
The old was AT&T
The new is at&t

Reactions: Bobby
The old att developed the transistor, launched the first satellite, was the original owner of the ABC tv network( divested)... current att is nowhere near the same company

Juan I am with you on everything else in this thread but I don't think that AT&T ever owned ABC>

1 slight correction ...
The old was AT&T
The new is at&t
That's not what you're going to find in a TESS search of the USPTO database today. The lower case logo was abandoned around 2016 for just the globe.

Subsequently they've added back the AT&T

Last edited:
Kinda...the red and blue networks one became ABC the other NBC..att kept the the broadband ( before satellite) that connected tv and radio stations..it was never called ABC but became ABC
From wikipedia

AT&T, RCA, and their patent allies and partners finally settled their disputes in 1926 by compromise. AT&T decided to focus on the telephone business as a communications common carrier, and sold its broadcasting subsidiary Broadcasting Company of America to RCA. The assets included station WEAF, which for some time had broadcast from AT&T headquarters in New York City. In return, RCA signed a service agreement with AT&T, ensuring any radio network RCA started would have transmission connections provided by AT&T. Both companies agreed to cross-license patents, ending that aspect of the dispute. RCA, GE, and Westinghouse were now free to combine their assets to form the National Broadcasting Company, or NBC network.
Juan I am with you on everything else in this thread but I don't think that AT&T ever owned ABC>

Reactions: ncted
Kinda...the red and blue networks one became ABC the other NBC..att kept the the broadband ( before satellite) that connected tv and radio stations..it was never called ABC but became ABC
Here's another case of temporal context. The ABC of 1943 was a radio network which has since been consumed by other interests (Disney merged the ABC radio business to Citadel Communications for stock in 2007 and was eventually swallowed up by Cumulus Media). The ABC of today is an entirely different bird from the fallout of NBC Blue.

In the future there will surely be similar discussions of giants like Fox and Sony and it may be even harder to connect the dots.

Compared to her spawn, Verizon and SBC (now AT&T), Ma Bell was a saint. As they said back then, "You could hear a pin drop".

Reactions: Bobby
Compared to her spawn, Verizon and SBC (now AT&T), Ma Bell was a saint.
You can do that when you have an effective monopoly on the marketplace. The divestiture was designed to change that but the consequences may not have been all that well envisioned.

As the pressure of competition increases, so does the temptation to create very carefully worded statements that are likely to be misinterpreted in the larger context.

sorry but there is a direct connection between old radio networks and early tv networks..wcbs,wnbc and wabc all transitioned shows from radio to tv

sorry but there is a direct connection between old radio networks and early tv networks..wcbs,wnbc and wabc all transitioned shows from radio to tv
But again you've dragged us back a few dozen years in history (well before today's AT&T was established) and that's not particularly relevant to the topic of the thread. Asserting that a company that is taken over comes with the entirety of its outstanding attributes (or undesirable baggage) isn't sound reasoning.

For those who have lost sight of it, the topic of the thread is that AT&T either mislead regulators about what they were going to do with the content that they acquired as part of their Warner Media acquisition or casually making liars of themselves by doing what they assured that they were not going to do. ABC, Comcast, Disney or NBC have nothing to do with it outside of them being competitors in one form or another.