In Alaska W/2 dishes PVR 721, looking for 110 & 119

onerka

Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
I've had Dish network for over 10 years with just a 1 meter dish and dual LNB. I was informed that my old receiver was going to be phased out so I ordered a PVR 721. I have it hooked to the same old 1 meter dish aimed at 119 West with 83% on a clear day. I then found out I was missing several channels that are on the 110 satellite and was told by DISH that I needed another 1 meter dish with an old dual LNB and two SW21 switches. Well I got the dish, LNB, switches and mounted the new dish about 15 feet from the one that has 119. I've combined the 2 dishes through the 2 SW21's and the 2 leads from the SW21’s to my 721. I matched the new dish to the same Azimuth and elevation as the 119 and started shifting the dish to the East slightly with my trusty Accutrack tuner and found several strong signals near the 119 west. When I go to the POINT DISH signal on my 721 and punch in DISH 300 and satellite 110 it always says "wrong satellite" and shows the 119 signal strength in red. Each time I've found a new strong signal with my handheld Accutrack tuner outside I run "Check Switch" and it shows only 119. I got desperate and started looking all over the sky for hours and did find 148 west with a very strong signal but no new channels. What am I doing wrong why can't I find that damn 110? Is it to low on the horizon, I didn't think 2 degrees would make a big difference? I have a straight open shot with no trees. Help :mad::mad:

onerka said:
I matched the new dish to the same Azimuth and elevation as the 119

That is your problem there. The 119w and 110w don't share the same Elevation and or azimuth pal.

The Elevation difference in Alaska from 119w to 110w is approx 3.1. Which means that if you are let's say in Anchorage the elevation/azimuth would be as follows:

?119w
Elevation 16.1
Azimuth 145.7

?110w
Elevation 13.2
Azimuth 136.3

Hope that Helps. :hatsoff:

Yes I know their not the same, I just used 119 as a starting point it being Azimuth 135 and Elevation 23 and moving the dish 10 degrees East to 125 and an elevation of 21. There seems to be 3 signals right in that area but none show up on my PVR 721.....Thanks

onerka

dont use the switches right away

Hook the lines from the 119 dish to the 110 dish so you can aim it. Once its aimed, then hook up the SW21 switches and run check switch.

I have a feeling right now you didnt run a check switch so all its going to pick up is 119....remove switches when aiming (makes it MUCH easier) :)

If your looking at the 119 you should go to the left 2 - 4 degrea's and up about 4 degreas of elevation and should be able to hot the 110. This is what I do when I have to do a split dish installation like you have and it always works though the degrea's most likely will be less for your location.

Yes I think a 1 meters OK I live just north of Ketchikan. Does the 110 satellite generally have less of a signal then the 119 here in Alaska? Which Spot Beam on 110 is the best to use for tuning? Thanks for the speedy replies!!!! I'll try icebergs suggestion without the switches when the torrential downpour stops.

normally we say 11 or 12

8 has the Fiarbanks/ Juneau locals but you arent suppose to aim at a spoptbeam unless thats really all you need

I cant answer the strength question because I'm not in Alaska :)

Thanks ICEBERG

Thanks ICEBERG, your advice to do away with the switch helped me find 110 right away. I got a good signal from both sides of the Legacy DUAL LNB. The problem I have now is when I hook every thing back up through the SW21 switches just like the wiring diagram says: I do this with both SW21's: LNB from DISH 1 to port 1 on SW21 and LNB from DISH 2 to port 2 on SW21. I then run the one cable from each SW21 to SAT 1 & 2 on the PVR 721.
I then run check switch I get results that are all screwed up. Sometimes it says I have a 3 SAT setup and the ODD EVEN results are different for SAT input 1 and 2. I tried running Check switch with Dish 300 selected, Dish 500 and Dish Pro the results are different for all of them but the SAT input 1 & 2 are never identical. One will say it sees 110 and 119 and the other just sees 119 or various other combinations. I thought it might be on of the switches so I tried a SW42 and the same thing happens. I did run another check switch while I was typing this with DISH 300 selected and for the first time I did get identical results on both SAT input 1 and 2. Here are the results. Port 1, SAT:110, Trans: X , Device: N/A, Port 2, SAT: X, Trans: X, Device: N/A, Port 3, SAT:119, Trans: OK, Device: N/A Ports 4 & 5 are blank, Status: reception verified, Switch: SW21. I can see the extra channels I supposed to get now but when I try to tune in one it always says “Channel XXX lost lock. Any help would be appreciated…Thanks

Wow, sounds like a mess! first of all Dish 500 is the proper selection for 2 dual lnbs. At one point it looks like you had both receiver inputs plugged into 119 and all was well right? sat 119 odds and evens on both inputs? And you did the same with 110 when you where peaking it? If you ran a check switch both times and both ports read "110 odd, even" or "119 odd, even" that would eliminate possible bad lnbs or cable. I have seen miswired electrical outlets make receivers do funky things, like show 4 or 5 ports on dp34 switches, even though tv's, lights, etc all work fine in the same outlet. The answer to that problem was to try a different outlet, preferably using an extension cord to reach an outlet in another room on a different breaker (just to show a customer it's an existing electrical problem, not a dish problem.) I have also seen receivers repeatedly give messed up check switch results for seemingly no reason, but straighten up after being unplugged for 1-2 minutes. Usually when I am having a problem such as this I will plug my accutrac meter into the line at the receiver. from there it can check the signal coming through each sat port on the switch, but I've never tried that on legacy gear. btw, how popular is Dish in Alaska? Is there a DNSC or contracting company to do installs in anchorage or is everyone pretty much on their own?

I havent seen the screen for a 721 but since you are using 2 duals (and hopefully they are Legacy and not DishPro) it should check switch fine. I have a 301 and 2 dishes (no I'm not in Alaska but had line of sight issues) and a SW21 and it shows

port 1 1 2 2
110 110 119 119
odd even odd even

I wouldnt select DishPro because you're not using that

I would run a check switch with the cables unhooked from the receievr to clear everything then hook cables back up and redo.

I dont know if this makes a difference, but do you have the same satellite on the same switch port?
(ie--119 on 1 and 110 on 2)

Here is the owners manual...I looked and for 2 duals & sw21's it starts on page 25

It should work for ya...looks pretty simple to set up

Attachments

• 721_User_Guide_part3.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 206
That must suck having to use a 1m dish just to get a sat signal. I bet that CATV is still a strong monopoly in that area.

I think if I lived in Alaska I would get around a 8.5' cband dish and rig it up with two dbs lnbs for 119/110. You would have to rig up some kind of holder but I'm sure it could be done. I've got a 1.2 and 1.8m Channel Master Dish that would work great If i ever moved there, NOT!!!!!

BrettTRay said:
That must suck having to use a 1m dish just to get a sat signal. I bet that CATV is still a strong monopoly in that area.

a 1m ain't that bad :) (I have a few 30" dishes around)

most of the area there is wide open so they have room :)

I would re-aim your 1M at the 110 to see what kind of signal strenth you get on the 110 if you have a line of site, my guess is you'll be better off with a 1.2M down there for the 110.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts