in-car directv while you drive

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tingly

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
Don't wanna watch the road while you drive? Try this (heavily edited):

"DIRECTV and KVH announced an agreement that allows consumers to receive DIRECTV in passenger vehicles. DIRECTV authorized KVH to solicit subscriptions, received by KVH's TracVision A5 antenna. It is the only low profile, in-motion satellite TV system for autos available to US consumers."

$3,495 roof rack mount system
$3,595 roof mount system (flat to roof)

http://www.kvh.com/Press/pr.asp?id=434
http://www.kvh.com/Products/Product.asp?id=79

this is really old new! this has been out for at least a year now. I still haven't found anyone that has a system.

The news is the agreement. It's more for things like luxury, long-distance bus tours.

Band tour busses have had these tracking dishes for a while now. I know Willie Nelson has one on his and his Crew's busses. It looks like a dome on top of the vehicle. It has a gyro that keeps the dish aimed. Works pretty good. Just get a freeze frame when you go under a bridge. This is the first time I have heard of them putting them on cars, though.

I saw a show over the weekend about RV resorts for $250,000 motor coaches. One guy had one on his roof, hooked up to a couple of 42" plasmas.

These things have been around for several years. If you see a motorhome going down the road with what looks like a radar bubble on top, that's an in-motion satellite tracking mechanism. They cost about $2K. The one linked above is a newer, slimmed down model.

KVH has lowered the price of its A5 antenna to $2,000. Have you ever seen this product for sale anywhere (other than the Web)?

G4TechTV television show "The Screen Savers" had an episode within the past week about this. It is pretty interesting. Can you use your own receivers or do you have to use the special receiver that is provided?

Winegard also makes a few different models & I believe that you just have to add a additional receiver to your current plan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)