In case you missed it...breaking news from wall street journal

Yeah ...

A number of news outlets reporting it now ...

Well ... sign ... Guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

But again, outside of a merger with Dish Network which is a no-go with government regulators of course. Who would be willing to buy a money loser like DIRECTV has become at this point?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

They are all latching onto a bogus non-story.

There is very little chance of any serious talks going on.

Dish merely needs to wait. I suspect this quarter results are going to show significant adds to Dish from DTV, even if there’s a net decrease. So over another year or two under ATT, Dish may have as many net subs from them as they could have gotten by buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

I wish them luck. They've painted themselves into a corner and there's no easy way out, if at all. Going public? Would you buy stock in the Titanic if you saw it was already sinking? They've lost nearly a million subs and are likely to face a stock owner's class action lawsuit. This is top level mismanagement at it's worst.

Yeah ...

But again, outside of a merger with Dish Network which is a no-go with government regulators of course. Who would be willing to buy a money loser like DIRECTV has become at this point?

Someone that is willing to put money back into it, unlike ATT has ... they could potentially bring it back to what it once was ...

Dish merely needs to wait. I suspect this quarter results are going to show significant adds to Dish from DTV, even if there’s a net decrease. So over another year or two under ATT, Dish may have as many net subs from them as they could have gotten by buying them.

Why do you believe Dish is going to show gains off Directv's losses? People who are cutting the cord are doing so over price, and going to Dish is not a solution for cord cutters. The only reason they aren't leaving cable as quickly is because bundling means they save less by dropping TV (i.e. if internet costs $80 and TV costs $100 but you can bundle them for $130 then you only save $50 by dropping TV not $100)

Yeah ...

APPLe? They like to control thier whole product line. They could combine satellite tv, Apple Music, Apple Arcade and Apple+ as one big monthly subscription plan.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Because people who actually install Dish are reporting they are very busy. These customers aren’t materializing out of thin air.

Not everyone leaving DTV is cord cutting.

Reactions: Pere845
There really is not much to see here. First, of course, DirecTV is, and will remain, highly profitable.

DirecTV and DISH have totally different business models. DISH's is far more prone to "cord-cutting" as it sells on price alone. DirecTV remains luxury TV, a simple, easy to understand, linear system and remains the go to for rural customers, older people, and, most importantly, commercial accounts including sports bars. Not everybody want to save 40 cents by cord cutting and not everybody wants to save $40 by getting inferior channel lineups. Some people just want their TV to W O R K .

Would they hold onto DirectvNow IP rights, assuming they are severable? Otherwise, why bother with this whole maneuver of buying Directv?

Reactions: NashGuy
Would they hold onto DirectvNow IP rights, assuming they are severable? Otherwise, why bother with this whole maneuver of buying Directv?

Might explain why it is called AT&T Now.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Yespage and ncted

This is the $10,000 question and, I think, the real reason why AT&T would not want to sell off DirecTV yet. Because I would bet that the latest carriage contracts that AT&T has negotiated with the cable networks cover ALL their services: DirecTV, Uverse TV, plus their new streaming services which they see as their future, AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now (formerly DirecTV Now). AT&T is only able to get favorable carriage rates because they have so many total subscribers. When they announce figures as of the end of this quarter, the total number of "premium" TV subscribers, those on DTV, Uverse TV, or the new AT&T TV, will probably be about 20.5 million. But the vast majority of those -- nearly 17 million -- are on DirecTV.

And if they spun off or sold off 80% of their TV subscriber base by getting rid of DirecTV, I doubt that their latest carriage contracts with the cable networks would hold up for AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now. Surely the carriage prices that AT&T would have to pay the networks would shoot up, meaning that they'd have to also raise the prices on AT&T TV and AT&T TV Now or just eat the additional carriage costs.

Dish is not into sports like a directv sub would want...
Why do you believe Dish is going to show gains off Directv's losses? People who are cutting the cord are doing so over price, and going to Dish is not a solution for cord cutters. The only reason they aren't leaving cable as quickly is because bundling means they save less by dropping TV (i.e. if internet costs $80 and TV costs $100 but you can bundle them for $130 then you only save $50 by dropping TV not $100)

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Pere845
There really is not much to see here. First, of course, DirecTV is, and will remain, highly profitable.

DirecTV and DISH have totally different business models. DISH's is far more prone to "cord-cutting" as it sells on price alone. DirecTV remains luxury TV, a simple, easy to understand, linear system and remains the go to for rural customers, older people, and, most importantly, commercial accounts including sports bars. Not everybody want to save 40 cents by cord cutting and not everybody wants to save $40 by getting inferior channel lineups. Some people just want their TV to W O R K .

Other than the portion of your post pertaining to Commercial accounts, not much of it is accurate, nor does it reflect my real-world new customer installation trends. DTV is definitely not considered luxury any longer.

Last edited:
Because people who actually install Dish are reporting they are very busy. These customers aren’t materializing out of thin air.

Really ???
If you ask the D* Installers, they are very busy as well.

Could part of it, perhaps be, that there are fewer installers? Dish is having its own troubles with several channel disputes, same as DirecTV/ATT.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
guess i am out of the loop, because i have seen no changes in direct in the last 12 years except the new att customer service sucks. what am i missing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)