In Defense of Dish Network

kg2280

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have been visiting these boards for quite a while now to get the latest and greatest on Dish Network and I am amazed at the amount of complaints I read on a daily basis about them.
I was a Dish Network customer for many years and about a year ago, after I bought my Panasonic 50" 1080p Plasma, I jumped ship and switched to Direct TV because at the time they had a LOT more HD to offer at the time.
That was bit biggest mistake I could have ever made, missed install appointments, on the day of the actual installation they were late and the installers were constantly knocking Dish (are you kidding me...these are the guys who couldn't honor an install date to begin with).
I had the service for approx 3-4 months and I hated it (crappy equipment, horrible on screen menus, slow response time to remote control, guide set up, freezing up receivers, etc)
About a month or so of that, Dish launched lots of new HD channels and introduced the all HD packages, and I didn't think twice about paying the early term fee and getting the heck outta dodge.
Back with Dish now and for the most part, I'm very happy. Sure they don't have all the HD channels I wish they had ( IFC HD, AMC HC, FX HD) but they have a heck of a lot more than they did a year ago, and I know more will come....with time and patience.
Not every provider in the world has all the channels one persons wants, sorted in perfect packages to fit everyone's lifestyle and budget.
Basically, all I'm trying to say is, give it a rest people! If Dish doesn't have everything you want, SWITCH. It's that simple! But I dare you to find that "perfect provider" that meets all your wants and needs to a tee.
"They don't have this in HD."
"This channel isn't in this package."
"Why this channel and not that channel?"
Give it a rest, as I read in another thread, Dish could offer all HD channels known to man and some of you would still complain, if for no other reason just to say you have nothing to complain about.

I was with Direct, hated them, paid the fee (because I was worth it to me because I was that unhappy with the service, hint hint), came back to Dish, accepted what they had to offer and got on with my life. The HD channels I wish they had, I believe someday they will have and if not, who cares actually??? There's more to complain about that what your TV provider dosen't have....at the moment.
If you hate Dish that much and feel they are liars and this and that........SWITCH!

Just my 2cents.
Now, I'm willing to accept the title of "Most Hated Forum Member".....:up

Well, first of all welcome to the site and posting. All I have to say is everyone has an opinion, and in this country we can express our opinions, even complaints as we wish.

Sorry you had to waist your time reading our complaints.

stick with dish and start singing their praises.
where are all your praise posts about dish?, not seeing any!
obviously over 100,000 people disagree with ya, as dish lost those subs in 1 quater alone.

I'm very happy with Dish, too. There's a few channels I'd like, but no provider is perfect. They're a huge step above cable and certainly on par with D*...

Love their dvr's as well as dual antenna's and my external storage drives....it's all worth it to me just because of their unending improvements to their equipment!

Seriously, kg2280, a taunting post for your first one? Why don't you take your own advice and switch forums so you don't have to read what gets posted here. We don't need trolls around here and you seem to be one.

Nah, not at all, quite the opposite actually. Like I said, there's a few channels I wish Dish, they don't right now and that's that.
Just got very tired of reading the same complaints about the same things day after day in multiple threads when there's a simple solution if you're that unhappy.....SWITCH!!!

Yeah I been happy with Dish will never go back to cable here locally. To me cable is be hind the times their hardware is not that good and you dont get as much for your dollar. Dish Rocks and I will stay with Sat Tv. Direct would be my second option if there was no Dish but several of my friends were with Direct came to Dish and they all say they wished they made the switch sooner. Thanks for your input! Welcome to Dish and Welcome aboard on Satellite Guys best place on the Net for Sat info.

I've been with Dish for over 12 years. In general, I like the service - certainly enough to keep me from switching. There are certain business practices that I don't care for. But the main thing that keeps me in the Dish camp: The 622 DVR. I don't think any other provider has something nearly as good. If Directv had something with the same capability, I might consider switching.

KG2880, I would hardly call you the most hated forum member. I was fine with your post until you called people out for complaining. There are many subscribers happy with Dish. They are busy watching TV with their subscriptions rather than complaining on the Internet. However, many people are understandably unhappy with Dish, Direct, U-verse, Time Warner Cable, Comcast, Cox, Suddelink, Cablevision, FIOS, etc. They have the right to complain just as much as you have the right to praise them.

I do appreciate the insight about D*. I've considered switching, but D* really doesn't have any more HD than Dish when looking at the actual HD content of the channels. (Viacom upconverts vs. Travel Channel HD--nuff said) Time Warner Cable and U-verse are also available to me. Yeah, I have FOUR providers to choose from, yet I still stick w/ Dish. Different people have different needs. Thanks for stating what makes you happy.

If no one mentioned it before, welcome to Satguys! :)

I just switched to D* and I have no regrets, there are a few features like Descending channel order i miss but at the end of the day no matter how nicely laid out a restaruant is it still comes down to what is available on the menu. I don't know if everyone with E* will forgive the months or years it takes them to add a channel D* has had. I got tired of waiting for Spike but it looks like it will finally get added on April 1st. Too little to late for me, I guess.

I would like to point out that the OP post is nothing more than a complaint about complainers. :confused: Could it be Charlie?

I too am happy with my switch back to Dish. I have about 3 times the HD channels for about 60 bucks less per month over Comcast. The signal dropped a few times after the original install, but with a little tweaking I haven't had a problem since! :up

Last edited:
KG2880, I for one appreciate your post, as that I have been wrestling with switching to Direct. My reason is technical. On my property, it is impossible to get LOS to Sat 129 for our HD locals, which just came on today. With D* I can, and ALL of them. So I find your comments about D* (though already condisered) to be timely. I have a couple of weeks to make up my mind.

KG2880, I for one appreciate your post, as that I have been wrestling with switching to Direct. My reason is technical. On my property, it is impossible to get LOS to Sat 129 for our HD locals, which just came on today. With D* I can, and ALL of them. So I find your comments about D* (though already condisered) to be timely. I have a couple of weeks to make up my mind.

For me, that would be a no-brainer (assuming you can't get locals OTA)....I almost switched to D* last year, but they added my locals before I made the move.

For me, that would be a no-brainer (assuming you can't get locals OTA)....I almost switched to D* last year, but they added my locals before I made the move.
If I could not get OTA locals, I would have been with D* a long time ago.

Nah, not at all, quite the opposite actually. Like I said, there's a few channels I wish Dish, they don't right now and that's that.
Just got very tired of reading the same complaints about the same things day after day in multiple threads when there's a simple solution if you're that unhappy.....SWITCH!!!

You come to a forum, make your first post, start calling people out for voicing complaints and then yelling "switch" at them. That's taunting and troll-like behavior. Where do you get off telling people to switch because they voice complaints or even suggesting they don't have the right to complain. Once again if you don't want to read about complaints, go elsewhere. I've been with E* since August 1998 and will complain if I want even though it apparently upsets your delicate sensibilities.

You come to a forum, make your first post, start calling people out for voicing complaints and then yelling "switch" at them. That's taunting and troll-like behavior. Where do you get off telling people to switch because they voice complaints or even suggesting they don't have the right to complain. Once again if you don't want to read about complaints, go elsewhere. I've been with E* since August 1998 and will complain if I want even though it apparently upsets your delicate sensibilities.
Totally disagree. He called out no one, except you maybe. He told his story, his opinions and said what WE ALL have said MANY times.

I would rely on a more substantive post to make a decision. Installers are bad and good with all providers. My D* installer was 15min late and I got a $100 credit. I hope they are late for you as well. :up
My 622 used to need a soft reset to prevent unexpected reboots and my HDMI didn't work; got it swapped and it was rock solid. Don't know what D* equip he had but rest assure by reading D* forums you can tell there is no rampant lockups.
Directv, 100,000 DISH subs can't be wrong. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)