IN Demand Reaches MLB EI Agreement

pdxsam

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Tigard, Oregon
MLB announces iN DEMAND deal
MLB Channel Expects to Launch in 40 Million Homes through Multi-Distributor Pact

Major League Baseball announced today that iN DEMAND has entered into a seven-year agreement in principle to carry the MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games and will distribute the MLB Channel, which is scheduled to launch in January 2009.

The MLB EXTRA INNINGS subscription package of out-of-market games is currently available to DIRECTV subscribers. iN DEMAND owners Comcast, Cox Communications and Time Warner Cable have agreed to carry the package, effective immediately. iN DEMAND also will offer to make the MLB Extra Innings subscription package available to other cable companies across the U.S. Like all distributors of MLB Extra Innings, these cable operators would also be required to carry the MLB Channel once it is launched.

The MLB Channel will be the first and only network dedicated to providing baseball programming to MLB fans 24 hours a day, seven days a week on a year-round basis. Major League Baseball's partnerships with DIRECTV and iN DEMAND mean the MLB Channel is expected to launch in 40 million homes.

"Our chief goal throughout the process was to ensure that fans would have access to as many baseball games and as much baseball coverage as possible," said MLB President and Chief Operating Officer Bob DuPuy. "With this agreement, the MLB Channel will launch with an unprecedented platform. We are pleased with the launch of the MLB Channel to so many homes coupled with our agreement to extend the distribution of MLB Extra Innings with iN DEMAND."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_relea...ent_id=1879904&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

I suspect that E* will pass as well. and i suspect that after my commitment is up (I gota 622 in feb) that I will head elsewhere. No Natiaonls and No Red Sox---and BOTH situations would be eliminated if I switch to D*, cox or Verizon.

Why stay? So I can watch VOOM and the Phantom Gourmet on WSBK?

well now its simple... if Dish doesn't get it, I leave as soon as I can.

are you listening, Dish ? probably not but I hope so.

Their backs are against the wall. I suspect E* is going to pass on this one.

I don't really care that much about EI because the blackouts are insane and no OTA games makes the package crap IMO, but I would like the MLB channel so I am hoping they get it done for that reason alone.

The baseball channel interests me a lot. I hope they do the right thing and show classic games and such. It would be a great channel addition then.

Ok, D* stated all games next season are in HD, will Cable be able to do the same? Something I would like to see InDemand and the Cable companies address.

FWIW I called the 800 333 DISH number and was read a script that basically said that DISH will not be carrying the package. They tried to placate me with news that many ganes will be on Fox or local channels (they don't even carry my RSN).

I hate to think about leaving since I like my 622 but we are talking about the red Sox. Where I come from you don't go around taking the red Sox away from people.

I cannot believe that Dish Network would put themselves in a situation of being left out in the cold for the duration of this contract (7 years isn't it?).

Unless Dish gets the EXACT same deal as Direct gets (which I am sure InDemand didn't get) then Dish shouldn't cave, period! If Dish doesn't carry it, they lose at most 55,000 subs? They will make that back within three months.

i would maybe say.. they need to get the same deal InDemand got.. it was good enough for them to agree to it.

I cannot believe that Dish Network would put themselves in a situation of being left out in the cold for the duration of this contract (7 years isn't it?).

looks like no EI for Dish......then they launch only 7 RSN's in HD and according to their press release thats all for now....so the rest of the RSN's in HD are SOL........my contract expires in October if my RSN (FSN North) is not in HD by October i will be gone

I think there is more at play here. For Dish to not carry EI sends a signal to people who subscribe to sports packages that they may be next as they have not shown the commitment. They don't have the history that DirecTV does and the present doesn't look so hot. So if you're a sports guy and you're looking at being locked up for up to two years with a contract, then DirectTV is the safer bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)