in motion dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Check with winegard or king controls. There are others as well. You'll have to make sure certain models work with a dual tuner, some do not work as well.

Dual tuners do not work well with dome as there is only one LNBF and either tuner can issue positioning commands. It is really a show to watch a dual tuner go through a Switch Check with the servo swing back and forth.

When friends with a dome wanted to use their VIP722K, we finally attached only one tuner because we could only complete a Switch Check once in about 8 tries.

Dual-tuner models such as the 322 are not recommended.

The ViP211 and ViP211k are the recommended models.

Manufacturers include KVH (TracVision), King Controls (King-Dome) and Winegard (RoadTrip).

IIRC some years ago a "flat" antenna was announced for vehicle roofs and could theoretically be used in motion. I think the price was something only God could afford, though. DK if it ever came out.

m looking at the winegard rt 4035 it says it can handle 2 recievers or 1 dual.
There is a difference in having two coax feeds and having two LNBFs which no dome has.

The Winegard RT-4035 has a primary and a secondary output it says in the instructions
Connect a coax cable from the “Satellite in” port of the primary receiver to
the main port on the back of the RoadTrip Mission unit. For a two receiver
or dual tuner (DVR) installation, connect a second coax cable (not provided)
to the secondary port on the back of the RoadTrip Mission unit. Note: the
secondary receiver will not toggle.
Not sure what the statement receiver will not toggle means.

The Winegard RT-4035 has a primary and a secondary output it says in the instructions
Connect a coax cable from the “Satellite in” port of the primary receiver to
the main port on the back of the RoadTrip Mission unit. For a two receiver
or dual tuner (DVR) installation, connect a second coax cable (not provided)
to the secondary port on the back of the RoadTrip Mission unit. Note: the
secondary receiver will not toggle.
Not sure what the statement receiver will not toggle means.

Means toggle between 110/119

The issue is that connecting more than 1 receiver will prevent you from toggleing period! As when 1 receiver is connected the Dish will move from 119 to 110 on the fly as you change the channels.

Those systems really work best with a Directv 101 setup only. Anything multi-satellite generally screw things up on more than 1 receiver

I could have sworn there were automatic antennas with a twin or even triple LNB inside. Am I dreaming?

Yes you are dreaming.

The The Winegard RT-4035 only looks for voltage changes on coax cable 1 to control which satellite is being viewed. Hence only tuner 1 can change the satellite. The coax 2 is on the same satellite as coax 1.

You can use the 322. I used a VIP622 with an AS-2003 (virtually the same as the RT4035. To use only one coax (you can't use a separator) , a CSR sent a command to the 622 so it would stop squawking about no signal on tuner 2. I eventually re-routed the second coax from the roof dish to the 622 and had the CSR undo whatever was done.

Last edited:
There is a serious difference with an In-Motion dome that the OP originally stated and a Winegard Trav'ler that can only be used when you are stopped.

Point well taken. "In motion" is even part of the thread title. Anyhow, the Trav'ler is what I was remembering. One wonders why a dome isn't available for this dish.

Pure logistics. A dome can be maybe 13" high (have to stay under 13' 6" total height). Not enough space for the size reflector needed for multiple LNBFs.

Anyhow, the Trav'ler is what I was remembering. One wonders why a dome isn't available for this dish.
Notice that the Trav'ler series uses a conventional HD dish. You would have to fit that whole antenna assembly (including the LNB and arm) under the dome and figure out some way to keep it level so the skew didn't get messed up with curve banking and road crown.

I would imagine that it would also be a lot of weight to hurl around to fulfill the in-motion requirements where the Trav'ler pretty much just locks it down once it has found home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)