In NYC-- lost several Bell xponders on 91

NYSatelliteman

Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
Hello....I'm aware that Bell's 82/Nimiiq 4 satellite removed access to most people below the Canadian border, but with their main satellite at 91 degrees I have lost total signal -- 0 signal strength-- on transponders 18, 22, 24, and 26. It's been this way for a few weeks (though it must be said that several other even transponders that were also at 0 signal strength last week-- such as transponders 10 and 4-- have since returned to normal).

Does anyone know what is going on and why? I have read that some transponders on 91 are being swapped to Nimiq 2, and that some people in the US in Arizona and California are actually getting improved signal strength on transponders they couldn't receive before.

So, what's going on here in NY for me? Do I need to re-align my dish to correct any transfers Bell made to Nimiq 2? Is Bell ultimately planning to remove access in the US to 91 as it did 82 and is just practicing now? Why are some in the US-- according to the posts I've read-- getting better signal on the same transpopnders I have lost all signal on? (transponders 18, 22, 24, 26).

Any info, advice, or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello....I'm aware that Bell's 82/Nimiiq 4 satellite removed access to most people below the Canadian border, but with their main satellite at 91 degrees I have lost total signal -- 0 signal strength-- on transponders 18, 22, 24, and 26. It's been this way for a few weeks (though it must be said that several other even transponders that were also at 0 signal strength last week-- such as transponders 10 and 4-- have since returned to normal).

Does anyone know what is going on and why? I have read that some transponders on 91 are being swapped to Nimiq 2, and that some people in the US in Arizona and California are actually getting improved signal strength on transponders they couldn't receive before.

So, what's going on here in NY for me? Do I need to re-align my dish to correct any transfers Bell made to Nimiq 2? Is Bell ultimately planning to remove access in the US to 91 as it did 82 and is just practicing now? Why are some in the US-- according to the posts I've read-- getting better signal on the same transpopnders I have lost all signal on? (transponders 18, 22, 24, 26).

Any info, advice, or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

I am 30 miles north of Times Square. I have an 18 inch dish pointed at 91. While my signal strength on the four transponders you mention has declined - it still is pretty good.

Transponder 18. Previously 82 now 73.
Transponder 22. Previously 96 now 74.
Transponder 24. Previously 93 now 80.
Transponder 26. Previously 81 now 73.

Maybe you should try peaking your dish.

Thanks,,,I will re-adjust my dish.

But, I am curious. Have the majority of your transponders lost or gained strength? Had you lost total signal on any transponder during the last few weeks before the signal returned? And, what do you think it means that the 4 transponders (18, 22, 24, 26) lost approximately 10 points in signal strength? Do you think it's a sign that Bell plans to ultimately do to 91's signal what it did to 82's (remove total signal south of Canada)?

Has anyone lower than "30 miles North of Times Square" lost total signal on the 4 mentioned transponders? Maybe signal strength is still good north of NYC, but disappears south of upstate NY.

Hi OCK in Alabama-- Are you using an 18 inch dish? If you are and getting a good signal on the 4 transponders I have lost signal on, I guess my question is answered.

Thanks

Hi OCK in Alabama-- Are you using an 18 inch dish? If you are and getting a good signal on the 4 transponders I have lost signal on, I guess my question is answered.

Thanks

My TP readings for 91W on a 20" dish are:

Transponder 18 - 78
Transponder 22 - 80
Transponder 24 - 81
Transponder 26 - 80

Now 82W is a different story :(. That is why I have moved to Star Choice. I haven't taken my Bell dish down yet but soon...

Thanks,,,I will re-adjust my dish.

But, I am curious. Have the majority of your transponders lost or gained strength? Had you lost total signal on any transponder during the last few weeks before the signal returned? And, what do you think it means that the 4 transponders (18, 22, 24, 26) lost approximately 10 points in signal strength? Do you think it's a sign that Bell plans to ultimately do to 91's signal what it did to 82's (remove total signal south of Canada)?

Most have remained the same. Transponders 4, 8, 10 and 12 (in addition to the ones you mentioned) have dropped between 10 and 15 points). However they still are quite strong (between 71 and 83). I do not recall losing signal on any transponder except during some heavy rain we had earlier this month. As to your question about the future of 91, I do not know the answer. Did your re-point help your signal level?

IS there a new sat at 91?

Intermittently I have a very strong signal on the odd transponders on 91. It will occasionally fade and then return. Strength seem to be either close to zero or 99-100% ( I have a 95cm dish).
The even transponders to not seem to be affected, and run in the 80s.
I am wondering if they are still playing with the new sat , set up , testing, etc ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)