In Tallahassee, FL need to move and to stupid to figure it out.

firesole33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Ok so the title says it all. I live in Tallahassee, FL where dish doesn't have hd locals. The OTA here is sketchy at best and getting NBC is impossible from everything I can tell. I want NBC HD for the Olympics. So here is where I need help. The best I can tell Tampa, and Orlando are the only DMA's that have HD somewhat near me. Can I get either one of those? I have tried looking up all the maps possible on this site, but that crap makes no sense to me. The markets are only 4 hours from me so I don't see why I can't but can anyone help?

If you subscribe to the HD package you will see Olympic HD on USA, MSNBC, Universal and a couple of other channels.

Didn't Gainseville just get HD Locals?

Didn't Gainseville just get HD Locals?

Man if that sinkhole of a town would have gotten it before us I would be a bit upset. And with my hatred for the gators I wouldn't switch to their locals anyway. :D

So I am assuming I have no choice? Atlanta"s are out I'm guessing? what about Pensacola? they don't have NBC but at least I get the rest.

I don't know why you can't get NBC HD OTA there. According to my sources WTWC should be carrying NBC HD programming on ch-2 in Tallahassee. (ch-40 after Feb)

I can't help with your 'moving' question, but I'm surprised that you can't get your locals via OTA in a city as big as Tallahassee.

I obviously don't know your exact address, but when I plug in Tallahassee, FL over on TVFool.com, I'm seeing all of the major networks are supposedly Line-of-sight and 'in the green' for you. This means that you ought to be able to pick them up pretty easily via OTA with even a 'basic' sort of antenna. See for yourself.

One note though, the NBC channel is a VHF channel, 2. Do you have a UHF-only antenna now? That might explain why you can't pick it up very well.

NBC: WTWC: Channel 2. 24.9 miles away (VHF)
CBS: WCTV: Channel 46. 25.9 miles (UHF)
FOX: WTLH: Channel 50, 24.9 miles (UHF)
ABC: WTXL: Channel 22, 24.5 miles (UHF)

All four are even in the same direction, ~52 degrees. IMHO, you're in good shape for OTA HD.

Even with just a cheap, rabbit-ear style VHF antenna sitting next to your TV, I bet you'll be able to pick up WTWC. Unless of course you live in a concrete bunker or something. ;)

And yes, TVFool also says that WTWC is moving to a UHF channel post Feb'09.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I live in Tallahassee and get all of the HD networks OTA.

What antenna do you have? I have been through 3 expensive antennas and I get everything decently except NBC... Even reading on AVS for Tallahassee lots of people complain about not getting it. If you get them consistently with no drop please tell me what you have and where you got it. I'll be glad to get one. Everyone I know that has OTA cannot get NBC.

Thanks,

According to the FCC database, WTWC is running 9.2 kW at 582.9 meters (1912-ft) HAAT.
It should be easy to get if you have a suitable antenna. Just remember- ch-2 is a low VHF channel and UHF antennas or even some hi-band VHF won't work crap at 54-Mhz. But you can make your own simple diapole antenna by cutting a nine foot wire in half and connect it to some RG6 going to the TV. Position it broadside to the transmitter which is northeast of Tallahassee.

In fact- here is their coverage map- http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-service-area?x=DT620365.html

FMTV-service-area

What antenna do you have? I have been through 3 expensive antennas and I get everything decently except NBC... Even reading on AVS for Tallahassee lots of people complain about not getting it. If you get them consistently with no drop please tell me what you have and where you got it. I'll be glad to get one. Everyone I know that has OTA cannot get NBC.

Thanks,

I have a Winegard GS2000 the new one is a GS2200. I have it attached to my Dish mast. I live on the East side of town near Tom Brown park. That may have something to do with it?