In the market for a new projector screen

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

2x10

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
My uncle is in the market for a new projector screen around the 106 size. Doesn't have to be spectacular, just decent at a cheap price. He won't know the difference between a good one or a bad one. Can anyone direct me to a website?

thanks!

There are several questions to ask before I can given an answer.

First, is he looking for a fixed screen or a roll down one?
Second, aspect ration. I am assuming 16:9
Third, is the room dark? If so a white screen, otherwise gray.
Fourth: Approximate room size, seating distance and projector distance from screen
Finally: type of projector.

If I make the most common assumptions where he is sitting about 10' away and the projector is 12-15' away, I'd look into a 110-120" screen. I would assume a fixed screen and that the room can be made dark. Also assuming he is using an entry projector like the Epson 8350 or the Mitsu 4000.

Under those circumstances, I would suggest he look for either the Jamestown screen, or the Elite SableFrame series. The Jamestown sells on ebay or you can order directly from Home Theatre Projection Screens - Jamestown Home Theater Screen

The elites can be found in lots of locations, including Amazon and Sears, which usually has a very competitive price. General info can be found here: SableFrame Series

Elite also makes cheap retractable screens, but once you get into that area, you get more questions like Electric or manual? and Tab Tensioned?

BTW, both of those screens are vinyl. I own a Sableframe and it was pretty easy to put together. Costs run from $250-400 depending on which screen and where you buy it. Shop around.

There are also really good DIY options out there, but I am guessing your uncle wants something turn key.

unfortunately, he is looking for something cheaper than that! projector is 14ft away, seating is anywhere from 20 to 10 ft away. projector is a sony and it is crappy -- not sure of model -- and he def wants a 16:9 and fixed is perfectly fine and the room has some light but not much. He didnt listen to anything I told him -- he bought a junk receiver and a bare bones projector.

thanks for all your input

You are definitely stuck with a DIY or used screen. At under $100 you do have a few options.

1. Craigslist. Who knows what will show up. You see the old beaded DaLite screens all the time, but they limit you to 60" or so.
2. Project against the wall. You can paint the wall with a screen mix like silverfire or a custom blend (see below)
3. Blackout cloth. Available at JoAnns Fabrics or other fabric stores. You can build a frame or just tack it to the wall
4. White laminate. You want white or gray and a matte surface. Wilsonart Designer White is a popular choice. It is sturdy and a lot of folks use it. However, most setups end up costiing around $150 or so.
5. Sintra Board
6. Foamcore
The last two choices are quick and easy. You can pick up a 4x8 piece of either at an art supply house, cut to the proper aspect ratio with a razor knife and be going within an hour. If you want to get fancy, you buy some door molding and frame it directly to the wall. If you really want to get fancy, you cover the wood with velvet. Later on when you decide you want better performance, you paint it with one of the custom mixes and end up with a pretty good screen.

There is a DIY screen forum over here: DIY Screen Section - AVS Forum
They have a ton of good information, but be aware that they also have strong opinions over there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)