In wall speaker recommendations

satnewb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 9, 2011
New Baltimore, MI
Anyone have any preferences or recommendations?

Just picked up a Yamaha rxv673 and am currently just running some crappy 15 yr old bose bookshelves for the time being. I prewired the room for 7.2 and will be doing in wall speakers due to my anal retentive-ness as far as aesthetics. For now I would for sure like to go with front, center, and sub. Budget is flexible within reason.

Room is used for general purpose entertainment i.e. sports, tv, and movies, and some music, and is approximately 15x15.

I've researched online and on avs but most folks seem to have either towers or on wall speakers.

Thanks in advance.

I love the BG and Sunfire series, but they are very expensive. Klipsch in walls are reasonable and sound nice.

S~

Just had a 16 X 24 room addition on my home. I used Paradigm SA-15's for the surrounds and surround backs. They are supposed to be for ceiling mounting, but I reused them from my prior living room. I also used 14 ga. oxygen free copper speaker wire. Some people like 12 ga., but I think for surrounds, 14 is good enough. My fronts are floor standing.

I like in wall speakers because the room dosnt look over powering with speakers all over the place. The sound, especially with Blu-Rays is fantastic.

Ill put my system up against anyone with on wall surrounds. Just be sure to place them properly.

Take a look at Definitive Technology. I have their tower speakers but run their in-wall speakers for my back surround. DefTech is clearing out some of their older in-wall designs and good deals can be found on those. They aren't enclosed so you might want to add some damping material in that section of wall if you get those. I use them as surround speakers, so I didn't do any treatment on them. They are the UIW BP/A and UIW BPZ/A. The DefTech UIW RLS II/III are enclosed left/right speakers. The only option available to you for a center channel is the UIW 75, which will fit between the studs in a horizontal position. You would have to do some stud cutting in order to fit a DI 6.5 LCR. I would get the UIW BPZ/A for surrounds as they have canted drivers. Search for them on Amazon as they are no longer available from DefTech dealers. The only other thing to do is match drivers as close as possible -- If L/R are UIW RLS III then get UIW 65 or DI 5.5 LCR for center. A 5.1 package is going to cost about $2700. If that is too high, then take a look at the Polk in-wall speakers.

Link to DefTech In-Wall line -- http://www.definitivetech.com/products/in-wall-in-ceiling-speakers/

If you go with the UIW BPZ/A, I just checked Amazon and SquidFly only has ONE PAIR left.

Last edited:
I failed to mention that I built enclosures for my surrounds and surround backs. I placed a 2X6 above and below my L + R surrounds and filled the enclosure with fiberglass insulation. I placed a 2X4 (rear wall 2X4 const.) above and below my L + R back surrounds and also filled with fiberglass insulation. While working on my addition, I connected an old Akai 2 channel receiver to the L+R surrounds to have music as I worked. I could not believe how good they sounded in the enclosures! I could really crank them up and they rocked.

I love the BG and Sunfire series, but they are very expensive. Klipsch in walls are reasonable and sound nice.

S~

I have used Klipsch in-walls as surround speakers in the past and was satisfied with them. Not sure if I would use them as mains. Placement is as important as the speaker configuration and a couple of inches can make a big difference. For that reason alone, I prefer having standalone speakers for the front three.

satnewb, how to you like the 673? That's the one I've been looking at , to replace my older Yamaha RX-V995.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts