Incomplete (?) Hopper install

viggen61

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Northern New Jersey
So, yesterday the local installer came by to replace my 622 (1000.4 dish) with a Hopper (1H/0J). The only thing he did was replace the receiver. No outside work was done.

It's working, as in I can watch live programs, and programs on my two EHDs (Yay!). But I cannot record anything, and PTAT won't work at all.

Running a check switch, I can see that Tuner 3 is all red "X"s. both the installer and I ran CS several times, in the hope that it would fix the problem.

I'm suspecting the installer missed something, like new coax or not installing a "node" anywhere (thanks for posting the installer guides!), rather than a bad Hopper.

Am I on the right track?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I should add: the EA Dish had only one coax coming in from the switch. It then went into a separator to the 622s two tuner inputs.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head if he didn't do anything outside. For the hopper, you need two wires from the dish to the node, then one wire from the node to the hopper. I would think running a wire from the dish directly to the hopper could give only 2 tuners at the most. I'm actually surprised it even functions.

If only one cable is possible going to the hopper, then the node could in principle be located at the dish. At least I think it's waterproof!

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head if he didn't do anything outside. For the hopper, you need two wires from the dish to the node, then one wire from the node to the hopper. I would think running a wire from the dish directly to the hopper could give only 2 tuners at the most. I'm actually surprised it even functions.

Well, I can watch things live, and the PG shows what's on NOW, sometimes what's on next, and rarely what's on after that, but more than 3-4 hours out, the PG is essentially blank. And it won't record anything...

I guess I'll need to call them...

The fact that you have X's on tuner three makes me believe the node is missing. Its just speculation of course but it makes sense.

Well, I know the Node is missing. The tech didn't install one, and one of the Diagnostic screens shows "Node: None" at the top...

Ok, another question: How to deal with this? The tech gave me the phone # of the local installer company that he works for. He tells me that they offer a 60 day warranty on the install, and I should call them instead of Dish if I'm having a problem. He then tells me something like I'll get a charge for a second visit if I call Dish...

That's not making sense to me. I really don't care who I call, so long as it gets resolved. I'm just wondering if the local installer co. is doing something not approved by Dish in this regard...

Well, I know the Node is missing. The tech didn't install one, and one of the Diagnostic screens shows "Node: None" at the top...

Ok, another question: How to deal with this? The tech gave me the phone # of the local installer company that he works for. He tells me that they offer a 60 day warranty on the install, and I should call them instead of Dish if I'm having a problem. He then tells me something like I'll get a charge for a second visit if I call Dish...

That's not making sense to me. I really don't care who I call, so long as it gets resolved. I'm just wondering if the local installer co. is doing something not approved by Dish in this regard...

You can call the local retailer or you can contact us. Which ever you prefer is fine. If you'd like me to set this up for you please just PM me your account information.

The fact that you have X's on tuner three makes me believe the node is missing. Its just speculation of course but it makes sense.

Yeah if your getting Sat X's then it's most likely a NODE issue. Make sure the tech or reseller whoever your dealing with brings you a new NODE and then power up the hoppers. Then they should run through the setup which should not take that long but seems like there some bad Nodes out there so make sure they change it out. I had a similar issue with my install end up being 2 bad NODES had the reseller bring me one that had been working on a system that way I knew for sure the 3rd NODE was good. But again make sure they change it out..

Most definatelty should've been installed with a single node. Two cables from Dish to the node and one to the Hopper. The node can go outside no problem, they're waterproof. Make sure to put a terminator on the client output that isn't being used on the node.

ZachS@DISH Network said:
You can call the local retailer or you can contact us. Which ever you prefer is fine. If you'd like me to set this up for you please just PM me your account information.

I'll give the local a shot on this one. I was kind of surprised that the guy they sent had only done about 10 Hopper installs in the 3 months or so it has been available.

If I'm unsatisfied after that, I know where to go for help! :)

Yes, the Hopper will have limited functionality without the node. Limitations include no MoCA communication (not applicable with only 1 Hopper) and Tuner 3 will be non-functional. Need to get the installer (if possible, get an installer that actually knows what he's doing) back out to install a Solo Node (two feeds from the Dish to the node) and place a 75-ohm terminator on the spare CLIENT port.

The tech gave me the phone # of the local installer company that he works for. He tells me that they offer a 60 day warranty on the install, and I should call them instead of Dish if I'm having a problem. He then tells me something like I'll get a charge for a second visit if I call Dish...

He wants you to call the local retailer so a trouble call isn't created against him and he doesn't get charged back for not completing the job

He wants you to call the local retailer so a trouble call isn't created against him and he doesn't get charged back for not completing the job
So yes, I'd call Dish just as a punishment to the installer for such a piss-poor job.

Update: got home tonight to a full program guide, and PTAT that works! I was able to set up some timers. Gosh, that search is great! Made setting up the timers a breeze.

Still no tuner 3, so they're getting a call in the AM.

He definitely did not install the node. He may have just somehow forgot. You can download software and get 2 tuners to work from a single cable from the DPP twin LNB. Because the download takes so long this is how I start all upgrades. I just connect the receiver to the existing wire and get it downloading software immediately then setup joeys or figure out best location for node etc. After the receiver boots to the resolution setup I usually then insert the node and run another check switch to get the 3rd tuner.

dfwdish said:
He definitely did not install the node. He may have just somehow forgot. You can download software and get 2 tuners to work from a single cable from the DPP twin LNB. Because the download takes so long this is how I start all upgrades. I just connect the receiver to the existing wire and get it downloading software immediately then setup joeys or figure out best location for node etc. After the receiver boots to the resolution setup I usually then insert the node and run another check switch to get the 3rd tuner.

Well, I asked him if there was anything to do outside... :rolleyes:

Is PTAT locked to tuner 3, perhaps? I thought I kicked it on earlier tonight, but nothing is showing yet...

Oh, and I can't seem to locate the auto hop setting for PTAT. Clues?

I attached my Check Switch screen.

Thanks, all!

Attachments

• image-730158598.jpg
    image-730158598.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
The Hopper is a 3 tuner device. You can only fit 2 channels on a single coax. There should be 2 coaxes to a single node and 1 coax to your hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts