Increase recording capasity?

Yep. You pay $40 one time for the privilege. Make sure the drive you buy has it's own power supply and is not multiple drives bridged together. Look on this site for the list of drives that will work.

so ur saying Dish has to allow this?

Your saying Dish has to turn on or activate the dvr to allow it to record programs to the usb external drive? Is the the $40. for this?

USB Failures on VIP722?

Sonic2000

Have you experienced USB failures with the VIP722? Since I first started using the USB port with a 1TB external drive I get USB failures upon trying to copy a second file/show. That is, the first copy to the external works OK, but upon the second try I get the USB failure. I have to clear the error, disconnect and then reconnect the external drive to use it again.

Thanks,
mangles in San Jose

Sonic2000

Have you experienced USB failures with the VIP722? Since I first started using the USB port with a 1TB external drive I get USB failures upon trying to copy a second file/show. That is, the first copy to the external works OK, but upon the second try I get the USB failure. I have to clear the error, disconnect and then reconnect the external drive to use it again.

Thanks,
mangles in San Jose
You have not said what brand and size of drive was troubling. We know that Seagate has some sleep problems with delayed 2nd files that can be deferred by not allowing sleep, but harder on drive, likely.
I have not had problems on 750GB WD and 1TB Cavalry, some staying powered most of the time.
-Ken

Sonic2000

Thanks,
mangles in San Jose

Only problem I had was the 722k would not recognize the drive after it had been connected to the 622. When speaking with E* tech they realized that the 722k was new to my account and sent it a "hit" which resolved the issue. I have had no further problems with the drive which is a Cavalry CAUM Series Model #CAUM3701T0-B which I got from Newegg when they were on sale earlier this month. If you do a search for "hard drives" (I think its called hard drive bargin watch)on the site you will find what people have been buying to use with their VIP receivers.

Just to clarify ... an external USB drive does not increase the "recording" capacity. It does increase the "storage" capacity.

For example, I have a 722. I have about 500MB of "recording" capacity. If I add a 1TB external USB drive, I do not have 1.5TB of "recording" capacity. I will always only have a maximum of 500MB, or the space left on the 722, for "recording". What the external USB drive allows you to do is move your recorded programs from your 722 to the USB drive; thus, freeing up space on the 722 to give back more "recording" room.

Make sense?

KKlare

You nailed the problem. I have a new Seagate 1Tb FreeAgent EDD. These drives come configured with a sleep mode in which the drive spins down following about 15 minutes of non-use.

I just finished reading many complaints on the Segate support web site. The sleep issue has been around for over two years.

The Seagate software allows PC users to configure the sleep mode/timer. The MAC folks are pissed. Seagate's postings indicate MAC users may want to move the drive to a PC for reset the timers.

I do not know it the timers can be changed after we have formatted for a Dish DVR. I will test this in the future. I think I will also look at the Weakknees EDD soluations. When I last looked they wanted $200 for a 1Tb EDD, whereas the Newegg was selling the Seagate FreeAgent 1 Tb for $94. I guess you get what you pay for.

To all that replied, my thanks for taking the time to do so.

cheers,
mangles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)