increasing signal in fringe area.

pepper rex

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
I am in a location where I get great signals on 119 ( 115%) but only marginal on the 110 with a lot of rain fade. I am using a 40 inch separate dish on the roof for this satellite. I have maximal peaking and know a bigger dish would help but 40 inch is max advised for my roof.
Would a low noise lnb like the new titanium .2db help?. Also what about rg11cable which has lower impedance than my current rg6 coaxial .
My cable run is only 100 feet so an in line amplifier is not recommended.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rain Fade?

So let me get this straight...you have two 40" dishes one pointing at 110 and one at 119? Or a duo LNB setup? Where are you generally located that you need such a large dish? To somewhat answer your question, No I don't think the lower noise LNB will give you enough of a signal boost to warrant the cost, but it may be cheaper than the RG11 to try. Personally, it sounds to me like you have an alignment or obstruction issue with your signal loss. If you'll post more info, I'm sure you'll get some help...what kind of signal strength do you get normally on 110?

;)

What receiver are you using? Some of the older legacy receivers and some of the new dish pro and dish pro plus receivers are known for not reading a signal correctly. What type of lnbf are you using on the 40 inch dish and what frequency rating is the rg-6 that your using inline now? Location would help also for better recomendation, Im going to take a stab in the dark that your in Hawai if your getting the 119 good but struggling with the 110.

Doesnt make any sense then that he would get the 119 so easily yet the 110 is low enough that he would need a 40 inch dish unless the new foot print for the 110 is defined that much.

Actually Having been on the fringe all my days, it makes sense to me. I know first hand that in his area 110 is super weak. Also, YES a better LNB will make a noticable difference when matched with the right horn. I see a monster diff on 110 with it. I cant pick tr # 3 and 10 up (low power mode) at all using a standard one. With my Invacom 0.3 and the matched feedhorn on my 6 goot channel master, not a problem. Go with a larger dish and a better lnb. Just ensure the horn is matched properly. As you go up in dish size, the standard lnb's dont quite see all of the dish correctly.

-B

Thanks for all the replies- greatly appreciated !. I do have separate dishes for 119 and 110 .The 119 dish is 36 inches and as stated great signals with no rain fade. I have a 301 ird. Before the echo6 was taken out of service I could get up to 80%
on this sat. The weak transponders were all on echostar8 and no basic change now that it is all conus. I can't use a bigger dish on the ground or on a mast due to line of sight problems with trees.
I guess if echostar 8 ever goe's to double power on the transponders this will solve my problem. I am in newfoundland canada. My main reason for dish is that my native language is spanish and my canadian provider has only 1 spanish channel in comparison to dish latino with 25.
I get dish through a broker here in canada . Have to pay sub of course in $us with an additional $150 annual activation fee but worth it for me and the family.
Again my thanks for all your help.

Reduce line interference pickup, then dig for every dB

With a maximum size dish and minimum noise figure on the LNBF alrady, you need every dB you can get.

First the easy part:

Add a line amp at the dish, right at the LNBF output connector.

Now put a 10 dB attenuator at the receiver end of the cable (make sure it passes DC without attenuation.)

This will keep your signal to noise ratio at the receiver input close to that at the LNBF output.

Now the harder parts, USE CAUTION if you choose to point the dish at the sun, don't hurt your LNBF!

Check your dish shape to make sure it focuses well at the LNBf (use string from the focal point to the dish when the LNBF is directly over the dishs' center) or for best accuracy paint the dish with chrome paint, put black aluminum at the LNBF feed (not touching the feed) to catch the sunlight so as not to damage the LNBf:D , aim dish at the sun to see the focal spot) *caution hot*

Fix any problems, then repaint the dish grey and remove the black aluminum protecting the LNBF.

Make *sure* no obstacles can get into the beam (rain?;) )

Tweak your aim as perfect as possible.

Even try "skew" (rotating the LNBF (yes, even with circular polarization) or slightly tilting or moving the LNBF toward/away from the dish to get better focus and absolute minimum pickup loss/reflection at the LNBF. We're talking small changes in signal here, but you're desperate I think. These measures wouldn't work on perfect dishes or LNBFs but there are none of those around.

Use the bit error rate (quality) meter to measure your progress while trying these. They will be time-consuming and tedious, with small improvements as a result.

1 or more 40'' dishes would be great for rain fade or if you live in a frindge area. I live near a the big city and have found that with a dish 1000, now practicly obsolite for locals unless I go hd. They probably knew that this would or at least might happen when they did the free upgrade about 2 mnths ago.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts