Indianapolis HD Locals???

Projectrico

On Vacation
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
So I just switched from Comcast to Dish Hd. I love it but I don't have locals in HD. I did with Comcast. So does anybody know when Indianapolis Local HD will be on Dish. And why don;t they have them. I think Direct TV does so why not Dish? Also this is my first post.

The bottom line is money. The locals and dish can not agree on terms. As of right now, INDY isn't on the "coming in the near (or far) future list".

Direct does not have WISH HD (8). It sounds like you did not check out the locals before you switched.

They were originally uplinked in enginering mode, but do to the greedy local broadcasters they were pulled.

So I just switched from Comcast to Dish Hd. I love it but I don't have locals in HD. I did with Comcast. So does anybody know when Indianapolis Local HD will be on Dish. And why don;t they have them. I think Direct TV does so why not Dish? Also this is my first post.

I gave up waiting a long time ago. I'm 45 miles north of Indy and I pull all the Indy HD channels using my outside antenna on a 35 ft. tower. Plus, using the 622 I can record 3 hd programs at the same time!

Im in Monticello and pull in most the indy stations using my Channel Master 4228 mounted about 20 ft up with a 74-99 % signal according to my 622 reciever, probably would be better if I used my TV's tuner. According to antennaweb.org im 62-63 miles from the transmitters.

If you're in the city or even close by, you should be able to easily pull in all the local channels in HD with a simple antenna. The Dish receivers will integrate the antenna channels in with the rest of your program guide.

You'll even receive the subchannels, like channel 13's and channel 8's weather networks which are nice to have during severe weather. I doubt these will ever come through a satellite feed.

I Posted this on Another Forum

To those interested in the Indianapolis area --

I emailed the station managers of WTHR, WISH, WRTV, and WXIN to see if they could provide information upon any contact with Dish. So far, the managers at WISH and WTHR were kind enough to respond.

The manager at WISH responded that his station had no contact with Dish regarding the matter.

The manager at WTHR echoed the earlier post in this threat, but had this addtional information:

"I do know that Dish recently began actively seeking a site to pick up
Indy HD stations but has not contacted us about HD carriage since
dropping out of discussions two years ago. My take is that Dish may have some tentative plans to put Indy stations up in HD sometime later this year, but they haven't even requested to negotiate yet so IF it happens, it will be much later."

So, take it for what is worth. However, seems like those in the Indianapolis area will have to wait a while longer.

Thanks for all the info. So what type of antenna work best. Anybody got any links or ideas?

The channel master 4228 with a good quality pre-amp (ie 7777) on a pole would work best if you live outside of Indy. Since all the HD physical channels are 9 or above, the UHF 4228 works fantastic. Warren electronics is a great place to get channel master items, as well as many other brands. Follow the link below.

Channel Master antennas and pre-amps from Warren Electronics

I live in Noblesville and get NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, MYNETWORK, PBS (INDY & MUNCIE), Channel 40 independant. The only two I have issues with are CW (both versions) & ION (Formally PAX). I received those fine till they went to a lower power anteanna. Those two are due to be back at full power next year.

I have $10 rabbit ears in 3 rooms and get all the ones listed just fine on each TV.

I live in Noblesville and get NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, MYNETWORK, PBS (INDY & MUNCIE), Channel 40 independant. The only two I have issues with are CW (both versions) & ION (Formally PAX). I received those fine till they went to a lower power anteanna. Those two are due to be back at full power next year.

I have $10 rabbit ears in 3 rooms and get all the ones listed just fine on each TV.

Living that close, you should be able to pick it up with rabbit ears. I live about 50 miles out and can't get anything without a roof top antenna.

Thanks for all the info. So what type of antenna work best. Anybody got any links or ideas?

My dad lives in Hartford City (which is 58 miles out). I used a Channel Master 4228 in his attic with a Channel Master 7777 pre-amp. Pulls every one of them in perfectly. Channel 8 is the only digital channel broadcast on VHF channel 9, the rest are UHF. The 4228 is good at pulling in VHF channels down to channel 7.

It's a great combination.

I live in Peru and down in a valley and about 100 miles or so from Indy. would the channel master work for me?

I would say that you would need to run two of them parallel, with a 7777 pre amp and put them on a tower as high as you can. Then I think you would be able to pick them up. Without the two, it would be "iffie". but since the 4228 is pretty cheap, worth a try.

I took down my old, giant, outside antenna in 1976 for cable. Since I went to E* in 2006 my house looks like I work for the CIA with dishes pointing this way and that way. Then E* tells me since they are not providing Indy HD locals I need to get an antenna. What's wrong with this picture?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)