[FONT=&quot]Got this email response today:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ben
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for writing us. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Recently, Dish Network began providing local Indianapolis HD signals to their subscribers. For the last two years we have made numerous attempts to reach an agreement with Dish Network that would include the carriage of our HD signal on their system. Our proposal is far from exorbitant and is in line with industry norms. Unfortunately, DISH has chosen not to accept that new agreement. WTHR has agreements with every other cable, satellite and telephone company provider for our HD signal. It’s unfortunate that DISH customers are shut out and cannot enjoy HD programming from the Indianapolis market leader as do customers of other providers.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our agreement with Dish Network expires on August 30th of this year. We are confident any renewal we might reach with Dish Network will include carriage of our HD signal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Again, thanks for taking the time to write me with your question and thanks for watching WTHR.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jim[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jim Tellus[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]President and General Manager[/FONT]

He meant it was old news to everyone in the group.

Clearly the carriage fees they are demanding are not inline with what the other Indy locals agreed to with Charlie. NBC's advertisers and Dish's Indy customers lose and Charlie the Cheapskate doesn't care.

Dish is very fortunate it still possesses superior hardware compared to its competition...if that weren't the case I know I would have abandoned ship many moons ago as a result of Dish always arriving late to the party (or sometimes never) with respect to programming selection.

I believe most of the time in these instances, the difference comes down to the local station demanding that the provider be charged for every subscriber in the DMA market. In the case of DirecTV and Cable that is the same number as everyone that recieves locals as there is no option to "not" have the locals.

When it comes to dish they don't force you to subscribe and are getting no revenue from cutomers unless they "choose" to subscribe to locals. So "in theory" if only 50% of the cusotmers choose locals in a market Dish would be paying twice as much per subscriber than DirecTV or Cable would.

That's my theroy anyway.

Voyagerbob

I just received a voice mail from Dish announcing that our local Indianapolis channels are now in HD. The message states that "ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox are all now in HD. I have no channel 13 HD. Does anyone else?

What's the deal? I also got the voice mail today, but I have no HD locals over Sat yet in Indy?

What do you need beyond HD receivers and a HD programming package with locals?

Are the HD locals on the normal 6,8,13,59 chan #'s, or are they 9###'s? Neither show up in my guides.

What's the deal? I also got the voice mail today, but I have no HD locals over Sat yet in Indy?

What do you need beyond HD receivers and a HD programming package with locals?

Are the HD locals on the normal 6,8,13,59 chan #'s, or are they 9###'s? Neither show up in my guides.
You need a dish that gets the 129 satellite. You need to call Dish and get a new dish. It should be free, but watch out for a $59.95 installation charge regardless of what the CSR tells you. When you get the HD locals they will appear with the SD locals plus 8100 something or other.

I just received a voice mail from Dish announcing that our local Indianapolis channels are now in HD. The message states that "ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox are all now in HD. I have no channel 13 HD. Does anyone else?
You will also get WTTV (4), but no WTHR (13) for awhile or maybe never.

ugggg... I only have SATs 119, 110, and 61.5 with two dish 500s on my roof at the moment. What new dish will I need to get?

If you listen to the message carefully, it's generic and they leave wiggle room for stations that might be missing. I got the call too.

ILv2Xlr8: You need a single Dish 1000.2 that points to 110, 119, and 129. Several of us have called Dish to get our two 500s replaced with a single 1000.2 for nominal fee or even free, depending on your negotiating skills... :)

ugggg... I only have SATs 119, 110, and 61.5 with two dish 500s on my roof at the moment. What new dish will I need to get?
I had the same two dishes before I got the 1000.2 installed on 03/16/09. I have my Dish service billed through ATT (big mistake) and my DHA expired 02/20/09, so they charged me $59.95, even though the Dish CSR told me it would be free. After 21 minutes on the phone with both ATT and Dish I hopefully got the charge taken off my next bill. Good luck.

P.S. In all likelihood when you get your new 1000.2 they will leave the bracket for the 61.5 attached so you will not have any holes in your roof/siding.

You could just take the dish pointed at 61.5 and repoint it to 129.
Perhaps not. The usual reason for having two dishes is a LOS problem for 129. A lot of installers found it easier to just add another dish to get 61.5 for HD. But since some locals, like Indy, were put up on 129, a "spin around" may not work. In my case, the location was moved several feet from where the original was to get LOS for 129.

There really is no LOS issue in my case, but I still have two dishes. The installer's experience was that he could get better reception on SATs 119, 110, and 61.5 using two dish 500's. If I get one 1000 dish, what would I lose on 61.5?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)