Indoor Antenna Recommendation ?

gjh3260

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 6, 2006
New Brighton, Minnesota
What would be a good INDOOR antenna for picking up local OTA digital channels ?

Currently I have an amplified Terk 5 but am thinking of returning it. From what i have read its an overpriced piece of _____ .

I went out to antennaweb.org and I live 5 miles from the towers and all the digital channels I am interested in are UHF. My zip is 55112.

Being so close to the towers would i even need an amplified antenna or would that be a detriment ??

I have read a lot of positive things about the Zenith Silver Sensor ZHDTV1Z.

Any recommendations ?

gjh3260 said:
What would be a good INDOOR antenna for picking up local OTA digital channels ?

Currently I have an amplified Terk 5 but am thinking of returning it. From what i have read its an overpriced piece of _____ .

I went out to antennaweb.org and I live 5 miles from the towers and all the digital channels I am interested in are UHF. My zip is 55112.

Being so close to the towers would i even need an amplified antenna or would that be a detriment ??

I have read a lot of positive things about the Zenith Silver Sensor ZHDTV1Z.

Any recommendations ?

Only five miles from the tower? I would think (I'm no expert) that almost any decent antenna will work. Perhaps this directional would work in your attic but you would have to turn it if the signals are coming in from different directions.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...&cp=&pg=2&origkw=UHF&kw=uhf&parentPage=search

All channels I am interested in are basically coming for the same direction....either 86 or 90 degrees.......

WCCO-DT 4.1 CBS MINNEAPOLIS MN 86° 4.2 32

WUCW-DT 23.1 WB MINNEAPOLIS MN 86° 4.2 22

KARE-DT 11.1 NBC MINNEAPOLIS MN 86° 4.2 35

WFTC-DT 29.1 UPN MINNEAPOLIS MN 90° 5.0 21

KSTC-DT 45.1 IND MINNEAPOLIS MN 86° 4.2 44

KSTP-DT 5.1 ABC ST. PAUL MN 86° 4.2 50

KTCA-DT 2.1 PBS ST. PAUL MN 90° 5.0 34

KTCI-DT 17.1 PBS ST. PAUL MN 90° 5.0 16

KMSP-DT 9.1 FOX MINNEAPOLIS MN 90° 5.0 26

Silver Sensor is good, with a really good rep. But for 5 miles, a bent coat hanger might work for you. Don't overspend.

I've been using the Radio Shack double bow tie antenna. I believe it is only available on line:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...dtv+antenna&kw=hdtv+antenna&parentPage=search

It's cheap ($14.99) and provides excellent reception. (This is assuming all of your HDTV channels are on UHF.) I get nearly perfect reception on most of my local channels, which are about 12 miles north-west of my house. I have one channel about 15 miles to my south, and a big tree right on the southern side of the house. Leaves on the tree interfere with reception of that channel, so I may eventually go to a roof antenna to get above the tree line.

Thanks for the advice. Probably will go with the Silver Sensor. I can pick one of those up for less than $20 which is a lot cheaper than the $50 Terk 5.

navychop........not so sure about the bent coathanger trick.....i think i got rid of all the metal hangers for plastic ones a few years ago. If only i would have known I could have used them for my digital HD local channels. :eureka

Received the Zenith Silver Sensor ZHDTV1 today. Hooked it up and got higher meter readings with no breakups or pixelation on all my local OTA channels. Will be returning the Terk 5. The Silver Sensor is less than half the cost of the Terk 5. Picked it up at amazon.com for 19.99. Would recommend this antenna if you are looking for a directional antenna and are located fairly close to your transmission towers. I am approximately 5 miles from mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)