Indoor Antenna?

edtorious

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 6, 2005
San Diego, CA
Anybody knows if an indoor antenna would work in my area? Attached is the antennaweb.org map of my place. I already have the upgraded outdoor antenna channelmaster and I got all the channels alright but I'm just curious. Does indoor antenna work? Which indoor antenna is the best in the market right now? Should I give it a try? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• map.bmp
    121.4 KB · Views: 173

TheTimm

Made In Detroit
Supporting Founder
Jun 18, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Only way to tell for sure if one'll work for you is to try one. As for which is the best -- who knows? I've tried many and learned that there seems to be no correlation whatsoever between price & recommendations and how well it actually worked for me. I found the best alternative is simply to buy a half dozen or so from a few stores, and then return all but the one that works best. I found Radio Shack, Circuit City, and oddly enough Lowe's all had decent selections and liberal return policies. I'd give it a try. If nothing else, you'll satisfy a curiosity. :D I finally settled on a set of amplified rabbit-ears from Radio Shack. They picked up all the channels, but never as consistently as the big ol' ChannelMaster I have on the roof now.

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
If you have best buy around your area, I believe they sell the silver sensor indoor antenna. A very good piece of antenna. It is only UHF so if there are VHF channels in your area that you care sometimes it has problem of picking them up. The good thing about best buy is that you may return it if it does not work for you. No questions asked.

snaggerbob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 16, 2004
Taylorville,Illinois
ebay antenna

i bought this one off ebay for $35. it has a rotor and a preamp. i put it in my attic and get all but one local available to me. everyone seems to think the silver sensor is a great antenna.

Attachments

• antenna.jpg
    antenna.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 145
  • antenna 2.jpg
    antenna 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 148

kelljc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 16, 2005
snaggerbob said:
i bought this one off ebay for $35. it has a rotor and a preamp. i put it in my attic and get all but one local available to me. everyone seems to think the silver sensor is a great antenna.

Try a Terk ::"Hdtv indoor Ant, work's very good up to 50 miles out, in Central Ohio, " but Cell towers are really a problem? . I have a 30" and 1 side get 2 on one side, the other side get them all, even upn from Chillicothe 37miles south. .

BigTVSteve

SatelliteGuys Family
Nov 27, 2004
Based on my experience with 4 other indoor amplified and non-amplified antennas, I would vote for the Silver Sensor. It is tiny, so you can easily mount it outside, too. I had marginal reception on a couple of local stations, so I mounted the SS outside and the marginal stations became solid.

edtorious

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Feb 6, 2005
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the suggestions guys! The way my connection was setup was single cable from dish & antenna thru the stb diplexer, so if I'm going to buy and try this indoor antenna, I will remove the diplexer from stb and connect the indoor antenna to the antenna connection in stb and the satellite cable to satellite connection in stb. My question is do I have to disconnect the outdoor antenna connected thru satellite? Will there be a conflict on signals? How do they work anyway? Do you still get local channels even if you have the combined outdoor antenna and satellite connection to a single cable connected to satellite connection on stb and not to the diplexer? If not, then I don't have to disconnect the outdoor antenna since I'm just going to try the indoor antenna I don't want to go thru the hassle of disconnecting the outdoor antenna if indoor antenna doesn't work for me. What do you guys think?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)