Info on new 612?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DWS44

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2004
Rock Hill, SC
Apologies if I just missed this in all the CES coverage, but is there any info yet on the new 612?

I'm curious of upgrade pricing for existing subs, as I've been considering a DVR replacement for my old 811 in the bedroom. I don't need dual-output, so the 612 would seem a good replacement.

Also, other than pricing, any word on the timeframe that E* will release it, and will it have UHF remote? One of the biggest reasons I never upgraded to the 211 was the lack of UHF remote.

Just running this back up the flagpole in case someone returning from Vegas might have any insight. :up

Maybe I'm the only one interested in the 612. :)

DiSH's nomenclature of the 522, 311, 322, 721, 921 was very sensible and relatively easy to figure out - SERIES/TUNERS/OUTPUTS.

It's sad that they've abandoned it.

Of course "a 625 is even better than the 622". :D :D

PS Dish should include UHF remote with every receiver (except perhaps the bare bones single-tuner SD model). UHF remote is one of those DiSH features that distinguishes it from most other TV products like TiVo and Cable boxes.

Sooo...is this box actually going to be released someday? No mention of it in quite a while.

Rumors still continue on it.

I've wondered all along if the reasons for bringing it out are strong enough to merit the cost of stocking, administering, and supporting it. If the manufacturing cost is only $25-$30 less than a 622, then maybe not.

IT is definately not needed. The new 622 that has a bigger hard drive -500gb ,will be the next big receiver out I am betting. The 612 would be a big step backwards with Dish in regards to cutting edge tech, and they would only need it if they wanted to go back to having a receiver at each tv and to create more additional receiver fees.

I do not see why they are releasing the 612 receiver unless it is a lot cheaper to produce than a 622 but I cannot seeing it being more than $50 cheaper to produce and probably not even that by the time you consider mass manufacturing. It sounds like this is a solution for those wanting HD on two televisions, 612 on one and 212 on the other instead of a wasted tv2 output that will not be used on a 612. They should have a receiver (standard and DVR versions) with dual HD tv outputs since this is the future of television instead of beating around the bush.

My situation is basically that I like having dual-tuner 622 in single mode on my main TV, and I would also like to have HD & DVR in bedroom. I only need single tuner in there. I have an old 811 in bedroom now, so I have HD, just would like to have DVR in there sometimes. Seemed like the 612 would have been good solution...a 622 would be overkill (and a bit expensive) for what I need in there, but I guess reading the last couple posts it probably wouldnt be any easier/cheaper to get from E* than a second 622 would be. Guess I hadn't thought that far ahead. :)

612 a new step forward

this receiver is a step forawd for dish. the single output with a dual tuner makes dish's dvr not only the best ranked dvr service in the country, but gives the customer an extra dedicated tuner always avialable for recording. which is the biggest complaint from former time warner and directv subcribers who have had this technology for sometime.as far as a rcvr with two hd outputs dont expect to see as with the available technology the 2nd tv would have to be within 25 feet to maintain its hd signal after being deencoded in the receiver. considering no comp cable can maintain the quality past that. dont expect to see it untill they can improve the wireless sling box technology.

You have things backward..

My situation is basically that I like having dual-tuner 622 in single mode on my main TV, and I would also like to have HD & DVR in bedroom. I only need single tuner in there. I have an old 811 in bedroom now, so I have HD, just would like to have DVR in there sometimes. Seemed like the 612 would have been good solution...a 622 would be overkill (and a bit expensive) for what I need in there, but I guess reading the last couple posts it probably wouldnt be any easier/cheaper to get from E* than a second 622 would be. Guess I hadn't thought that far ahead. :)

The 612 is a DUAL tuner DVR (as is the 622) with an output to one TV only. Not a single tuner DVR. The 622 has the capability of outputting to 2 TVs. This is the only difference between them.
Gerry

Bell ExpressVu is selling a "6141" model with a list price of $299 Canadian looks an awful lot like the 622 without the internal HD. PVR functions will be available with an external HD when they finally enable the external port.

They sharted installs/shipping roughly the beginning of January 2008.

So, the 612 is basically a 622 that's stuck and Single Mode and then they broke off the Mode Button. Shoot! I could have made those and re-labled them 612's... That would have saved Dish a few million...

Sometimes I wonder who makes these decisions.

So, the 612 is basically a 622 that's stuck and Single Mode and then they broke off the Mode Button. Shoot! I could have made those and re-labled them 612's... That would have saved Dish a few million...

Sometimes I wonder who makes these decisions.

that and u dont get charged the phone line fee (its a single room)

As far as output connections in the back, the 612 has the same outputs as the 622 except for the composite output for TV2. Oh, and they changed the label names on some of the outputs.

Attachments

• 622.jpg
    622.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 612.jpg
    612.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 175