Info on new Scenium DLP sets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stever1

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2004
Info on new Scenium DLP sets & HD-PVR's?

Has anyone seen the new Sceniums. I've enclosed a link, below, as well as a link to their Firewire HD-PVR, which looks intriguing. Perhaps a viable, and non-proprietary (at least not as far as a provider is concerned) alternative to a DISH PVR 921/942??

The new Scenium DLP's have an HDMI connector and 2 Firewire ports. They also sell an HD-PVR that connects to the Firewire port. I understand that you can feed the set through the HDMI connector and the set will output HD through the Firewire port to the HD-PVR. BTW, the set also has a high-speed Ethernet (NetConnect) port and a built in browser (IE, running on Windows CE).

Here's a link to the DLP set with Firewire "DTVLink" (Scenium model# HD44LPW165). This one is 44", and there's also a 50" and 61" model. It has a Digital Cable Ready tuner (with CableCard slot), as well as OTA (ATSC) tuner:
http://www.rca.com/product/viewdeta...700294,00.html?

Here's the link to the HD-DVR (Scenium model# DVR-10): http://www.rca.com/product/viewdeta...700335,00.html?

Soooo, would this be an alternative to a 921, or 942 for that matter. Seems like it might be the best of all worlds. It wouldn't matter where you're getting your HD content, OTA, CableCard, Dish, Voom, DirecTV, etc., you wouldn't need a specific content provider's proprietary DVR with this combo, would you? Or am I missing something? The promo material for the DVR (see 2nd link) lists this as a selling feature (i.e. the TV outputs HD content being sent to it, out to the DVR via DTVLink to be recorded for future viewing). Has anyone seen, or tried this hardware, and does it work as advertised? I would consider this as a viable alternative to getting locked into any one media vendor's hardware.

Any feedback from someone who has purchased one of these new sets (or actually seen one in operation) would be appreciated. Same goes (especially) for the HD-PVR option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)