info & questions on SA , BLSA and meters

Status
Please reply by conversation.
When you find the tone, tune the radio until the tone gets lower and lower in frequency...when the tone just disappears into silence, that is the symbol rate.
I can get the tone to go lower in frequency, but when I get to the bottom it is not silent silent. There is still the static noise, but the meter is still high.

The Noise Blocker on this radio has no effect on background noise.

So I am assuming that when the tone drops off to background noise and the meter is still high showing a signal, that is where the SR is.

Menu - 6 (installation) - 3 (Program Satellite) - 2 (Band) - use up and down arrows to change format...I have...

C
K24 GE FULL
K32 ANIK HALF
K16 GSTR FULL
K6 SPNT FULL
K14 SBS FULL
K19 SBS6 FULL
K25 GALX
K32 TELSTAR 4
K16 SOLIDAR
K28 TELSTAR 5

My Dealer Info is GI 450I (3) VER 2.24

My Satellite format choice is as above:
C
K32 GE Half
K16 GE Full
K32 Anik Full
K16 GSTAR Full
K6 Sprint Full
K14 SBS Full
K19 SBS6 Full
K26 Galx
K32 Telstar 4
K16 Solidar

My Dealer Info is GI 650I (2) VER 2.15

I have two 650is, one 550i, one 450i, and none of them have the upgraded firmware.

Unless someone can tell me where I can find the newer firmware, and then how to update the receiver, I'll just have to live with dis-appointment. :(

I searched for about an hour on Google, and never did come up with anything.

The best way to figure out the silencing sound is to try it on a known DVB-S signal.

Yes, I am practicing diligently on known signals. :eek:

Thanks!

Ive used the Sm2500, it does not tell you the SR, you must know it before hand.

imo get the previous model, the one without the spectrum, the SM2100 I think its called. the 2500's spectrum analyzer is so slow and the detail so poor its of no use at all as a spectrum analyzer. Ive got a satlook NIT and it does a good job, far from anything bench quality, but for the field it does very well.

We have extensively covered SR measurement by using a shortwave receiver in conjunction with the baseband video output of an analog satellite receiver. One concern that was given was the ability to accurately tune the analog receiver to the center frequency of the desired signal to be measured. As stated earlier in this thread I use a GI 450i analog receiver for this purpose as well as tuning the occasional analog satellite feed. Some analog receivers can't fine tune very far from the center frequency, and of course on KU band we have so many different bandplans that sometimes one has no idea what KU frequency they are tuned to. And another thing that is hard to do with the consumer analog receiver is to defeat the AFC so the receiver doesn't start wondering around looking for a signal to tune to. Some of the older commercial analog receivers were able to be directly tuned by thumbwheels on the front panel, and some of those things like AFC and AGC could be switched off. I wanted to find one where C and KU could be tuned with a single input, and be switched between bands from the front panel. There is a guy on eBay who has some Standard Agile IRD II's for sale that will fit the bill nicely for a really good price. I don't use my current analog receiver to move a dish, and since this unit is a 1u rack mount it will save me some room in the cabinet. I picked one of these up (at 30 bucks shipped) and thought others might be interested in one as well. They are also a great analog receiver for the couple of years we have left to see any analog feeds on satellite. Be advised that with commercial receivers the audio lines will need to be hard-wired as they output to a terminal strip in the back, and the video lines are F connectors as opposed to RCA's...just use an adapter. I'm just a consumer and have no dealings with the seller. The item number is 200275546891.

The toshiba trx-2220 works well for me. Let's me turn off agc and tune manually in 1mhz increments. I use my pcr-2500 in conjunction.

We have extensively covered SR measurement by using a shortwave receiver in conjunction with the baseband video output of an analog satellite receiver. One concern that was given was the ability to accurately tune the analog receiver to the center frequency of the desired signal to be measured. As stated earlier in this thread I use a GI 450i analog receiver for this purpose as well as tuning the occasional analog satellite feed. Some analog receivers can't fine tune very far from the center frequency, and of course on KU band we have so many different bandplans that sometimes one has no idea what KU frequency they are tuned to. And another thing that is hard to do with the consumer analog receiver is to defeat the AFC so the receiver doesn't start wondering around looking for a signal to tune to. Some of the older commercial analog receivers were able to be directly tuned by thumbwheels on the front panel, and some of those things like AFC and AGC could be switched off. I wanted to find one where C and KU could be tuned with a single input, and be switched between bands from the front panel. There is a guy on eBay who has some Standard Agile IRD II's for sale that will fit the bill nicely for a really good price. I don't use my current analog receiver to move a dish, and since this unit is a 1u rack mount it will save me some room in the cabinet. I picked one of these up (at 30 bucks shipped) and thought others might be interested in one as well. They are also a great analog receiver for the couple of years we have left to see any analog feeds on satellite. Be advised that with commercial receivers the audio lines will need to be hard-wired as they output to a terminal strip in the back, and the video lines are F connectors as opposed to RCA's...just use an adapter. I'm just a consumer and have no dealings with the seller. The item number is 200275546891.
I received the receiver today and it works great. It has the best analog picture I have ever seen, and I have seen a gajillion analog receivers. It's probably because of the 30 Mhz video bandwidth where most consumer receivers are 25-27 Mhz.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)