Infrequently used receiver problems

tsummerall

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I have a receiver in the guest room (an old 300 series - no dvr) and it only gets used every few months. Almost every single time I'm about to have guests and I go back to check on it I get the "Congratulations you have Dish 500!" channel and the receiver will only tune to the free channels.

In the past I have generally had to call Dish to get it functioning again. Is there any way to avoid this?

Set up an Autotune timer for say, channel 101 at like 5 AM every day. That way the receiver will be in the 'stream' every day.

Are you removing power from the receiver in question (or disconnecting the SAT line for some reason) when it is not in use? This is the only reason I can see it losing it's activation every single time. If so, the solution is to leave it plugged in with power applied, and the SAT line connected at all times. The Smart card is automatically de-activated if the receiver receives no communication from dish for over a week.

Are you removing power from the receiver in question (or disconnecting the SAT line for some reason) when it is not in use? This is the only reason I can see it losing it's activation every single time. If so, the solution is to leave it plugged in with power applied, and the SAT line connected at all times. The Smart card is automatically de-activated if the receiver receives no communication from dish for over a week.

I've had customers have this same issue, especially in a room like a guest bedroom where the rec is hardly used. Seems that the new software treats a rec that isn't used just like one that is unplugged from power. The solution in the second post is what I do when I install a rec in a room that won't be used much......just set the auto-tune feature and the problem goes away.

Leave it plugged in and you won't have this issue.

Or you'll just have to deal with calling the tech support automated system and asking the system for the rehit.

No, even receivers that are plugged in will lose programming if they stay in stand-by mode for weeks at a time.

I have come across this many times.

No, even receivers that are plugged in will lose programming if they stay in stand-by mode for weeks at a time.

I have come across this many times.

true. I had the same problem over the winter with the receiver I use on my deck but never unplugged it once. Since I'm not into sitting outside in the snow, it would go for months without being turned on but always had power to it. Did the auto tune last fall, and didn't have any problems at all since. try it, it will work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)