Initial reaction on Sling Adapter

Can the stand alone player and the Dish sling player both be on your system at the same time?
Yes, but the standalone player doesn't do much. In particular, it won't do HD, and it won't play back your recordings. (At least it won't on my Sling Adapter.)

The stand alone Sling box is GREAT. I have used them several years with NO PROBLEM. The sling on my 922 has worked a max of two hours in 6 months. I say SAVE YOUR MONEY ON THE 922! I wish I had. For me the 922 has been a joke and a big rip off and far as the sling goes. I just dont understand how the stand alone can work like a charm and the 922 sling has been junk for me since day one. And the big let know is if it doesn't work,, to bad for you, not their problem!

we are talking about software not hardware.

The standalone player is not available for the sling adapter, right? No wonder why Dish is giving these things away (after rebate card). They don't work right. Seems like when Dish Network got control of some sort of Sling device then it does not work. I sure hope they get the bugs worked out. They sure flaunt TV Everywhere and pretty confident in it but they really need to fix the problems if they see a future in it.

The sling adapter is not supported by the stand alone player, and will not currently work with the 2.0.4 and above versions. I found a copy of 2.0.3.x and it works .. but as TheKrell points out, it won't let you play your DVR items ... Its just another way to get access .. that *if* they wanted to .. they could very easily support the sling adapter.

As to HD ... the Stand Alone player allows you to choose an input ... 3 of them are listed for the sling adapter ... the guess is that one is supposed to be HD, the other is the "Better" setting and the last is Composite. I'm not sure how I got it to do so, but I'm in the "better" mode setting.. it could also be that its picking up the previous (webslingplayer) setting for quality and going from there.

ALSO as a final note ... Just found out that 722k's have L686 out and within the update is something for the Sling Adapter .. so perhaps what ever its there, may modify how the adapters are working, and resolve some of the problems.. (fearing not, but hoping so)

update notes: http://www.dishsupport.com/dish-net...s/10932-software-release-notes-week-07-a.html

TG2, How can I get a copy of the stand alone player that you mentioned works with the sling adapter. Since i can't get the Dish sling to work with my desktop computer, I might as well try the stand alone player.

I hope L686 resolves my sling adapter problem, but as you said...probably not.

TG2, How can I get a copy of the stand alone player that you mentioned works with the sling adapter. Since i can't get the Dish sling to work with my desktop computer, I might as well try the stand alone player.

I hope L686 resolves my sling adapter problem, but as you said...probably not.
PM with link sent! Remember this will only play live TV ... its not a full fledged stand alone because Sling won't support the additional features needed to start playback of DVR items. its my understanding a real sling box would have an IR blaster feature that sends commands out so that the IR would pick them up on the dish box.. and since the sling adapter isn't the box.. it doesn't have that feature.. but it *could* have had internal processing since that's how the websling does it.. good ol' sling media.. :)

PM with link sent! Remember this will only play live TV ... its not a full fledged stand alone because Sling won't support the additional features needed to start playback of DVR items. its my understanding a real sling box would have an IR blaster feature that sends commands out so that the IR would pick them up on the dish box.. and since the sling adapter isn't the box.. it doesn't have that feature.. but it *could* have had internal processing since that's how the websling does it.. good ol' sling media.. :)

Maybe I misunderstand you. My Sling Adapter will play back anything on my dvr. I've programmed the dvr from the Sling adapter to record ota channels from the TV! tuner and then watched them on playback through through DOL or DRA.

Maybe I misunderstand you. My Sling Adapter will play back anything on my dvr. I've programmed the dvr from the Sling adapter to record ota channels from the TV! tuner and then watched them on playback through through DOL or DRA.
Yes.. we're talking about an older version of Sling Media's Stand Alone Sling Player application for windows.

Because the stand alone application was never designed with the command structure needed to operate the DVR functions (this case "dvr" button twice, arrow up/down and select to open a recorded dvr event, "play" starts said selected DVR'd event) it doesn't have a command set that works across the Sling *Adapter*.

Sling Boxes (stand alone & externally connected box) have an IR blaster feature ... which sends IR signals outward as if they were your remote control. These IR commands would then activate the additional features of a Dish Receiver ... or if you've a pro slingbox with multiple connections, you program in, for your Dish Receiver, a Bluray, and maybe a DVD player.. so... the commands get sent through the box to the IR Blaster ... read by the receiving box, and take the appropriate action..

As you have a working Sling Adapter ... glad to hear it.. I do too ... but others don't.. also.. have you tried access Dish Online .. while at your TV1 location.. and tried playing any DVR event ... to see if it also starts playing ton TV1? :)

Yes.. we're talking about an older version of Sling Media's Stand Alone Sling Player application for windows.

Because the stand alone application was never designed with the command structure needed to operate the DVR functions (this case "dvr" button twice, arrow up/down and select to open a recorded dvr event, "play" starts said selected DVR'd event) it doesn't have a command set that works across the Sling *Adapter*.

Sling Boxes (stand alone & externally connected box) have an IR blaster feature ... which sends IR signals outward as if they were your remote control. These IR commands would then activate the additional features of a Dish Receiver ... or if you've a pro slingbox with multiple connections, you program in, for your Dish Receiver, a Bluray, and maybe a DVD player.. so... the commands get sent through the box to the IR Blaster ... read by the receiving box, and take the appropriate action..

As you have a working Sling Adapter ... glad to hear it.. I do too ... but others don't.. also.. have you tried access Dish Online .. while at your TV1 location.. and tried playing any DVR event ... to see if it also starts playing ton TV1? :)

mine doesn't do the TV1 play thing!!!! How do I get that undocumented feature!!! :p

more grist for the mill... one ofthe folks that can't connect to their on sling adapted receiver. can connect to another persons that is not in their house. i mean person A in Florida can connect to person B in Alabama.

But person A can't connect to Person A in their own house. this is getting very weird. i wonder if person B should try to connect to person A??

more grist for the mill... one ofthe folks that can't connect to their on sling adapted receiver. can connect to another persons that is not in their house. i mean person A in Florida can connect to person B in Alabama.

But person A can't connect to Person A in their own house. this is getting very weird. i wonder if person B should try to connect to person A??
a to b and b to a will work just fine .... a to a doesn't.. either the response the app needs isn't coming (doesn't hear it, or hears it and its mangled), or its being told not to allow inside lan to work

The L686 update is out for 722k's ... and one of the fixes is supposed to include an update for sling adapters.. who knows what it really is.. obviously not the people that need to know inside or outside dish (Dish IRT doesn't have any more info then that yet)

Well...I have just tried the stand alone sling player and I get the same type of error that I got with the Dish player. The stand alone player can not connect to my sling adapter (error code is 0x92340011). So I guess whatever problem is preventing the Dish player from working on my internal network is also preventing the Sling player from working on my system.

I tried a little experiment today. I disconnected the wireless connection to my computer and hard-wired it to my router. My 722/sling adapter is already hard-wired. I even turned off all virus protection and the firewall. I still get the dreaded error 36 (dishonline) or error 2 (remote access). Hopefully, the new firmware for the 722 will have some effect. (LOL)

lotusguy, That is the same thing that I tried...same result. I also tried connecting the 722k and my desktop computer to a switch (wired) and then connecting the switch to my router (wired). That did not work either, which is strange because the 722k and my desktop could communicate directly across the switch bypassing the router... and I still got the same errors that you do.

Well...I have just tried the stand alone sling player and I get the same type of error that I got with the Dish player. The stand alone player can not connect to my sling adapter (error code is 0x92340011). So I guess whatever problem is preventing the Dish player from working on my internal network is also preventing the Sling player from working on my system.
[ 0x92340011 ] The operation failed because it was taking too long to finish.
Basically means it timed out waiting for the right info ...
you could try modifying your MTU see if lowering it helps..
XP
Change the Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU) Size at Registry Guide for Windows
Vista/7
PChucks Network: Setting The MTU In Windows Vista

supposedly you could try pinging the ip of your receiver with different ping sized packets to see if its failing due to size already
ping receiver_ip -f -l 1472 (thats an L)

and drop it by 10 if it fails.. if you find that's happening (packet loss) then use one of the above for changing the MTU to a lower setting.. (don't forget to reboot after, and check again to see the size is the setting you specify)

Last edited:
mine doesn't do the TV1 play thing!!!! How do I get that undocumented feature!!! :p

oops! turns out mine already does this. wife just figured it was 'normal' since our equipment is prone to weird things happening 'on purpose...'

and apparently, the buffering stops when the dvr event starts playing. POOP!!

[ 0x92340011 ] The operation failed because it was taking too long to finish.
Basically means it timed out waiting for the right info ...
you could try modifying your MTU see if lowering it helps..

I already tried that last week when trying to troubleshoot my problem. I have DSL and my MTU is set to 1492 in both my router and my modem. I tried the ping test last week and it says there is no fragmentation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)