Inline amp question

BarneyBean

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 26, 2007
Just connected a Radio Shack omnidirectional antenna and overall I am pleased with the results. I get my locals except for WYTV the ABC afilliate which is only 9 miles from my house. I do pick up a cleveland ABC station which is over 50 miles from my house (go figure). The question I have is it comes with a "power injector" which makes a big difference when I plug it in but is there any other after market amplifiers which would work better or can you add another in line amp along with the original that came with it.

With the power injector, how much signal strength does your receiver show on digital stations? Generally, you don't want to over-drive or "saturate" your receiver with signals that are too strong. Over-amplification of the inputs to your receiver can lead to saturation of the receiver and a pixelized picture or "no signal" displayed on the receiver.

Thanks for yor reply, anyway without the booster I'll get about 6 channels with it I get 19. The strongest is about 90 percent while the weakest is about 10-20 percent it waivers between the two. If I could just pick up another 10 to 20 percent that would be perfect. I'm not rulling out getting a different antenna or even going to a rotor but I would like to do that last. The channel that is at 10-20 percent pixelates at times.

Omnidirectional antennas tend to have lower gain than directional antennas. Is your archer antenna an outdoor antenna? If so, you may not get any better gain with what you have. My guess is if you try to gain that extra percentage on that weak channel, you'll end up overdriving the other channels and then you'll have problems with them.

No the archer is indoors the one I have now is on the roof approx. 30 feet off the ground. I did read that having a booster or anplifier is better the closer you are to the antenna, on this one if connects right at the box inside the house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts