inline signal amplifier?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I added an inline signal amplifier to my ku system but I don't remember the increase in dB it advertised. I bought it from Amaz*n. I tested it inline close to the receiver and saw little difference. I finally inserted it close to the dish as per instructions. It's still there, but I can't tell you that it makes much difference.

I have the exact same thing, it didnt increase the signal at all.

But I replaced the coax to the LNB with RG-11 though, not as lossy as RG-6

Hey guys, you gotta remember that an amplifyer can only "push" a good signal, it cannot "pull" a bad signal... If your LNB is only picking up a weak signal, an amp is only amplifying a bad signal. As FaT Air was implying, it should only be used to push a clean signal from the LNB to overcome a big splitter or a long (good quality) coaxial run. A 20db eBay special would have me a little suspicious. Do you really need something bigger than a 10db? Just think about a few of these signal losses; 4 port splitter = 7.5db, 100' of RG6 @ 1ghz = 6db. Too hot of a signal will cause a grainy image and audio cut-outs.

Big factor when using in-line amps to drive a long cable run is their saturation/compression level.(That specification is more important than just db gain alone) Are you going to be driving it beyond it's limit in signal level? This can cause more problems than originally experienced. I've removed more amps**, installed by others, than I have installed*** because of overload and the resulting problems it produced.
**cheap "no name" or store brands ***Channel Master, Winegard, Jerrold, PTC.
In OTA antennas, a good quality PRE-Amplifier can be the difference from marginal to rock solid on weak signals. But here again, Overload specification is important. A strong signal, along with the weak, could push the amplifier into saturation, distorting and wreaking havoc on all the signals.
For satellite reception, if it's weaker signals that are desired, the only solution that works is a larger dish.

I have used an amplifier and I have a long cable run. Yes it boosts the signal. However there is no viewable advantage on the screen. The weaker signal is just as viewable as the stronger signal. If there is not enough signal to make a picture viewable, the amplifier can not improve something that does not exist.

Sort of touched on above but in practical terms even for what you might call see as a "good" signal an online amp boosts both the desired part of the signal but also boosts "noise". So you may end up with higher STB meter values with an amp but net net could have a poorer result rendered on the screen. Perhaps an amp will help with a clean signal but I like the idea suggested that for most sat users better to go with a bigger dish or perhaps minimize your cable run or invest in higher quality (lower overhead) components.

Good information, thanks to everyone for your replies.

Sort of touched on above but in practical terms even for what you might call see as a "good" signal an online amp boosts both the desired part of the signal but also boosts "noise". So you may end up with higher STB meter values with an amp but net net could have a poorer result rendered on the screen. Perhaps an amp will help with a clean signal but I like the idea suggested that for most sat users better to go with a bigger dish or perhaps minimize your cable run or invest in higher quality (lower overhead) components.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts