input for antenna & receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

coolfta

Original poster
May 8, 2007
Hi,
this is a wonderful forum and I have read some of the posts and learnt a bit about fta. But I am very new to fta world and would like to get some help pls.

1.) Can i use a dish network / direct tv antenna to receive fta signal (ofcourse with appropriate fta receiver)? I live in IL 10 miles south of WI border. also do i get either C or Ku band or both?

2.) what is a decent fta receiver that can purchased with less than $200? I was looking at VIEWSAT VS2000 Xtreme. any comment on this?

thanks again for ur help.

Here's what you can get with the small DirecTV and Dish Network dishes:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=34131

For anything else, you need a 30 inch or larger dish for Ku band and a 6 foot or larger dish for C band.

If you intend to use a motor to hit all of the satellites visible to you, a Viewsat receiver is not recommended. They do not work well with motors. For under $200, good choices are the Pansat 3500, Coolsat 5000, and Fortec Mercury II.

I've had the Viewsat Ultra for about a month and haven't had any problems controlling an SG2100. Personally, for the extra $20 or so, I'd choose the Ultra over the Xtreme. (still easily under your $200 limit)

thanks for your reply. Now any recommendation for a decent antenna? yeah would like a motorized one if it does not cost arms and legs. any 30" or 36" antenna supports both ku band and c band?

thanks again for your help.

reality check

any 30" or 36" antenna supports both ku band and c band?
From extensive reading of the forum, I'd have to say 30" for Ku band FTA is the minimum.
36" is a good general purpose size.
Beyond 4' is probably unnecessary except in rare instances.
Anything over 3' gets expensive to ship.

As for C band, there were a lot of discussions and experiments over the last couple of years here on the forum with small dishes.
Some members got a few signals on C band with 4' dishes.
When all the dust settled, I think the consensus was that 6' would get you quite a lot of the programming, but 4' would get you hardly any.
And if you are really serious, maybe 8' would be a better choice.

oops, I just noticed the question had already been answered:
For anything else, you need a 30 inch or larger dish for Ku band and a 6 foot or larger dish for C band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)