Inserting surveillance camera feed into system

WakeBdr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 27, 2004
Cumming, GA
I'm in the process of re-wiring my house so I can get Dish installed to all of my tv's (4). I'm running 2 RG-6 and 2 Cat5 (data and voice) from my wiring closet to each wall plate. I plan on doing this to each location that I could possibly put a tv (6 possible locations).

First question: Is the re-wiring I'm doing sufficient?

Second question: I plan on installing a video surveillance system in the baby room and possibly the back yard as well. I've seen systems that advertise the ability to insert the camera's feed directly into the cable system so it can be seen on any tv in the house. Will this be possible with my setup and if so, where do I insert the feed since each tv has its own run from the dish?

Thanks

btw...I've learned an awful lot about satellite technology since I've been visiting these forums. Thanks to everyone.

Well, some here may not agree with the way I would do it, but here's what I would recommend:

ANYWHERE you think you will actually install a DBS receiver, you really should have a MINIMUM of 4 coax runs! I know it sounds like overkill, but when you try to do things like hook up dual tuner receivers, backfeed a receiver to the rest of the house, maybe place an HD receiver on the same TV (which will require it's own run) or even a run for an off-air or cable feed, you'll be SO glad you did. Some people say you can get by with diplexors, but they can be a pain in the ass & they will cost you MORE than if you just ran the extra coax NOW. Coax cable is cheap & the labor is the same whether you are pulling 1 or 6 cables - actually, even 6 cables would not be all that much. ALL cable should be homerun to a central location. (like your basement or garage, etc.) It's a LOT cheaper to overwire now than wish later you DID!

Here's an example of what 6 cables might be used for, just even at this juncture:
- 2 sat feeds for a dual tuner receiver/DVR
- 1 feed to backfeed the receiver to the rest of the house
- 1 feed for an off-air or cable feed (particulary if you are getting an HD box on the same set, which is not unheard of)
- 1 sat feed for the HD box itself
You then have only 1 spare left - see how fast they got used...

As far as "secondary" locations, like the kitchen, kids bedrooms, etc, 2 or 3 coax runs should be enough. (some people DO give there kids their own DVR box...) If it's something like a laundry room or bath (doesn't EVERYONE have a TV in those places :D :D ) a single one would obviously suffice.

As far as the surveillance, it depends on the type of cameras you use as to the kind of wiring you need. If it's video only, most I've seen use a coax & single pair of wires for power. You'd run these to your central point as well, where you then would run them into a whole-modulator, which then puts it on a blank channel, is then combined with modulated outputs from your DBS receivers (one of reasons for the extra coax to those locations...) & perhaps an off-air or cable feed, & is then sent throughout the entire house to all sets.

Just to give you an example, I have full analog cable which goes up to 78, with FIVE modulated sources (3 DVR's, 1 standard receiver & a VCR) which are on even ch's 86-94 - all of this goes to EVERY TV in my house.

I think I'm beginning to understand this. Let's say I have a DVD player at one tv location. To see this on all tv's in the house, I need to take the output of the DVD player to my wiring closet and then put it through "something" that will put it into all feeds?

It looks like anything that I want to see on any tv, needs to be brought back to my wiring closet. But, how do I insert it into the feed going to each tv? Do I use some sort of modulator or something?

Also, what is backfeed used for? I think I need to run 3 coax's to each tv location now instead of two. Two for the dual tuner receiver and one for backfeed. I don't plan on getting HD for quite some time and when (if) I finally do, it will only be to one room.

You may want to use UTP (twisted pair) for the standard line level cameras. This will allow you to send the camera signal down to the headend via one of the four twisted pairs in your CAT5. When you get the signal down to the headend you will most likely need a trap to open up three consecutive channels from you cable system for each camera signal (you need a clear channel on each side of your camera signal). then you can modulate the camera signal to a chosen channel number for whole house distribution.

My wiring and dish install is done now and I'm ready to concentrate on getting the video surveillance in the picture now. I need to know what equipment I will need to get to be able to view the video surveillance feed on any tv in the house. I've read things about RF modulators, but all of them reference a cable system, not a satellite system, so they don't specify how to feed a satellite system that essentially has 4 separate inputs.

Here is a link to a Visio drawing of my wiring. It is not complete yet because it only has my satellite system in it and none of my ethernet network. But, there is a cat5 line run to every location there is a tv so that is accessible for this project as well if needed. Also, the wiring in Room 5 does not exist yet. I just put it in there as a placeholder.

Oh yeah, those funky looking things are diplexors.

Thanks in advance

Visio of Wiring

You will need to get your camera signal from the camera to the RF side of your diplexers. If you do not have RG59 between those locations then use the equipment I have mentioned above to send the signal via Cat5 (RG6 may work if the run is not too long but most RG6 is only copper clad rather than solid copper). If you want to send one of your Sat signals to the whole house then you should get the camera signal up to that satellite receiver. Then get a 2 channel modulator with the camera going into imput 1 and the satellite into input 2. You will then need to send the complete modulated signal back down to the headend for connection (via a 2nd RG59 or RG6) to your distribution amp.

I would like to keep the satellite just as it is shown in the diagram. Currently I have four independent tv's and would just like to view the video camera feed on any of those tv's. I guess my question is what equipment do I need to insert the signal into the existing wiring and how would I do it. I've been looking at the modulators at www.smarthome.com and am thinking I need something like that.

Modulate The Camera Signal Prior To The Diplexer (rf In) I Assume If You Have A Diplexer You Also Have An Outdoor Antenna, If So The Modulated Signal Would Go Into The Same Diplexer Input As The Antenna.

Well You have a enough cable to do what you need running to all rooms.
What I would in simple and least expensive way is this..

Install the Camera on Port 5L modulate to CH 3 and send it to the down to the closet.
Use x ways of spliter to how many room want to monitor the baby.

Then use diplexor on 1R to insert the Camera then break out with another diplextor at IRD location and input the Camera on ANT input of the 522. When you turn the 522 off camera should show up on CH3 of the TV.

Do the same for Room 2 where you have the 322. should work the same as other one.

For the two other room that feeding off 522's and 322's you will need to get 2 SC3 Channel combiners to get it to work.

Other leaders of the spliter you will install a SC3 module on each, both connected to CH3. then Connect the TV2 out put of 322 and 522 to ANT in of the SC3 then connect the out put to where the TV2's .

On those TV's goto CH60 to watch Dishnet, change tv to Ch3 to watch the baby.

That's my free advice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts