install and upgrade

sailcofc

Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
I have a dish 500 with a 508 receiver. I want to upgrade this to the 921. I also want to move or make a new account with the old receiver in another home. My question is:

Do I call dish and get them to install the dish and necessary switches/splitters in the new house and keep the most basic programming for the least amount of time (since I do not believe I will be in the "new" house for no longer than 6-7 months) or do I purchase a dish for the new house and hook up the receiver, then purchase the 921 and necessary equipment for the upgraded house.

I do not know what equipment I need to upgrade from the 508 to 921 and to set up the new house, so I believe the first option is the best and least expensive. I also can not find rates for yearly packages so I can not compare the two options.

Thank you

I'm not sure what boba said is the right solution.

You may ALREADY have what's needed to hook the 921 up in the existing house (I think that's what you want to do).

A Twin LNBF is all that's needed for the basic stuff including HD. A Twin (or Quad) is the wide unit with 2 eyes as opposed to 2 separate units with one eye each.

At this time, no one out here knows what E*s plans for HD are - whether a SuperDish will be needed, or if a simple wing dish will do the job.

As for the new house, maybe DishMover is the right answer - to get a D500 with Twin LNBF installed at the new place. There's a couple of ways to get that for free. Club Dish comes to mind, and/or maybe one year commitment with CC AutoPay. I jsut don't remember offhand.

Thanks for the info. I will give dish a call and see what they say. I think that dishmover would not be good because I want to keep everything in the first house intact and just have a temporary dish at the new house with minimal cost. Because I want to upgrade the first house I thought that it might be cheaper to sign up the second house for the equipment.

Thanks again - I will let you all know what I find out. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Sorry for the delay. I finally called Dishnetwork and they told me that the new house with the 921 will be $599 including install. Using Club Dish will give me a $5 credit/mo. on the old house account and a $50 rebate on the new account. I will have to use a different name on the new account to take advantage of this deal.

They did say that if I went through a retailer I could take advantage of the "Free Dish Promo" which would get me the 921 for $249, and then with club dish I would get $49 back for the install and $49 credit on my first bill. (If the Dish person described it correctly) Of course I would have to keep the dish programming for a year, but I would also have the necessary equipment and dish at the end of it all. I think AT60 yearly is $275, which would make the whole thing $425 minus the $60 on the other account. I could probably put the equipment on Ebay and get something for the second dish since I would not need it anymore.

I think that she also said when I took the 921 off the new account I would not have to get the HD pack anymore -- It is $9.99/mo, but you get the first 6 months for free. So, if I had to keep it for the year it would only be another $60 -- so I am back to $425.

Still less than the $549 for the box outright and then having to get the equipment to run the second house for 6 months (and programming).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)