Color Fade with Superdish TypeII

Greengo

Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
In The Hills Of W.Va.
Had Superdish installed in September to get locals. Replaces Dish 500. Now to the problem. I am getting color fade on both my TV,s. It occurs over a 12 to 24 hour period. It works in blocks of channels. I have a 510 and a 311 receiver. The problem is on both sets at the same time. I have had tech,s out 5 times so far. The problem is getting worse. They have replaced the DP34 twice. The lnb set. Everone has changed wire and ends. The dish has been tuned everytime. 105- 76 on transponder 7. 99 to 114 on transponder 11 and 12 on 119 and 110. 311 receiver new in March. 510 one year old. Have had TV sets checked, OK. Color good with DVD & VCR. Most tech,s say they can't see problem. I am at the end of my rope. PLEASE HELP!!!

Superdish will do nothing to color. If you were watching an analog satellite, it could, but a dish will do zero to a signal other than give enought signal to decode it or not. If not enought, you get breakup (pixels) or black. With analog you start with grass or snow until it is all snow. The pixelation carries the correct pix info in the blocks that are decoded.. there is no level or degrad in those blocks.. the other blocks are nothingn useable.

Something else changed in the receiver (where the digital is decoded) to your tv, where the signal is displayed.

a 1 is a 1 and a 0 is a 0 in digital.

Wiring. I bet it's not swept to 2250MHz, or you have a barrell that's not swept somewhere causing it.

I think the rcvr's not recieving enough frequency.

bcshields said:
Wiring. I bet it's not swept to 2250MHz, or you have a barrell that's not swept somewhere causing it.

All that was tested. Is there anything else to try? I am watching a movie at present that looks corpse's are the actors. This happens on live shows to.

How are the receivers connected to the TVs? RF, Composite, S-Video?

What about this?

How far (distance wise) is the coax being run? If the coax is a long distance i.e. from the superdish to the tv's that could be the problem if over 150 feet. My father had a similar situation as you are describing. He had the tech's out such as you, and he had a faulty coax line. Yes, it did send signal, but over distance the signal degrades and the receivers could not decode the signal properly. Something to think about. If the coax lines are relatively short, it could be a decoding issue with the receivers. Just a thought.

bcshields said:

That will NOT affect color. It can cause no deconding or breakup, but not color. Color has to happen in the receiver, tv or prior to being uplinked. Now, at the same time the dish was installed, Dish Network could have increased compression which will decrease color/resolution Even a greater error code from a poor signal won't affect color.

For signal to affect freqency response of video, it has to be in the analog world and it simply does not hit that from the time of uplink to the time it hits a receiver.

Everyone has given me good input. I have several things to try. A service manager from Dish Network is susposted to come to my house this Saturday. The answers are all good. I still don't know what the heck to do to cure my problem. I am disabled and don't have the funds to do major corrections. Any more input would still be a great help. I thank you.

Greengo in the hills of WV

One thing to help clarify this. The satellite signal going to the receiver is digital, not analog. As Barry said, color cannot be affected. You'll either get total signal loss, or pixelation/dropouts. A washed out picture can only be caused by something from the receiver or cabling to the tv, or the tv itself.

Just to nail the coffin shut - what Barry and AJ said.

I can't believe they replaced all the satellite-side gear. Well, actually, I can - most installers are clueless about how this stuff actually works.

Time to play with the receiver outputs to TVs - swapping stuff around, rebooting boxes, etc.

Note that there ARE some reports of color loss on some receivers. Sorry, I don't remember the details.

Again, thanks guys. This weekend I will try to get my receivers swaped out and see what happens. I was an installer of c-band systems for six years, and I am still learning about this type of system. I had a stroke and had to quite working. This web site and your input are a great help. I like to keep learning. Thank you!!! I will let you know what happens.

Greengo, (an old guy still learning).

Greengo said:
Hi Guys. I still have my problem. The Dish Network people failed to show this weekend. I am out of soultions. HELP!!
Call Dish and swap the boxes out. Good Luck! However I would put my money on a connection issue between recievers and the tv's.

ByrdWatcher said:
Call Dish and swap the boxes out. Good Luck! However I would put my money on a connection issue between recievers and the tv's.

People from Dish are to come out to my house. (Sixth Time). (I will beleive it when they get here). I have checked all connectors between receivers and tv. I have also replaced them all. It was worth a try but no luck. Thanks anyhow.

A guy from Dish Network was out today. Could not see my problem. I was told that I could go back to my Dish 500 system that I had no problems with. I like the Super Dish, but the color is still crappy. So far they will not replace the receivers. The problem is there. (REALLY!!!)

First, let me say this may NOT be your problem. I am just telling how people can see color.

I have been in TV Broadcasting Engineering for more than 40 years and have seen countless times when no two people see color the same. In fact, 100% of the time no two people see the same color. If a professional monitor is set up with calibrated stuff, for a standard starting point, and you ask people to adjust the monitor to their likeing, never have I seen two people adjust it the same.

But many things can change the persons perspective of color. I constantly have people look at things and ask that cameras be adjusted in the morning and we tell them to come back in the afternoon.. We have made no adjustment, but now it is after lunch. There are more sugars or carbo's in their system and the color is now ok.
Diets can change how a person sees color.
ambient light can change it.
Surrounding color can change it.
The mind can change it.
Many things can change the perception of it.

Now, like I said , this perception may not be your problem. But if it changes with the dish being changed, you can bet it is perception. The signal from a digital dish to its IRD will NOT change color.

I joined this site to get help. The last 2 post were insulting to me. THERE IS A PROBLEM!! I am not the only person in my household. Everyone at my home see's the same thing. I thinking I have come to the right place for help have not found it.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)