Install Friday - questions on wiring/install- help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rcans2

Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Washington state
Ordered Genie and 2 C31 (clients) for three rooms. I would like to have wiring ran in the attic instead of outside house.
1) How many cables come from the disk and where does each cable need to go to connect to the Genie and the two clients. I am not sure who many cables go where?

2) Two TV’s are located more in the center of the house and need to have wire "fished" down walls. I was planning on running tubes (actually pex tubing) down two interior walls where cables could easily be fed to connect to the Genie in one room and client in another. Would installer allow time for me and a friend to fish cable down wall and work in attic?

3) I have an existing antenna on one end of the house where it is easy to get to cables and room to work on, but the disk may not be able to be located there because there is a hill behind my place on that end. Placing the disk on the other end of my house would probably work better for satellite reception, but wiring in attic would be difficult (heating ducts, insulation, etc.). If the DirecTV installer and I can't agree on location of disk and wiring of system unless I prewired in attic space and fish wires ahead of time, would they charge for a 2nd visit?

Last edited:
get the wire and pre-run anything thats non standard
id go with anything from the multi-switch location, to the tv

if you have it all ready it will go better
they do not have alot of time alotted to be waiting on things

Could you expand and be more specific on wiring? I am not sure what a multiswitching unit looks like or does ( looks kind of like splitter with inputs and outputs?) and where it should go. I really need specifics starting from disk down to genie/clients. Going back to my original post - how many wires from disk and where should they go to get to the genie/client. Sounds like a multi-swiching unit needs to go in the run somewhere. Thanks for any help.

I have 2tv' at one end of the house and one tv at the other. The end that has one tv would house the Genie. I would like the disk to go on end of house with the two tv's but may have to go on the other end of the house with the one tv (where Genie is also located).

Last edited:
1 cable from the LNB to the splitter
1 cable from the splitter to each receiver

The splitter can be placed anywhere in line so if you run the cables you need to one spot (known as a home run spot) the installer can hook everything up.

Does any AC power need to be supplied in the wiring like for exampe to the multiswiching unit?

the power inserter can go inline in the setup. So as example my splitter was in my basement in the drop ceiling. The Power inserter was in the master bedroom (hooked in line with that receiver)

No power is needed where the splitter is

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts