Install next week -- some install q's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

feralcat

Original poster
Dec 14, 2004
Hi folks - asked this question in another forum, but it's probably more appropriate here.

I'm a new D* customer, and my install is scheduled next week. Prior to the install, I want to make sure I have my ducks in the proverbial row, and know what I'm getting into.

Currently I live in a 2-story house. My current provider is E*. I have 1 TV upstairs with a 612 stb and 1 tv downstairs, with no STB.

Question 1:
I have ordered two STB's with this install - the HD/DVR for the first floor, and HD STB for the 2nd floor. Based on what I've read, these will require more than *one* coax connection in the wall. How does this work? Does the tech not use my existing in-home wiring? It's included in the "free installation" to run RG-6 in my house, to new wallplates on interior walls where my TV's are located, on both floors?

Question 2: the E* install was never grounded, AFAICT. Is it reasonable to insist that the new install be grounded?

Thx!

Free installation is the same as a basic installation. Basic installation includes 125' of cable and cable penetrations from the outside wall, floor and attic. Wall fish are extra. Basically, its whatever is easiest.

If you are wanting an interior wall fished on the first floor and you do not have a crawl space, you might be out of luck. You will require 3 homerun cables (2 for the HDDVR and 1 for the HD) to the dish.

Grounding is mandatory. No If's, and's or but's.

I think it's up to the installer whether or not to use existing cabling, but I could be wrong. You can certainly ask them to use it if possible.

The HD-DVR can be run from a single wire, but that removes the capability to record two channels at once. We have a single cable on our bedroom DVRs, but two cables to the living room and family room. There is a single wire option being tested in some markets, so you could get lucky in that respect.

And the free installation would not include interior wall installation. The installer would charge extra, if they will do it at all (might not have necessary equipment). I paid an extra $100 for two internal wall installations - that price was charged by the installer himself (not DirecTV).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure installations are required to be grounded.

Thx all -- this is making a bit more sense. How many cables will come out of the satellite dish (5lnb?) These will go to a {something}, but not directly to my TV's?

If my TV were against an exterior wall, can I expect a finished wall plate with 2 female coax inputs? (for the HD/DVR).

Thx

There is a four output multiswitch in the satellite dish LNB assembly. Each output will feed one tuner (you'll have three). If you have a choice, all four cables should be brought down from the roof and bundled together so that you have the option of installing an standalone switch for five or more tuners.

As the DIRECTV receivers don't have RF modulators, you won't be able to watch recorded content on the second floor as you may have done with the ViP612.

Thx Harshness....I guess I don't yet understand the concept of a 'switch' or multiswitch. Each output is like a dedicated tuner? Are there any power requirements -- do I need an AC outlet somewhere?

So there 4 outputs (for 4 tuners) in the LNB. Two will go to the HD-DVR, and one will go the HD stb? But you're suggesting I ask for the fourth cable to also be brought down for future use (and I assume just left disconnected somewhere in my crawlspace?).

I hadn't even thought about trying to see DVR'd content in the 2nd floor, which was why I'd ordered the 2nd STB. But now it occurs to me -- I don't see needing to watch different content, period, both upstairs and downstairs concurrently....Maybe I could get by with just the single HD-DVR receiver downstairs, or will I still have the issue with no remote control?

And I assume I'd still have connectivity issues making sure the upstairs TV can connect to the HD-DVR downstairs.

If you are wanting to go with one receiver, you will need to figure out how you are going to connect the upstairs TV to the downstairs receiver. You can always go with a RF remote, but that costs extra. You would need a really long HDMI or composite cable running from the upstairs TV to the downstairs receiver.

If you have a crawlspace, you could have the cable run up through the floor into your interrior wall ... if you want it in the wall, you can pay him or do it yourself.

As for a wall outlet, its a crap shoot. I don't carry them anymore as everyone expects them for free.

If my TV were against an exterior wall, can I expect a finished wall plate with 2 female coax inputs? (for the HD/DVR).
Typically, there is a plate with the cable running through the hole(s) (no termination). The best case scenario signal-wise is to have an unbroken run of cable from the dish to the STB.

If you have a preference, you should discuss what you want to end up with (not how you plan to circumvent/re-route/compromise their installation) with the installer beforehand. If your plan makes sense, the installer may do it that way in the first place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)