Install question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diddy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2006
I am planning on signing up for DirectTV soon (early spring) since I just got an HDTV (I have basic cable that I despise). I plan on getting HD right away with a HDDVR (I only need one). However I have a few concerns.

1) I live in Minnesota. It tends to snow a lot. How is this going to stand up to snow on a roof?
2) I already know that a roof install is my only option since I live in a townhouse and I have trees in the back.
3) Said trees go above the single story unit, but end a few feet past the neighbors unit roof (I will attach a photo when I get a chance). However I can visibly see the southern sky.

My main concern is the trees on the back of the unit. The association has no issues with dishes (you have to approve) but the branches are higher than the unit. The association controls the trees.

Now I do have the neighbors permission for the dish to be placed on the edge of the roof if trees are an issue - but what worries me is if the installer will be particular about where on the roof the dish will be placed. Of course all this can be avoided if the tree height won't be an issue. The tree is about 10-15 feet from the house and extends above the only story by about 6 feet or so but as far as I am aware, the branches don't touch the roof.

The snow issue is a real biggie for me since I do not possess a method to get on the roof and if cleaning is necessary, I really don't think the association would want me on the roof anyway.

Here are the best pictures I hace immediatly. The tree in teh front closest to the door is going away in a couple of monthes:

Picasa Web Albums - Paul - House Picture...

I would appreciate any feedback on what they would do for an install since I would prefer not to waste money if there isn't an option.

I will put another picture that shows the roof better.

I am planning on signing up for DirectTV soon (early spring) since I just got an HDTV (I have basic cable that I despise). I plan on getting HD right away with a HDDVR (I only need one). However I have a few concerns.

1) I live in Minnesota. It tends to snow a lot. How is this going to stand up to snow on a roof?
2) I already know that a roof install is my only option since I live in a townhouse and I have trees in the back.
3) Said trees go above the single story unit, but end a few feet past the neighbors unit roof (I will attach a photo when I get a chance). However I can visibly see the southern sky.

My main concern is the trees on the back of the unit. The association has no issues with dishes (you have to approve) but the branches are higher than the unit. The association controls the trees.

Now I do have the neighbors permission for the dish to be placed on the edge of the roof if trees are an issue - but what worries me is if the installer will be particular about where on the roof the dish will be placed. Of course all this can be avoided if the tree height won't be an issue. The tree is about 10-15 feet from the house and extends above the only story by about 6 feet or so but as far as I am aware, the branches don't touch the roof.

The snow issue is a real biggie for me since I do not possess a method to get on the roof and if cleaning is necessary, I really don't think the association would want me on the roof anyway.

Here are the best pictures I hace immediatly. The tree in teh front closest to the door is going away in a couple of monthes:

I would appreciate any feedback on what they would do for an install since I would prefer not to waste money if there isn't an option.

I will put another picture that shows the roof better.

Best site survey tool.

Try this. Place satellite dish using sun or moon

You'll need this:
DishPointer.com » Satellite Dish Pointer / Alignment Calculator with Google Maps

and these:
99.2W
101.0W
102.8W
109.8W
119.0W

Best site survey tool.

Try this. Place satellite dish using sun or moon

You'll need this:
DishPointer.com » Satellite Dish Pointer / Alignment Calculator with Google Maps

and these:
99.2W
101.0W
102.8W
109.8W
119.0W

I appreciate the response however can you be a bit more precise for me on what you are talking about? I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to all of this site and nothing on that site you point out makes any sense to me. I really don't need anything too technical.

Another problem is that I cannot response from home since I don;t have internet access there.

I appreciate the response however can you be a bit more precise for me on what you are talking about? I am a bit of an idiot when it comes to all of this site and nothing on that site you point out makes any sense to me. I really don't need anything too technical.

Another problem is that I cannot response from home since I don;t have internet access there.

You probably didn't notice the links in his post. Click where it says "place satellite dish" and "dishpointer".

You probably didn't notice the links in his post. Click where it says "place satellite dish" and "dishpointer".
No I saw that, but I have no idea what to put where. Hech, I cannot even understand what those two sites are supposed to tell me. Thats what I was asking for, clarification on what to put into that first website since I can't get my hear around what they are talking about.

ETA: I will add a few more pictures for reference, but I really want to know is, with my trees as they are with my townhouse, it is even going to worth my time to get a dish limited as I am to a roof mount or would DTV install the dish at another place on the connected unit (say my neighbors house - I have their OK) and just run extra cable to the point where the trees no longer exist (that just leaves the snow question then).

If I am not making myself clear, let me know, but I an mot very experienced with the terminology so please bear with me as I push onward.

Go here Dish Pointer punch in your zip. Then get a compass( one that shows degrees) and then match up the compass to the azimuth. That should tell you if you have a shot or not.

Ok, that helps. But can you explain exactly what azimuth is so I know what to compare it to? I am kinda ignorant about all this so please bear with a complete newbie for a while longer.

It's the direction the dish will point

OK, If I understand this - that second site provides the azimuth and that will tell me how high the dish will point to (hopefully above the tree line) correct?

Correct, it will give a good idea on the direction. As the 3LNB and 5LNB dishes are just a bit different than that site shows. You can also just post your zip and we can check the right direction for you

Correct, it will give a good idea on the direction. As the 3LNB and 5LNB dishes are just a bit different than that site shows. You can also just post your zip and we can check the right direction for you

I assume the 5LB is the newest correct? OK. My zip code is 55447.

Thanks for all the assistance!

I am also a newb. So for this gentleman with an azimuth of 190 degrees his dish would need to face almost exactly due south?( which would be 180 degrees from north) My zip is 01851 which gives me about a 255 degree azimuth I believe which would be pretty much southwest. I do have a southwest LOS however their are some 4 story townhomes roughly about 1000 feet in the distance.

There is also the angle of the dish to be considered. Odds are that that will help you see past those buildings. Also the actual beam from the sat comes from a little higher still' The beam bouces off the dish to the LNB.

I am also a newb. So for this gentleman with an azimuth of 190 degrees his dish would need to face almost exactly due south?( which would be 180 degrees from north) My zip is 01851 which gives me about a 255 degree azimuth I believe which would be pretty much southwest. I do have a southwest LOS however their are some 4 story town homes roughly about 1000 feet in the distance.
Yea on my roof due south is right on the top of the tree line. Angle is the one thing that I worry about because the tees end at about 8-9 feet from my roof. Of course if they can install past my roof to teh other side of the unit (basically about 5 feet from my roof its basically clear all the way. But if the degree goes over my tree line it really doesn't matter.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts