Install question

jrv331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
NE Ohio
I posted a question of not being able to pick up 61.5 after a new install and after reading a few threads have a follow up question. I have the 1000.4 system with a 722/222 which was installed on Monday. The tech tried for three hours but could not get the 61.5 satellite at all. They are coming back in morning, am I better off just telling him to install a second dish? Im just wondering about future loss given the problems already. My other satellite, 72 comes in fine with a perfect picture. Im not thrilled about having two dishes on the top of the house, but what ever works the best is what Im after.

I have no locals at all with out 61.5

Thanks
John

I love the two dish installations. In fact I'm seriously thinking about installing a third so I can have a dish for each satellite...110, 119, and 129. I cannot get satellite 61.5 due to two 60' tall tress in line of sight.

The reason I like the individual dish for each satellite, is the ease of obtaining a true signal from each one. I have a D/N 500 with a DP single LN pointed to 129. My signal was poor...25 to 25 signal at best. I remove the dish from the bracket, and applied stainless steel film to the dish surface. This is the stuff that one can buy on the INTERNET to apply to refrigerators, stoves, etc. My signal to 129 went from 25 to 85 on most transponders.

I have a D/N 1000.2 for 110 and 119, but I have a new in carton Dish 500 that I may setup the same for 119, and buy another Dish 500 just for 110. and ebay the Dish 1000.2 unit.

I posted a question of not being able to pick up 61.5 after a new install and after reading a few threads have a follow up question. I have the 1000.4 system with a 722/222 which was installed on Monday. The tech tried for three hours but could not get the 61.5 satellite at all. They are coming back in morning, am I better off just telling him to install a second dish? Im just wondering about future loss given the problems already. My other satellite, 72 comes in fine with a perfect picture. Im not thrilled about having two dishes on the top of the house, but what ever works the best is what Im after.

I have no locals at all with out 61.5

Thanks
John

What did the installer tell you was the problem? What is he planning to do tomorrow?

I cannot get the 119/125 satellites because of trees, my only options are the 61.5, 72 and 77(which I"m told is not online yet). My current signal strength is around 28 right now for the 72. I"m thinking of telling the installer to just install a second dish and forget about playing around trying to get both signal from one dish - the first guy would have done it if it was possible.

The first installer never figured out what the problem was, he spent 3 hrs moving the dish around and never got a signal from the 61.5. After doing all he could he he finally gave up and sad to call and have a more expirenced installer come out - he said the 1000.4 systems were having all kinds of problems. He had only been on the job 6 weeks. Again Im thinking of just asking for the second dish right off the bat.

John

If all your getting on 72 is 28 you had better cancel your install you need at least a 50 to have a chance of reliable pictures.

Still waiting for the installer to arrive but a quick check of my signal strength shows its at 21. Hopefully he can fine tune it some more.
Thanks
John

If he's only been on the job six weeks it sounds to me like you have a line of sight issue with the mention of trees.

Yeah, I have found over the years that the majority of the time, when a new guy is having a hard time with signal, it is a Line of Sight issue.... either that or they are using a mast that is not plum/level (funny how when they call you, they swear they have double checked Line of Sight and the mount).

There is a chance the reflector or the arm of the dish is bent too (things can get banged around pretty bad in a van full of metal)... but with a Dish 500, it has to be bent pretty severely to not pick up good signal from a single satellite.

The installer came and took all of ten minutes to fix the problem. The first tech had some wires crossed and the dish off a few degrees. After a little fine tuning my signal strength is 59-61, lot better than before. Quick question, when checking the signal strength the 72 satellite is whats showing. How would I go about checking the 61.5 or do I need to?
Thanks
John

Yes you do need to check you have a 90 day installation warranty and it sounds like you may need it. Menu 6-1-1 then use either left or righ arrow to highlight sayellites. Up or down will move you to 61.5 then right will move you to transponders signal strength is displayed on bottom right.

Actually I have the DSCP(?) plan for 9 months free - they will come out and take care of any problems. I know the screen your talking about but didnt want to meake any changes for fear of messing things up. I know how to change the sat/transponder, but what transponders should I be looking for? I only see the current one for the 72 satellite which is currently at 61 signal strength.

I did ask the installer if he would try to tweak the signal and he said that the norm for this system is 55-70 and didnt want to start messing with the dish. Its not something Im looking to do either not knowing what Im doing.

Thanks
John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)