install question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The wire can be grounded to a nearby cold water pipe (note: hot water shouldn't be use due to the water heater). This assumes that you are using a metal pipe from the ground pipe all the way to where the supply line is grounded. If the supply isn't grounded, you shouldn't use a cold water pipe.

The grounding isn't there to ground the system when lightning strikes. That bolt of lightning has just traveled several miles in thin air, has several thousand amps and a few million volts. Do you really think that a little piece of copper wire will survive? The grounding wire is to disapate the static buildup as well as serve as a path to ground in case a power line would come into contact with the system. The disapation of static charge will help reduce the likelyhood of attracting lighting, but doens't prevent it.

Only one line needs to be grounded in the system. A ground block is not necessary as you can use your multiswitch as a groundblock as long as your switch is at your service entry. If the switch is mounted on the dish or inside, you still should use a ground block at the house entry point. You are free to use both though. Since the shield of the coax (what's grounded) is shared between all lines when they reach the multiswitch, each line doesn't have to be seperately grounded, but once again it won't hurt. If you have multiple grounding blocks and/or switches, they must be connected together, preferably by the same piece of copper to the same ground point. Don't forget to ground your dish if things are seperate. The LNBs are grounded through the coax, so you don't have to worry about them, but the LNBs don't have a metal connection to the dish. Also don't forget about an OTA antenna if you have one.

The entire system has to be grounded to the same system that the house is grounded. The preferable way is to run the grounding wire stright to the service ground and use the same grounding rod. A 2nd grounding rod can be installed, but the two must be bonded together. If not, you can create a ground loop, cause more problems then solves, and possibly effect the advantage of grounding the system.

u4ea said:
Well, I complained and told dish what the installer did... They didnt think that sounded good at all, and they are having an "area Supervisor" coming out on Sunday to look at the install and fix what might need fixing (i.e. the whole shabang in my opinion). :no :shocked :eek: :( :confused:

Heres a link to a small photo gallery I created to show the install....
The pictures show an unacceptable job. I would demand that they come out and fix it at once (sounds like this is already happening). I would also contact a local building inspector. If they are doing this in other homes, they are most likely violating NEC. An addition, it looks like crap. I would never accept it based only on cosmetic appearance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)