Install question

rob321

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Atlanta GA
I had a direct tv tech out to my house yesterday to install the dish and it has to be on a pole because im renting the place, he placed the pole on the corner of my house and my neighbor has direct tv and our houses are only like 8 ft apart and their dish was on the side of their house maybe only 3 ft higher then my dish which was installed on a pole well anyways he says he can not find a signal and it cant be installed. Can he check the signal from outside i thought he had to check on the tv? The guy had beer on his breath so i dont know if that had anything to do with it but my question is if direct tv could not find a signal would i be able to use dish network? and he just connected it through my cable lines that are already have and the previous owner has not had the cable turned off yet i dont know if that would make a difference or not. thanks for the help

Dish networks core sat(119) is lower to the horizon than Directs(101). However I would get another tech out there. I have went to serveral over the years where I was the second tech out and the owner would say first tech said no line of sight.
On some the first was right, on a lot though they just didn't want to try hard enough. I have had two that I can think of off hand that I almost fell on the ground laughing, perfect line of site almost anywhere on the property. More than likely if your neighbor has a god LOS you probably do too. Yes most techs have a meter they can check outside.

Also if he hooked straight to the cable that is there and it has had or has cable tv now. If there are splitters hidden somewhere in the crawl space or attic, he wont get a signal through.

i just called them and the lady said since he closed the work order thst no one else can come back out. so i will try getting dish network i guess

rob321 said:
i just called them and the lady said since he closed the work order thst no one else can come back out. so i will try getting dish network i guess
Do you have any satellite dealers where you live go directly to one he will be far more interested in your business.:)

Do what boba siad, look in the phone book for a local guy, local address and local phone number. Stay away from the 800 #'s and internet sightd.

I had a local guy out here yesterday and he found a line of sight with no problems and he only charged me 10..00 for the pole. I think the DTV installer was just lazy!

The DTV installer may not lazy, he maybe just work for the fulfillment company and can not be charge you the pole and maybe don't want to go through all the red tape,Lots these fulfillment companies are under pay.

I would say he was just lazy. Ive seen lots of techs NLOS a job just cause they dont want to do pole mounts and its not cause they dont get paid. Its laziness.

I'll own up.

I'll No LOS an apartment pole mount in a heartbeat, unless it is in my zip code. There are contractual reasons for that. Simply put, if I install it, I have to guarantee it. E* are pricks and won't pay for dish realignment on a service call, so unless the customer offers to pay a service call up front, I'm not gonna pyt myself in the position to let E* screw me. If it is in my zipcode (or the one where I have my PO box), the customer will not be charged, AND--AND, they get my cell #.

The reason it has to be this way is that I am one of the installers that doesn't bitch about mileage, so I get all the long haul jobs. I can't be driving an hour to realign a dish because some jackass from the lawn care company bumped it, and I don't have time to chase them down for the money. I already pull in less than a buck a mile most days (before costs/taxes/labor, ect). Last year, I burned up 52,000 miles (on MY truck!!!) for less than $40,000 (BEFORE COSTS!!!)

In the last month, I have had 3 (!) 4 room D* customers wanting to switch to E*, and I've had to walk away from that easy money due to LOS. I hate that!!!!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts