install scheduled soon, what can I expect/ask for

Status
Please reply by conversation.

supermaxhd

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
I just purchased a Samsung 75" 4k TV and it is scheduled for delivery Friday. I also ordered DirecTV from a DirecTV rep at my local best buy store on the same day. Installation is also scheduled for Friday. The TV has built in DirecTV RVU and will be my only TV. When I ordered I explained I wanted to use the RVU feature on the TV and not have any DirecTV equipment in sight. He placed the order for two TV's so I would get a Genie setup and said I could cancel the second TV to save the $6.50 monthly charge after the install. Is this correct? Also, what equipment is the latest that I should be looking for, HR44-700, etc? thanks for any help!

You can't use the RVU feature on the TV without the Genie, and the Genie will have to be connected to a TV, so I'm not sure what you expect to happen.

Tough situation. Hooking the Genie directly to the TV it would give you the best experience. That, however, isn't compatible with DirecTV current 4K offerings, which only consist of $15 PPV movies.

If you forgot the RVU client, and operate the Genie on an HDMI input, you will have a faster user interface, better experience, and the only miss/loss is the 4K PPV movies, and eliminate the extra TV fee.

By the time that 4K programming is readily available on DirecTV, they likely will have a 4K compatible Genie that you could upgrade to.

Not unthoughtul at all. If you want to use the RVU on the TV, you still need the Genie and it still needs to be connected to the TV, and if you only have one TV, that defeats the point of the RVU.

supermaxhd, you have to have a Genie, or at least a dvr to use the rvu function in the tv. That means you would have to have two tvs hooked up. You could use just the Genie and run the wires through the wall if you are wall mounting the tv, or if you are using the tv stand, run the wires behind the stand to the back of the tv.

supermaxhd, you have to have a Genie, or at least a dvr to use the rvu function in the tv. That means you would have to have two tvs hooked up. You could use just the Genie and run the wires through the wall if you are wall mounting the tv, or if you are using the tv stand, run the wires behind the stand to the back of the tv.
I only have one TV. I made clear to the Best Buy DirecTv sales rep I intended to use the RVU in my TV (and one of the reasons I was choosing Samsung which I purchased on the same Best Buy trip). From what I get here I 'can not' simply cancel my second TV after it is installed and use RVU. The DirecTV sales rep also promised I will be getting 'latest/greatest' DirecTV hardware. What is the 'latest/greatest' DirectTV hardware? Is it sill the HR44-700 that came out last summer?

I may just cancel my DirecTV order and wait for a 4k Genie or a 4k Dish receiver.

The sales reps at the big box stores are notorious for "stretching the truth". They don't actually work for Directv. The HR44 is the latest, but you could get an HR34. You can tell the installer when he calls/arrives that you want the HR44 (better unit) or you will cancel and wait until he has the HR44. There will likely be a receiver/dvr with 4k capabilities soon, but no one knows publicly when.

The HR44 is the latest and is an excellent receiver other than not support 4K yet, otherwise is well reviewed and a top performer. If the installer only has a refurb HR34 available ask to reschedule and be insistent that you will only accept a HR44. They should not have a problem with that, you are the customer, it is your choice.

To use RVU you must have the Genie to be the "server". It doesn't have to be by your new Samsung TV but would need to be present to run the RVU client.

That said, I reiterate you will have a much better user experience (interface speed, reaction speed, faster playback, faster skip/FFW/rewind, etc) with using the Genie as a receiver on that not TV and not using RVU.

To get an idea on how RVU performs read threads about people that have used the client receivers, C31 or C41, the RVU will perform just like that. Many people are OK with the clients, others have paid money to switch to a conventional receiver after using them.

As for waiting for a 4K Genie, I would say that is at least 6 months out, if not a year or more.

As Chip posted, the sales reps at Best Buy don't work for DirecTV, they work for a third party company and the company only gets paid if they sign you up. Also their knowledge of DirecTv is often pretty limited.

You must have an HR34 or HR44 Genie for the RVU to work, because the RVU acts as an extension to the Genie, it's not a self-contained device. Although it's possible to have the Genie somewhere where it's not permanently connected to a TV, it's pretty impractical because you need a connectedTV to set everything up, and to reset everything if there are problems. Regardless, you would be paying for two TVs (Genie plus RVU).

I have the HR44, a C41 client connected to a Tv and an RVU TV. That's also the order of "user experience", the RVU is definitely the slowest of all of them. Although my RVU TV is a couple of years old and the newer ones are supposedly much faster.

From what I can tell the only difference between the HR44-500 AND 700 is the 700 has wireless and a newer style remote. Is this correct? thanks

The HR44 uses the same remote and has wifi regardless of the -500 or -700. The sub-number on the model is the manufacturer code, but the device/operation/accessories is identical.

From what I can tell the only difference between the HR44-500 AND 700 is the 700 has wireless and a newer style remote. Is this correct? thanks
The -500 and -700 are identical apart from the manufacturer

Thanks for the help. What confused me was the HR44-700 'first look' on the other site that said it was the fastest DVR to date and it mentioned WIFI and newer remote where the HR44-500 first look I saw didn't.

Probably because (I'm guessing) the -500 was released after the -700 so the report was supplemental.

I ended up getting a Genie HR44-500 and mini Genie for a second TV. I also signed up for the protection plan when the installer was still on site. I have a problem maybe someone here can offer a suggestion for before I have to call the protection plan support back. After 36 hours I was noticing that much of the 'on demand' programming channels were still unavailable. I called protection plan support and told them that in attempting to resolve this on my own I had switched the connection to wired Ethernet. The installer had set it up wirelessly. They(protection plan support) told me I should not use wired for my internet connection as the playlists on my other TV's would not be available. They did some basic troubleshooting and walked me through setting my Genie back up wirelessly. I politely obliged. I am a 30 year career IT guy so I know a little about networking. After setting the Genie back up wirelessly, checking for connected internet and network services they said I may need to wait another day and sure enough after another day most of the 'on demand' channels are now available.

But what is really been happening that I realize caused the 'on demand' delays....two days later I am realizing that each time I turn my TV on the Genie is going through a full power on (step 1 then step 2). After a period of inactivity on the TV the Genie is fully powering off. I disabled 'power saver' on the Genie. I thought maybe I had plugged the Genie into a 'smart power' power strip but I didn't. I turned of HDMI control on the Genie (not sure if that would matter or if the Genie works with HDMI CEC control).

So my question is...what else would be causing my Genie to fully power off when the TV is not on?

thanks,

only thing that would come to mind is the outlet the genie is on might be a switched outlet? i would try turning off the TV and leaving the genie on to see if the genie will randomly turn it self off with the TV off. it DOES support HDMI CEC control, its under preferences in settings i think. but that shouldn't matter because all it would do is the equivalent of pressing the off button on the remote, not a full power down.

My HR44 is connected to ethernet with no problem, the only issue is if you connect another receiver in the house to ethernet too, but didn't sound like that was the case.

I can tell you it takes 24-48 hours after setup and being connected to internet before on demand channels are available, there is a lot of back end downloads that happen to load that content after the receiver is setup (or rebooted).

Usually if it still isn't working after that time your receiver may need to be double-rebooted, which clears the cache so to speak and will redownload things (like guide, on demand, etc) over the next 24-48 hours.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)