install tommorow

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
i have a tech coming to my house between 12 and 1pm tommorow to install the new hopper what should i do when he comes tommorow.

Thanks

Allen

I would stay out of his way and just let him do the job

oh and dont ask if __________________ is going to be in HD on Dish anytime soon. ;)

i think i have a problem the hopper will be in my bedroom do you think i will need a joey for another bedroom?or can you hook the hopper to another bedroom without a joey.any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen

I would not put the Hopper in a bedroom. Any DVR in a bedroom is a problem unless you leave your TV on all night or just like noise in general. The Hopper has the hard drive in it so you're going to hear that constantly and every night when it takes it's download it's going to be even louder. So, unless you have a house that's already a little noisy at night I would not put the Hopper there. You may not notice it during the day when there are other noises to drown it out but in the middle of the night when it's dead silent it will drive you nuts.

My wife and I don't notice. One of our HWS is in our bedroom.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I would agree that Joey is a good fit for the bedroom over the Hopper as jar as noise, sound and convenance

But to each there own

In the past we would never put a DVR in a bedroom but the Hoppers are really, really quiet. From what I'm told at about 1:30 AM you hear them go whoosh when they reboot and that's about it.

In the past we would never put a DVR in a bedroom but the Hoppers are really, really quiet. From what I'm told at about 1:30 AM you hear them go whoosh when they reboot and that's about it.

I will admit that the Hoppers are more quiet than previous DVRs.

i think i have a problem the hopper will be in my bedroom do you think i will need a joey for another bedroom?or can you hook the hopper to another bedroom without a joey.any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen
The need for a Joey to support another bedroom depends on your viewing habits. If you watch the same program in both bedrooms you can feed signals to both bedrooms and get a second remote. For example, run HDMI to the master bedroom TV and analog component to the other bedroom TV. You can also split the HDMI signal to two TVs. If you expect the two bedrooms to view different programming then an additional Joey will probably be necessary. You may also be able to share the main TV output with one of the bedrooms if conflicts can be avoided that way.

Installs do not normally cover "mirroring" connections, additional remotes or video splitters so expect to pay extra for feeding the additional bedroom or do it yourself. A heads up to the installer is also a good idea.

If you mirror to the second bedroom using RF, you'll need a modulator regardless if you share the Hopper or a Joey output since neither has an RF output. Using composite or RF connections presents only an SD picture so quality will suffer significantly. SD video on even a modestly sized HD TV looks pretty bad.

An additional Joey would cost $7/mo and maybe some additional $$ up front.

Remember that the Hopper supports PIP, has HDMI, analog component and composite video outputs. It does make some noise due to the hard drive and fan. The fan runs at full speed briefly during the nightly reboot. A Joey does not have a hard drive or fan so is perfectly quiet, but it does not have PIP and has fewer output options (e.g., no analog component).

I have had a Hopper in the bedroom for a year and a half, a 722k and 622 before that. So for many years had DVRs in the bedroom with no problem. That includes five years full time in a motorhome (small bedroom).

i called dish just a minute ago there will be a hopper and a joey coming to our house.i wanted to ask you how do you hook up the hopper to your wireless modem.any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Allen

If your going to connect to your wireless network. It's pretty much menu driven. As you go through the steps it will ask for your password similar to if you were going to use other wireless products in your home. I think the tech will also go through the steps

If you have a wireless network password, make sure you have it before the tech comes (or can obtain it easily while the tech is there). The tech set up my Hopper to the internet, but I had a live ethernet cable already there for them (along with HDMI already connected to my AV receiver). I'm not sure how much effort they will put into finding the password if you don't know it.

i have my password written down on a piece of paper so he will know it when he sets it up.

As a tech I can tell you to just show the guy the rooms and let him do the work and move on. Don't hover, that is the worst thing to do.

Make sure all furniture and area's behind the TV's are clear and entertainment centers or desks are all moved a good distance from wall to allow the guy to get back behind them as it will be needed in most cases. The location of the hopper does NOT matter - the only thing that does matter is the hopper is on RG6 3Ghz cable and if at all possible to avoid inspection fail is to not use perfect vision and if you have perfect vision cable and you don't care (cause it will work just fine) then tell the guy you won't be letting no inspectors into the home to verify that stupid crap.

Any pets you have be sure they are secured into a room he does NOT have to go into and if you have dog(s) that regularly do their thing in the yard where he needs to go then please go scoop around!! If you have really clean floors and don't wish them to get dirty consider laying down old rugs for him to walk on so he doesn't have to stop and remove/put on little shoe booties which are annoying unless really needed - you get the idea.

The HWS has a wireless adapter built in - have your password to the network written down and ready for him. Buy some screen cleaner for your TV - its great stuff and they have to try to sell some all the time and I'm sure you will need it so $15 won't break you...also tip the guy, the work doesn't pay much and he's doing way more work than any pizza delivery guy will ever do!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)