Installation for HD-Tivo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

squicken

Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2004
First off, I apologize for posting another "new to DirecTV" thread. But I've come across conflicting information on my questions, and was hoping for the final word.

I'm doing a 1-room setup, with the only receiver being the HD-Tivo. My current setup for Voom is one coaxial line coming into my apartment from the dish, and one coax line coming from the OTA antenna. I want the full functionality of the unit, which I understand has 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA tuners. My questions are:

1. Will my installer need to run an additional coax line into my apartment? I have permission to drill the wall, but would prefer not to if I don't have to. Can he use a diplexer or combiner (if I'm using these words out of place, I apologize)?

2. What is required to connect 2 lines from my OTA antenna. Can he just use a splitter? Does the receiver has this function built in in terms of splitting the OTA signal? I have a preamp, with the power supply about 12 inches of line away from the receiver. Will this be an issue?

3. What can I expect in terms of installation? I won't get charged for him running extra coaxial to all these connections will I? What about if he needs to use the diplexer or what not? Is there an additional charge?

Thanks for any help. I used ValueElectronics based on the reccomendations of many others on this forum, and the sales experience was excellent.

When I asked the associate about a switch, she said I didn't need one since it was only one room. Is this something I'm going to be charged for?

VOOMER said:
Sorry squicken you will just need 2 lines from Phase III dish as you stated .
I have never tried diplexing the OTA to this dish when only using 2 lines.
Misread your post a bit. You mention 2 lines for OTA ???

You still would need to diplex the 1 run with your OTA outside then and diplex it again at the receiver to split the signal to your receiver.

Voomer, thanks for your help. I guess I'm a little confused. I assumed since the receiver had 2 tuners, I would need to run 2 lines from my OTA into the receiver, and 2 lines from the satellite dish. But looking at pictures of the unit, it has 3 coax inputs? So 2 are for the satellite dish, and one is for OTA? I know these are basic questions, but the tivocommunity FAQ is incredibly unweildly.

You will need two cables, with one cable diplexed to inject OTA. At receiver, you will connect another diplexer to the same line to seperate out the OTA, which will go to Antenna input. The Tivo has an internal splitter, so you do not need two OTA lines. You do, however, need two SAT inputs in order to have full functionability with the HD Tivo.

Hope this clears things up. Good luck with your new receiver. You will love it.

Al

Isn't my preamp/OTA setup incompatible with combining the OTA signal? How about this:

1. I'll leave my OTA line intact, into DVR.

2. I currently have now one remaining line into the house to carry the satellite signal. Can I diplex outside, the diplex again inside so I have two connections from dish. (plus OTA seperately)

VOOMER said:
Diplexors will only combine an OTA and Satellite signal

You can not get 2 sat feeds from 1 using the diplexor.

You will need 2 lines for your receiver alone / If you want OTA you will need a 3rd line for that or it has to be combined with 1 sat. feed coming from the dish and then diplexed at the receiver to go to both the receiver and the OTA input on your receiver.
I didn't know that. So I guess I'll need another line run. Thanks again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts