Installation Issues Revisited

mebrown998

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Vicksburg, MS
I'm posting for a friend of mine who was scheduled for an new install between 8am and noon today. After calling the Dishstore to set up new service, and confirming an install time with them on this past Friday, he subsequently was contacted by Dish Network on Saturday and by Satellites Unlimited (in the west central Mississippi area) on Sunday of his 4 hour time range (8am to noon today). Each time he also confirmed his contact numbers in case the installer had difficulty finding the house, delays, etc.

Noon came and went. 1pm came and went. Finally around 2pm he decided to call Dish Network after the local installer phone number was busy. After being on and off hold for about 35 minutes, they finally tell him that there is no installer even IN our town, much less one that is just tied up with a complicated install, and they wanted to reschedule for Wednesday afternoon. (Wednesday PM? Really??)

Flash back to Friday - my friend, who would be out of town all weekend, had his existing satellite television service cut off in anticipation of the fresh Dish install on Monday AM. So much for reasonable good faith.

Dish offered to give a 20 dollar credit because of the problem. (I am amazed by this, I can't remember ever hearing of a credit due to an installation problem). Of course his wasted day is worth much more than 20 dollars. In the end, they "swear" that an installer will be onsite tomorrow morning at 8:00 to install the service, if they can even make such a promise..

I, personally, have never had an issue with an installation, or appointment, and I realize that satellite installers are overloaded and underpaid. My main question is "Why confirm an installation appointment time three separate times with three separate companies (one being the actual company doing the installation) and then getting told after wasting 7 hours that an installer is not even in the same town?" This just can't be allowed to continue. It looks bad on Dish (which I could care less about), but also on Dishstore, which I recommended to him to go through. Especially when Dishstore couldn't say anything more than, "I'm sorry, you need to call Dish Network at 1-800-xxxxxx." Gee thanks.

Finally, the installer showed up this morning closer to 12 than to 8 and successfully installed the new setup. After about a 1.5 minute look around the house, he became the HD LOCAL Nazi (not a racist remark, just a reference to the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld) and said "No HD Locals for you!!" and that was it, no 1000.4 dish.

How likely is it that Dish will mirror the HD Locals to 129 or another for those of us that cannot see 61.5 and have no other alternative?

if your bud got a 222k or a 722k or any receiver with an ATSC tuner, just place a local antenna if any stations are near, much better PQ than dish SD "bucket type" locals. and no signal loss during the rain :D

as for dish, tell your buddy to call the loyalty dept, they should work things out, if not just tell them you are going to cancel the service

works 99% of the time

if the threat does not work just say the magic word :angel:"Supervisor":angel:

Finally, the installer showed up this morning closer to 12 than to 8 and successfully installed the new setup. After about a 1.5 minute look around the house, he became the HD LOCAL Nazi (not a racist remark, just a reference to the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld) and said "No HD Locals for you!!" and that was it, no 1000.4 dish.

How likely is it that Dish will mirror the HD Locals to 129 or another for those of us that cannot see 61.5 and have no other alternative?

Zero. Only some of the major cities are mirrored on 129 and 61.5.

It's all about bandwidth and the current sats don't have enough to mirror all the HD locals.

Now, with futher advancements in technology with future satellites, who knows.

But that doesn't help your friend right now.

Thanks guys. He did get a 722K, but in the area he lives (and me as well), there are too many hills between us and the TV broadcast antennas ~50 miles away. I started looking into it last year. I may have to look again now.

Question, with the switchover from Analog to Digital, would this help or hinder the signal that we might get here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)