Installation?multiswitch question for newbie

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

richk2

Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
I am confused by a choice being offered by the installer and would appreciate advice. I had originally intended to install two dtivos and have already received them as well as a Directv "Multi-satellite dish antenna with Integrated Triple and Built-in Multiswitch". I more or less understood that you need 4 connectors for two tivos and that this satellite has it. I have now decided to add one basic receiver so I guess I don't have enough connections and I am being offered a choice of a free "3x4" switch or a 5x8 that I have to pay for. I do not understand the explanation of the difference but somehow adding the 3x4 seems like its downgrading the satellite because most of the outlets would be limited to the "101 main satellite". Is that bad so that I should pay for the 5 x8 switch even though I don't seem to need it for my present needs? To the extent that I think this information is relevant, I do not have hd and if I got it in the future would not likely get more than one, I do not need Spanish channels and I live in a Chicago suburb.

Can you have two lines running off of the triple LNB dish to a powered switch and then onto a bunch of standard / hd recievers?

At one location i have an old single lnb dish that i want to upgrade to take advantage of an HDTV, but do not want to string more cables from the dish all over the place.

Currently, there are two RG6 cables from the single LNB to a switch and then on to 5 rooms with recievers. Can i replace the dish, use the two RG6 to go into the switch, and then form the switch the rooms, or does something else need to be done?

Thanks

I've heard that since the triple LNB dish has a multiswitch built in that in order to hook up another switch you would need to hook up all 4 lines of the built in multiswitch for it to work properly.

Hmmm.

Is their a crossover cable equivilant for connecting switches together (like wiring ethernet switches together?)

Running more cables would be a royal pain, the dish is on one end of the house and the wiring closet is in the basement on the opposite end.

Are the two RG6 from the existing dish like a send and receive or something, a + and - signal from the dish into the multiswitch? It doesnt have any built in switch so i wonder why it needs two pieces of coax.

Bumping

I want to see if anyone has an answer to this becuase i will hopefully upgrading an old system to HD compaitable in the next week.

I currently have a single LNB dish with two RG6 coax coming out of it into a large multiswitch that serves 5 recievers in the house.

I want the 3LNB dish, which has the built in switch.

Is it possible to hook up the 3LNB dish from one of coax ports through the RG6 into the multiswitch?

I have two lines run right now, and running more is out of the question. I am not about to drill through more brick and morter to get more lines in.

How can I go about linking a new 3LNB dish to a multiswitch by using a rg6 from the switch out on the dish into a switch in the basement?

It is a TERK switch (2x8 maybe?)

You will need the 5X8 because you have to hook up all 4 lines coming from the dish to it.

So I have to run another 2 lines to the switch no matter what?

I will be in the location saturday night so i will post what the switch is and the actual wiring configuration.

I do want to upgrade that dish to the 3LNB ASAP in time for the Olympics though.

What you can do is have the switch go right after the dish, and hook up your two existing lines to that switch. I'm not sure if there's a minimun length cables have to run, but that would be your best bet to avoid having to run two more long runs.

I will probubly end up running at least the two more RG6 runs, the switch is powered (i think it is a 5x8, it has to be).

I wonder why all 4 need to be hooked up out of the dish in order to work correctly? The current dish just has 2 coming into the switch and it works fine.

Could add another Dish just for the HD and mount it right above (on brick alongside a garage)......i don't think a few certain house residents would be to happy about that though.

Does not look like i can get around adding more lines in. It is just a real long run through Brick and under the floor and all over the place............small price to pay for Olympics in HD i guess?

Your current dish is the 18" single LNB correct? That only has 2 hookups on the LNB. That's why you only have 2 runs coming from it.

The phase-3 dish has 4 hookups, thus you need all 4 hooked up for it to work properly with the switch.

Yeah its the single LNB w/ 2 coax out. Dish has been up there for a good 4+ years. Sun faded and everything..........

It is currently installed with a piece of dual coax RG6. Is it possible to get ahold of any of that stuff or is that reserved for the pros? Handles a lot nicer with the two pieces together when trying to hide it.

I'll rock the 3 LNB dish and the new cable into the switch. Antenna comes from the attic down into the wiring closet where all the coax from the house is patched in.

To Answer the...

original question, I have no idea why he is even offering the choice, you should be automatically getting the 5x8 with the system (not sure on if there is a charge for it or not). You can't use the 2x8 with a PhaseIII unless you want to give up the 110 and the 119 (Hi-Def and Locals).

As to the others, You need all 4 from the dish to the multi-switch, there are 2 different polorizations in use on each sat, 1 is 13v (LHP) and the other is 18v (RHP), The 110 and the 119 are selected where the 22khz tone is on, the 101 when it is off.

So for the multi-switch to be able to select the proper Sat and Polorization it need 1 line for the 13v 101, 1 for the 18v 101, 1 for the 13v 110/119 (w/22khz tone) and 1 for the 18v 110/119 (w/22khz tone). Total of 4 lines :rolleyes:

You can use the 2(3)x4(8) but you only can select either the 101 or the 110/119 at any given time and all the receivers are stuck on it :(

I will run two more runs of RG6 into the 5X8. I am tempted to keep the old dish up and just add the second 3LNB dish above it as it is no more than 10 feet from the dish to the HD set, right through the brick wall and into the basement, but i guess i will keep the neighbors happy and only have 1 dish up instead of two.......................

Why does everyone say a 5X8 is required? Unless a OTA feed is needed won't a 4X8 work just fine?

Neutron yes there is a 4x8 switch .but the reason i think they keep saying a 5x8 ic cause its been around for a time and people have them . i myself have a 5x8 just so i can feed ota and fm to the house over existing wires.

I Havn't...

Actually seen a 4x8 for sale (not that I have even thought of looking for one) and have only been given/installed 5x8s, so the answer is that yes a 4x8 will work fine but in general a 5x8 is given:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)