Installation of hardware NOT bought from Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mikecruz

Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
Delray Beach FL
I want to add another HD box to my system. If I were to buy one on eBay, for example, would I be able to connect this to my system without major charges from Dish to activate it? Is what I'm trying to do, even possible?

I want to upgrade one of my standard boxes with an HD box, but Dish is requiring another 2 year contract. Just trying to avoid that.

I want to upgrade one of my standard boxes with an HD box, but Dish is requiring another 2 year contract. Just trying to avoid that.
Chances of avoiding a commitment are exceedingly slim.

Chances of finding a working "owned" HD receiver on eBay are very slim as well.

If you own the hardware there is no additional commitment, just the additional receiver fee while it's active.

Get the R and S numbers from the seller, call Dish and have them see if it can be added to your account.

I've done this a few times (722, 222, and DPP33) without any issue. I just activated the receivers via the Tech Chat and all went fine. No upgrade fees or commitments required.

I would suggest keeping your receipt of payment for the receiver though. There have been stories in the past about Dish claiming the receiver is theirs (leased) instead of owned by the customer.

I'm also pretty sure if you have the DHPP on your account, it will also cover equipment purchased by the customer.

Make sure you have the correct satellite dish setup before trying to upgrade though. If you already have an HD receiver on your account, then you should be fine.