Installation possibilities at site with some cabling installation challenges

Thank you! Do you think I can convince the installer to try the hopper with existing cable? Is he right that the hopper could burn up the cable if it is not rated for 75 ohms? He said "it may work for a while but will eventually burn up." Seemed odd.

No. He's flat wrong. The cable won't "burn up". This is what will happen. If the cable is not rated for the full 3GHz, you will have greater attenuation at the higher frequencies. For instance, if its only rated for 2.2 GHz, anything over 2200 MHz will attenuate faster than the lower frequencies. You will have a greater chance of experiencing signal loss. Now, this is the fun part. Just because it's not rated for 3 GHz, doesn't mean it won't pass 3 GHz. It just means that's all the tested it to. tl;dr If it's not labeled rated for 3 GHz, it's a crap shoot how well it will work. But no, it will by no means "burn up".

If that cable has "Perfect Vision" written on it then that is a big no no - you will have to back the tech up on using it and the tech will have to get approval from a manager but if its 3Ghz it should work fine.

There's nothing physically wrong with Perfect Vision cable. The techs are told to replace it because it usually has DirecTV labeling on it. It's usually solid copper core, which is superior to the copper clad that's normally used.

The solution

I am a Dish technician, and this is what I would do. Assuming that I could get line of sight for a dish, I would run dual cable from the dish to the house and install a ground block where the two cables go inside (he said he has 2 cables going into the house, one was going to be used for DirecTV and there is an unused 2nd cable). Then the Solo node would go in the main room where all the cables are run to. The 2 cables coming in from outside connect to Solo node inputs 1 and 2. From the Solo node Host port, run new wire to the main room Hopper. From the Solo node Client port connect a 2-way splitter and connect the cables to the 2 Joeys in other rooms. Problem solved.

I am a Dish technician, and this is what I would do. Assuming that I could get line of sight for a dish, I would run dual cable from the dish to the house and install a ground block where the two cables go inside (he said he has 2 cables going into the house, one was going to be used for DirecTV and there is an unused 2nd cable). Then the Solo node would go in the main room where all the cables are run to. The 2 cables coming in from outside connect to Solo node inputs 1 and 2. From the Solo node Host port, run new wire to the main room Hopper. From the Solo node Client port connect a 2-way splitter and connect the cables to the 2 Joeys in other rooms. Problem solved.

Good catch...I missed the whole 2 cable part of his post. Put the node in the main room with the Hopper and all your woes are taken care of. Good call.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts